News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 Build - Cam Question

Started by 69fourspd, March 15, 2007, 12:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chryco Psycho

moving the crank gear works the same as moving the cam gear so no problem , as long as your machinist set the valve tip height properly no worrys with lifter preload & no the lash is not adjustable with shafts valve to piston clearance can be checked with the piston 6* before & 6* after tdc & a dial guage , you can compress the valve spring & measure the distance before touching the piston 6* before is exhuast , 6* after is intake

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

firefighter3931

Mike, the method Neil described above is the most accurate way to check P/V clearnce or you can use the clay method. You will have plenty of clearance with that cam.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mikepmcs

Thanks Ron,
this will be an engine in, heads on install.  I know, not the best situation but, i don't want to pull or lift the motor if i don't have to.  Just for info, clearance is good up to .520 ish, on a stock motor,  did I hear that somewhere or did I just dream it. ???

I was just wanting you guys to verify what I was hoping to be already true after research and info from here. 

I appreciate the info as always.

All I need now is a degree kit and i'm ready.   :o

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Chryco Psycho

every engine is different but my experience is 520 is about where the retainer will get close to the valve guide & need more clearance , generally most piston combos are also good to .520 but each piston is different & especially with milled heads & or decks shoudl be checked , higher lift cams used with pistons with no valve reliefs will be the tightest combination

firefighter3931

:iagree: Duration has more of an impact than lift does so a longer duration cam will create more headaches. The 223*.050 k56 is conservative so it will fit with lots of P/V clearance. The .510-.520 is a good rule of thumb to follow for retainer to guide clearance.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs