News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question on 302 heads

Started by Bones68charger, March 13, 2007, 07:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bones68charger

I am going to buy a pair of 302 heads my question is....

Should get some out of a junk yard and have them worked on at a machine shop?

or

Buy a pair with a 3 angle valve job for about $360 = Shipping?

If you suggest get my own, what do you suggest I do to them? I have the valve springs already...

Thanks all!

firefighter3931

Bones, what is the rest of the build ? Cam ? headers ? Intake manifold ? what engine...318 or 360 ? Need more info on what you're looking for out of the engine ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Bones68charger

It's at 318 ,

Engle K4 470 lift 260 Duration,

Mopar Dual plane intake Holley 600 CFM DVS

Going to Get TTI Headers

Going to rebuild with forged pistons

Thanks for the Help!

firefighter3931

That should be a torquey little engine.  :icon_smile_cool: The 302's are pretty descent....i wouldn't worry about hogging out the ports at all. If you go the junkyard route, have them pressure tested for leaks and magnafluxed for cracks. If they pass those tests then have a good 3 angle valvejob done with 30*/45*/60* cuts to the seats. Assuming the valves are servicable....have a 30* backcut done. This will improve low and midlift flow....which is what the engine see's more of anyway. Stainless valves are a nice option if the originals are wasted.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Bones68charger

Thanks for the advise, now if I can just find them, I did junk yard dog search for them and they all want $150 bucks a head I think that is too much for a used head. I have seen them as cheap as $80 a head, but then with shipping $$$. I like in a rural part of Nebraska I should just go cruise down tree lines and I bet there is an old Dodge truck sitting somewhere.

I hope to have it done in June, knock on wood. I am getting really anxious!

firefighter3931

Hopefully you can find a set....the 302's are descent and worth going after. Good luck and keep looking...something will turn up !  :thumbs:

Ron

tkkruzer

try looking in one ton vans, I got mine and the casting # was 53005714 . these are supposed to be the same or at least compatable. got mine for 45$ bucks each. good luck :icon_smile_cool:TK