News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New repro full 68 to 70 1/4 panels

Started by johntpr, February 27, 2007, 04:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

kab69440

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on March 05, 2007, 05:26:59 PM

I understand that volume of Camaro 1/4's sold will be higher, merely because Camaro's outnumber Chargers from the get-go. If the final price on Charger 1/4's end up in the $600-700 range for each, I wouldn't be too surprised at that & could justify the higher cost. I presume most others would too.

For $600 per side, I'd be in the Jeep tomorrow headed to wherever they are made to pick a pair up.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Dodge Don on March 13, 2007, 06:17:41 PM
By the way...for the 100th time...."Made in USA" is NOT a statement of quality, rather a marketing slogan. A Chineese or Thai or French or whatever person can make just as nice a part as some fat overpaid union slob in the US.  :yesnod:
Yeah, they CAN...but they don't. :nana:

Well Hemi Hampton, what say you? Are you having your 1/4's scoped out as we speak? :drool5:   :popcrn:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Mike DC

Ummmm . . .

Haven't we all been having similar "that's just too much money!" discussions about the $600-700 E-body panels?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing for a Mopar is ever gonna be as cheap as a Chevy or a Phord.  Gotta just deal with this fact & move on.

Personally, I'll be thrilled if I ever see a single reproduction sheetmetal panel for a Charger that isn't blatantly worse-quality than the originals.  I've never yet seen ONE new steel panel that's as good as the original part, from ANY company.

AKcharger

Mike DC

I'd pay $2000 for the pair, IF these things are literally identical to n.o.s. items in every way.

If they're gonna turn out to just be more like a higher-extending version of the Goodmark skins, and the metal still feels weaker, and they still have the bodylines less crisp than the originals, and they still don't fit quite right . . . forget about it. 

----------------------------------------------------

But we've got reason to be cautiously optimistic.  Most of the new panels being tooled these days are already better than the current Charger "skins," at least in fitment if not in metallurgy.

hemi-hampton

Seems I hear Hardcore Racing here in Flint Michigan is allready in the Process of Making these  :o 68-70 Dodge Charger Quarters. So, I guess my 70 Charger wont have to be a Guinea Pig after all.  :-*  Guess this means I'll have to use my 72 Charger as the next Guinea Pig? :eyes: ::) LEON.

Dodge Don

Anyone know if they are making them unique for each year since 68, 69 and 70 are all different?

694spdRT

I think $2,000 for the pair would be reasonable.....$4,000 is too much.  If they are high quality and fit properly they can save tons of body shop labor. You need to consider the labor cost differences on installing these vs the current ones offered as well. I don't want to think about how much time was spent putting the aftermarket rear quarters on my car when we did it.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Silver R/T

Quote from: 694spdRT on March 16, 2007, 11:13:22 AM
I think $2,000 for the pair would be reasonable.....$4,000 is too much. If they are high quality and fit properly they can save tons of body shop labor. You need to consider the labor cost differences on installing these vs the current ones offered as well. I don't want to think about how much time was spent putting the aftermarket rear quarters on my car when we did it.

what was wrong with your quarters? Were they made by Goodmark, ones sold by Year One.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

charger01

too rich for my blood, maybe someday once the price goes down.

694spdRT

Quote from: Silver R/T on March 16, 2007, 08:21:52 PM
Quote from: 694spdRT on March 16, 2007, 11:13:22 AM
I think $2,000 for the pair would be reasonable.....$4,000 is too much. If they are high quality and fit properly they can save tons of body shop labor. You need to consider the labor cost differences on installing these vs the current ones offered as well. I don't want to think about how much time was spent putting the aftermarket rear quarters on my car when we did it.

what was wrong with your quarters? Were they made by Goodmark, ones sold by Year One.

They were a Goodmark panel. There was nothing really "wrong" with the ones I got over any others. It is just how the partial quarters need to be installed that burns up a lot of time. You have to deal with a complete weld along the top of the quarter on each side and all the associated body work to hide that. Then the big item was the body line crispness work to make it look as good as the originals. Full quarters would eliminate much of the bodywork involved because the attachment points are where the factory put them and there would no need for a "weld" on a exposed panel. The body line crispness is of course the other thing that needs improving with any new stampings.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

hemihead

You can't use NOS ones as a baseline for what you can sell these for. NOS ones are damn rare and there is a very finite group willing to buy them. You put 50 NOS panels on EBAY at the same time at that price and most won't sell.

$2,000 a side is outlandish.

I got excited......then the price....count me out.

By the way...for the 100th time...."Made in USA" is NOT a statement of quality, rather a marketing slogan. A Chineese or Thai or French or whatever person can make just as nice a part as some fat overpaid union slob in the US.  :yesnod:
So you are a fat , overpaid, non union, white collar slob?
I have a 3rd Gen and I guess since these are doomed to not sell alot because they are overpriced ( which I think the price is insane),there will be no 1/4's or anything else made for my 73.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Troy

Quote from: hemihead on March 21, 2007, 01:56:26 PM
Nope - he's a Canadian... ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dodge Don

Quote from: hemihead on March 21, 2007, 01:56:26 PM
You can't use NOS ones as a baseline for what you can sell these for. NOS ones are damn rare and there is a very finite group willing to buy them. You put 50 NOS panels on EBAY at the same time at that price and most won't sell.

I have a 3rd Gen and I guess since these are doomed to not sell alot because they are overpriced ( which I think the price is insane),there will be no 1/4's or anything else made for my 73.

Close.  :-*

hemihead

Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

A34

OK, so for you guys buying these new repros, let me know if you want to get rid of your nice, clean, rust free, dent free, used full quarter panel take-offs, or your NOS ones.

I'll buy them, that would include the outer wheelhouses and trunk extensions too.

:yesnod:
Looking for NOS parts for 69 Charger - whatcha got?
God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families !
Deo Vindice

Shakey

:shruggy:
:scratchchin:
:scratchchin:
:lol:

Shakey

Quote from: Dodge Don on March 16, 2007, 05:35:21 AM
Anyone know if they are making them unique for each year since 68, 69 and 70 are all different?

The only difference is the marker lights - correct?

Blakcharger440

Yep the price sounds waaaay to much for the average enthusiast. They will sell a couple of sets but not many.

timinator

I'd like to have the piece of mind that full quarters, door skins and especially fenders would be available for insurance work. If some idiot plows into my car, I'd rather have a new repop than some POS out of a junkyard or worse, my smashed fender having 10 lbs of bondo caked onto it by some cheap body shop.  I think it's great that someone is making these finally.

Mefirst

-Jesuschrist... 2000$$$ for ONE front fender :o -What are they made of?? Titanium???

-OK, lets play with the idea. I manage to mess up both front fenders on my Charger. I live in Sweden. 1$ is about 7.3 Swedish + Tax + Shipping so Ill have to at least count it at double, to cover the expenses for shipping and Tax. So one fender would cost me at least 3-4000$$$ and well I managed to fuk up both of the front fenders on my Charger, so about 10.000$ before those two fenders would be at my door, thats over 140.000 Swedish Kronas. (Then the fenders would have to be painted and mounted adding to the total cost) -Fuk Me :icon_smile_dissapprove: for that amount of money I could buy myself a second Charger...

-Yeah, its nice that there are company's who make these parts, but like come on, keep the prizes of the parts sane, not insane... :image_294343: That company can keep their fenders and stick them up so high... Even if I was able to smuggle both fenders into Sweden with out paying import tax or shipping the fenders would still cost me 30K Swedish..

My :Twocents:

/Tom

Mefirst

Quote from: timinator on March 21, 2007, 10:31:33 PM
I'd like to have the piece of mind that full quarters, door skins and especially fenders would be available for insurance work. If some idiot plows into my car, I'd rather have a new repop than some POS out of a junkyard or worse, my smashed fender having 10 lbs of bondo caked onto it by some cheap body shop. I think it's great that someone is making these finally.

-Do you actually think that some Insurance Company would pay 2000$ for ONE fender + pay for the work.. -NO FUKIN WAY that will ever happen!!! Keep on dreaming :slap:

Khyron

I commented on the other thread that got locked. So I'll restate my opinion.

I'm sorry, needed or not, quality or not, They can take that $2000 and stick it right in there a$$.

I don;t want to hear the BS of machine work and all that. it's freaking metal. The same material that the camaro and firebird and Chevelle quarters have. with the exception there are more of those around. It's BS like this that keeps anything with a penestar 5 times the price of anything with a blue oval or bowtie.

It's price gouging no matter how you cut it. I'll hunt down good ones or find a good bodyshop to make mine if I ever need them.

I hope the makers get metal slivered right up their poopers!  :flame:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Mike DC

I don't really object to an overpriced panel in theory.  Not when the primary thing standing in the way of these panels being made has always been the tooling cost. 
(Hell, if somebody wants to make $2 MILLION dollar quarter panels stamped out of solid gold, I'm not gonna stand in their way.)

But I'm personally not likely to buy any of these $2000 panels either. 

Their loss.