News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Global Warming believers, I have a question for ya'...

Started by AKcharger, March 12, 2007, 06:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Lebowski

Quote from: MichaelRW on March 16, 2007, 11:54:17 AM
NASA scientist Roy Spencer says in the program that climate scientists need for there to be problems to get more funding. IPCC contributor John Christy says of climate scientists, "We have a vested interest in creating panic because money with then flow to climate scientists." University of London biogeographer Philip Stott says that "If the global warming virago collapses, there will be an awful lot of people out of jobs."

Well there's one of my "alleged" facts...The one about the IPCC being a "POLICY" driven group of "alleged" scientists.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Recharger

Quote from: defiance on March 17, 2007, 10:03:09 AM
How can you possibly say the government WANTS global warming to be believed in its current state??  The administration has REPEATEDLY shown otherwise. 

Sure...this administration has shown otherwise.  (and I credit them for that...so far.)  But D.C. isn't just run by this administration.  Checks and balances, right?  The Dems want back in power and into the whitehouse, and this is their fearmongering tactic to scare the people into voting for them.  THEY are the part of the government that want everyone to believe in human-induced global warming.  You know that argument that the anti-Bush crowd makes, that he's trumping up the threat of terrorism to scare voters into thinking that the country and it's citizens will be vulnerable if he's not the President?  It's the exact same logic the Democrats are using, except they've scaled the 'consequences' up to a global level.  I don't want to turn this too political and risk a lock, so I'll leave it at that.  As 73Dodge mentioned, if the gov't was to allow the proposed environmental policies of the extreme environmentalists, it would send this country into a depression and send all the manufacturing jobs to 3rd world countries who don't have to play by the rules.  I still have enough faith in the government to think they're smart enough not to do that.  I hope....

Myself, I believe the credibility of the majority.  I'm perfectly willing to examine the credibility of the minority, and I truly hope to find someone in that minority whose credibility is without reproach - I'd LOVE to believe that global warming is a lie.  Unfortunately, every time I do research one such source, significant ties to some industry that profits from fossil fuel usage shows up.  No, that's not absolute proof that their work is biased, but it is a plausible source of bias.  And while I believe that there are some few governments who could be biased toward global warming, I cannot believe there could be many.  History has shown governments to be overwhelminglly resistant to pollution controls of any sort until pressure from the public grows severe.

Believe otherwise all you want, but I cannot see how you could accuse me of "ignoring logic and reason".

But you're not willing to examine the credibility of the majority?  You just blindly accept it?  That's a dangerously naive position.  Bad things result when people don't question the majority.  The majority used to kill people who thought the earth wasn't the center of the universe.  Silly, eh?  Extreme example, I know, but the theory is the same.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  ALL the researchers are biased and with some reproach.  Even the ones with the "majority" view.  They all want money as much as the 'minority view' guys do.  What's to say they aren't whoring their results out to the EPAs, Greenpeaces, Sierra Clubs, Al Gores, DuPonts, Monsantos, and GEs of the world?  Isn't it plausible that they are guilty of applying the same type of spin to their scientific data?  Somebody stands to benefit from either position in this matter.  I think there are more that would benefit from "proving" we are to blame for GW that there are that would benefit from "disproving" it.  So couldn't it be logical that their hype machine is bigger and stronger than the 'minority view,' and as a result it makes most people who aren't qualified to know any better think the "majority view" must be true?  "Majority" opinions are still just opinions. 

Call me a global-warming agnostic, I'm not buying into the gloom and doom guilt trip angle. 

Steve P.

I have not seen the Al Gore thing, nor do I spend much time on the Global Warming thing. I just know that we as a people pollute. And we pollute BIG TIME.. I would like to see a time when we are not so dependant on other countries oil and this country gets back on track with making improvements and building a work force. Yes, we have lost many many jobs to other countries. Yes we all have been affected by it. But probably 99% or more of us buy our crap from Walmart and other places that buy MOST of their product from other countries. It does NOT have to be this way.

We need to start spreading the work to once again BUILD AND BUY AMERICAN. KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL.

If we were to cut off everything coming up from Mexico and built it all here it would get expensive, but would put people back to work and would add to the tax role.  If we cut off China we would have to hire the entire country of Mexico to fill the jobs..  :devil:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

John_Kunkel

One term I've seen repeated in this thread is "logic and reason". Hmmmm.

I stand on the highest building on Earth and look at a featureless horizon; it's as flat as an ironing board. A reasonable person would assume the Earth must be flat so, logically, the Earth is flat.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

That's a great analogy because it wasn't so very long ago that the MAJORITY of the worlds greatest scientific minds with the most impeccable credentials all agreed that the world was indeed flat.  In fact, the minority who disagreed could be discredited or worse, lose their life for voicing their dissent.
Hmmmmm, some parallels?

AKcharger

Quote from: Ghoste on March 17, 2007, 06:18:05 PM
That's a great analogy because it wasn't so very long ago that the MAJORITY of the worlds greatest scientific minds with the most impeccable credentials all agreed that the world was indeed flat.  In fact, the minority who disagreed could be discredited or worse, lose their life for voicing their dissent.
Hmmmmm, some parallels?

...he shoots and SCORES! :2thumbs:

Lowprofile

I think Al Gore is a fake, a phony, and a fraud........ That being said, We don't have to become tree-hugger to think a little Green. I use Bio-Diesel in my truck when I can find it. I hook up to IdleAire Technologies. Check it out at  http://www.idleaire.com  I recycle when I can. I'll even pick up trash other jerks leave at truckstops/rest areas. We use those new style light bulbs that use 1/3 the energy, New windows & insulation keeps old man winter outside, and a wood/pellet burning stove keeps the house toasty.

In the long run, these changes have saved us thousands of dollars every year.  :icon_smile_wink:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Big Lebowski

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 17, 2007, 04:44:02 PM

One term I've seen repeated in this thread is "logic and reason". Hmmmm.

I stand on the highest building on Earth and look at a featureless horizon; it's as flat as an ironing board. A reasonable person would assume the Earth must be flat so, logically, the Earth is flat.

Ya, and when Galileo (or the global warming skeptics) spoke out about the World being round, they were dragged into the criminal system to be punished. Galileo was almost killed for his beliefs....BTW Witches were blamed for "Global cooling" in 1582 during the "Little Ice Age", these witches were burned at the stake. Fast forward to now and you'll find your Charger's getting blamed for a 1 degree temp. increase, most of which happened before 1945 (before everyone had a car for those of you in Rio Linda).
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

73dodge

Quote from: Lowprofile on March 17, 2007, 07:24:49 PM
I think Al Gore is a fake, a phony, and a fraud........ That being said, We don't have to become tree-hugger to think a little Green. I use Bio-Diesel in my truck when I can find it. I hook up to IdleAire Technologies. Check it out at  http://www.idleaire.com  I recycle when I can. I'll even pick up trash other jerks leave at truckstops/rest areas. We use those new style light bulbs that use 1/3 the energy, New windows & insulation keeps old man winter outside, and a wood/pellet burning stove keeps the house toasty.

In the long run, these changes have saved us thousands of dollars every year.  :icon_smile_wink:

Funny you should say that because this just appeared today

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070318/NEWS01/70316074

Tenn. mine enriched Gore, scarred land

CARTHAGE, Tenn. - Al Gore has profited from zinc mining that has released millions of pounds of potentially toxic substances near his farmstead, but there is no evidence the mine has caused serious damage to the environment in the area or threatened the health of his neighbors.

Two massive white mountains of leftover rock waste are evidence of three decades of mining that earned Gore more than $500,000 in royalty payments for the mineral rights to his property.

Previous mine owners released toxic substances into waterways above the allowable levels several times in the eight years before the mine closed.

And More...............

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=65000070

Albert Gore Jr.: Occidental and Oriental Connections
Originally published in The Wall Street Journal, Sept. 29, 1999.

Mr. Hammer was generous with the younger Mr. Gore as well, beyond the zinc lease. Occidental Petroleum was one of the largest contributors to Mr. Gore's successful 1990 bid for Senate re-election. The Hammer family and corporations made donations up to the legal maximum in all of Mr. Gore's campaigns, according to Mr. Hammer's former personal assistant, Neil Lyndon, writing in London's Daily Telegraph.

You can read the rest yourself at the posted link.

So Algore is not as clean as you would believe and takes money from anyone who will give it to him.

That is Typical politics in my book but like the Liberals always like to accuse Christians and Conservatives of being hypocrites just know the street runs both ways.....
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

AKcharger

Al Gore Caught Warming Globe To Increase Box Office Profits

Environmental officials claimed that Gore's tire fire in Akron, OH was "completely out of line."

dodgecharger-fan

No you don't.
You can only see so far and then land is removed from view by the curvature of the horizon.

That is a very narrow-minded statement. You are limiting your ability to come to a logical conclusion because your conclusion is based on one specific measurment - much like measuring the amount of CO2 over a denslely populated area, or measuring particulate matter right after you blow out a candle and not including any other data - or even bothering to collect it.

If you move in any direction away from your "highest building in the world" and climb to another suitably high point, you'll see that the Earth continues and there is a "new" horizon based on your new location. Keep going in the same direction (theoretically, of course) and you'll end up in the same place in which you started - with a full set of data that would allow you to conclude that the Earth is not flat.

In much the same way, measure the full content of the Earth's atmosphere in terms of ALL green house gasses from ALL sources and you'll start to see that man has little impact.
To be honest, I don't think this has actually been done. It's based on extrapolated data - but then so is the idea that we are the cause. I just think that the former conclusion is based on more data collected from more diverse and dispersed areas of the world. That's what I think becuase it's the only logical way in which one could safely make a statement that we are less significant than what the the latter conclusion supposes.

Charger-Bodie

this is how i feel on the deal, dont throw garbage out the window ect dont pollute any more than neccesary.........but i still think global warming is crap !!!!  and by the way i have absoltly zero edumacation on the subject and do not claim to have any facts about it period
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

dodgecharger-fan

How can you possibly say the government WANTS global warming to be believed in its current state??  The administration has REPEATEDLY shown otherwise. 

The pollution credit business is expected to hit 2 Trillion dollars in a few years.

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

bull

Quote from: Steve P. on March 18, 2007, 12:14:26 PM
I like beer.

Do you crush the empty cans on your forehead and then toss them out the window while driving? :icon_smile_big:

I've actually gotten into a few altercations with people who I've seen littering. A girl at a Wendy's parking lot tossed her straw wrapper out the window once so I got out and threw it back into her car. It stayed right where I put it. :icon_smile_tongue:

A guy and three of his buddies walked into Burger King I was at once with my wife and I saw him take the gum out of his mouth and throw it across the room. It bounced off a window and landed on a table. When we were all done and leaving I went and grabbed the gum, dropped it on his tray and said "use the garbage can next time." He flipped me off but not until I was outside in my truck. :icon_smile_angry:

I watched a kid drop a cigarette package wrapper onto the ground in front of a place where I was working and I said, "Hey, you dropped something." He just grunted and kept walking and I think I told him to pull his head out of his a$$ or some such thing as he went. :icon_smile_evil:

People that purposely pollute like that ought to have a 2x4 cracked over their heads. It pisses me off when I see it and 90% of the time I'll say something if I know they can hear me. If more people spoke up it would be less of a problem IMO.

Steve P.

I have done the same type things myself. I once chased an old lady up to the grammer school where she was picking up her grand daughter from school. This ignorant BIOTCH dumped her car ashtray right at the end of my driveway while I just happened to be looking out there. I jumped in my truck and followed her to the school. She parked next to the crossing guard. The crossing guard just happens to be friends with us and witnessed me writing down the old woman's plate number and telling her to bring her ignorant ass back to my house and pick up all her butts or I was going to have her ticketed for littering.  At first she gave me shit, but then the crossing lady told her she should be ashamed of herself and that she would make sure every person coming and going from that school would know what she did.

Next thing I knew she was in front of my house picking up her butts and telling her grand daughter that GRANDMA DID SOMETHING STUPID..  ;)  That worked for me.. :icon_smile_big:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

John_Kunkel

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on March 18, 2007, 10:38:12 AM

That is a very narrow-minded statement. You are limiting your ability to come to a logical conclusion because your conclusion is based on one specific measurment

Duh, that's my point.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Recharger

Quote from: Steve P. on March 18, 2007, 12:14:26 PM
I like beer.

Oh, now your just trying to  :stirthepot:  You know beer farts are full of greenhouse gases.  :nono:

:icon_smile_wink:

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

hemigeno

Isn't it?   :P

I love this site:

Flat Earth Society Home Page

Gotta love their website's disclaimer:
Quote from: Flat Earth Society WebsiteThe Flat Earth Society is not in any way responsible for the failure of the French to repel the Germans at the Maginot Line during WWII. Nor is the Flat Earth Society responsible for the recent yeti sightings outside the Vatican, or for the unfortunate enslavement of the Nabisco Inc. factory employees by a rogue hamster insurrectionist group. Furthermore, we are not responsible for the loss of one or more of the following, which may possibly occur as the result of exposing one's self to the dogmatic and dangerously subversive statements made within: life, limb, vision, Francois Mitterand, hearing, taste, smell, touch, thumb, Aunt Mildred, citizenship, spleen, bedrock, cloves, I Love Lucy reruns, toaster, pine derby racer, toy duck, antelope, horseradish, prosthetic ankle, double-cheeseburger, tin foil, limestone, watermelon-scented air freshner, sanity, paprika, German to Pig Latin dictionary, dish towel, pet Chihuahua, pogo stick, Golf Digest subscription, floor tile, upper torso or halibut.

:D

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

AKcharger

Algore testified to congress today that the Earth has a fever

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

ck1

They were saying on the news today Al gores house hold electric bill for a year was over 30,000 dollars, and that he needs to practice what he preaches.  I can't believe this guy was nominated for the noble Peace prize.................
CJK

konigcharger

Quote from: hemigeno on March 19, 2007, 06:27:50 PM

I love this site:

Flat Earth Society Home Page

BUWWWWAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!

Why do we say the Earth is flat, when the vast majority says otherwise? Because we know the truth.

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.