News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Horsepower Question?

Started by lukendan, March 05, 2007, 06:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukendan

I know that a stock 68-70 440HP is rated at 375 bhp. Heres the dumb question of the day. If a person has a Fresh standard bore 1972 440(steel crank motor), 906 heads (w/mild port), a little better cam, Edelbrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 750 CFM Carb, and Stock HP exaust manafolds, what might a person see out of that? I understand its hard to guess at that, but...

firefighter3931

Luke,

From what you're describing i'd say that combo would be in the 400-425hp range depending on how well the heads flow and what the cam profile looks like.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

John_Kunkel

If the pistons are the original type the low compression (about 7.8) will be a limiting factor.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Challenger340

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 05, 2007, 04:22:04 PM

If the pistons are the original type the low compression (about 7.8) will be a limiting factor.

John's right, you mean the "low-pop" slugs ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

lukendan

yes there the org pistons..."about 7. will be a limiting factor"<---What does this mean? Thx in advance

Challenger340

It means the original '72 Pistons tend to limit, somewhat, the power production/output due to the relatively low compression as John stated.

That said, not trying to confuse the issue, as Ron(Firefighter3931) says, it can still make 400-420 hp with properly done & selected heads, and Camshaft. Certainly "no slouch" by any means.

You'll find some great resources on here to that end, for actual Parts selection and "do's & don't do's".
Only wimps wear Bowties !

firefighter3931

Quote from: Challenger340 on March 06, 2007, 01:43:23 AM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 05, 2007, 04:22:04 PM

John's right, you mean the "low-pop" slugs ?

:iagree: The low compression 72 pistons will hurt power output. In my response i should have mentioned a piston upgrade should be considered to achieve those power levels. The speedpro 6-pack replacement slugs are forged and very durable........as well as being relatively in-expensive.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

lukendan

OK. I dropped the cash for the 10:1 pistons. Now what range in bhp can I maybe see? Also, what would be better for street use, a Eledbrock Performer intake, or a Eledbrock Performer rpm intake? Thx...

firefighter3931

The RPM manifold is a much better choice. As for HP....that will depend on the cylinder head flow and the rest of the build ; cam, headers, carburator etc....

Ron