News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Blank front pad on 440-6

Started by The70RT, February 24, 2007, 11:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The70RT

My 440 is blank on the front pad. The side has casting number 3698830-440-6. Date code 6-29-73. It was a dealership factory replacement according to the original invoice (Jim Clark Chrysler Plymouth Topeka, KS) i still have from late 73 when they installed the $169 short block. Should the pad be blank? Im kinda wondering why a 6 pack motor was installed? Maybe was in stock already? The invoice shows rod out. If the engine was savable I guess it could still be out there somewhere?  They never put my vin number on this block though.  It does have the 6 pack rods and is a steel crank. Is that the only benifits from having this engine besides a stronger block than what originally in the 70?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

RallyeMike

They didnt produce a 6-pack engine after 72.  Also, the strength of a 6-pack block itself is no different that a 4bbl block of the same casting process. The sixpack strong points come from the internal components and the intake and carbs.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

MOPARHOUND!

When you say the front pad is blank, you mean the pad to the driver's side of the distributor?  No 440 stamped on it?
And, the VIN pad on the passenger side block oil pan rail is also blank?

Unusual.  Typically there are numbers or letters of some type on the top pad.

One block in the garage has the "W" & "T" at random/upside down on the top pad for Water Test, and an "S" denoting service/warranty block, same as per Galen's book notes for service/warranty blocks.  Block's oil pan rail is blank.  This same block has no assembly date, so I presume it was sold as a bare block.

Another block in the garage has the" W" & "T" at random/upside down on the top pad for Water Test , and an "S" denoting service/warranty block.  Block's oil pan rail is blank.  This block has an assembly date on the top pad, so I presume it was sold as service/warranty short block assembly.

Keep that receipt!  Big deal to collectors and your resale value!
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

The70RT

Quote from: MOPARHOUND! on February 24, 2007, 12:37:59 PM
When you say the front pad is blank, you mean the pad to the driver's side of the distributor?  No 440 stamped on it?

One block in the garage has the "W" & "T" at random/upside down on the top pad for Water Test, and an "S" denoting service/warranty block, same as per Galen's book notes for service/warranty blocks.  Block's oil pan rail is blank.  This same block has no assembly date, so I presume it was sold as a bare block.

Another block in the garage has the" W" & "T" at random/upside down on the top pad for Water Test , and an "S" denoting service/warranty block.  Block's oil pan rail is blank.  This block has an assembly date on the top pad, so I presume it was sold as service/warranty short block assembly.

Right no markings on the pad left the dist. And pan rail is blank. The casting number 3698830-440-6 means what? it is on both sides of the block.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: The70RT on February 24, 2007, 01:07:47 PM

Right no markings on the pad left the dist. And pan rail is blank. The casting number 3698830-440-6 means what? it is on both sides of the block.

The casting number is for a 72-78 440. The '-6' means it is the 6th casting core revision.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

The70RT

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on February 24, 2007, 01:31:24 PM
Quote from: The70RT on February 24, 2007, 01:07:47 PM

The casting number is for a 72-78 440. The '-6' means it is the 6th casting core revision.

Thanks. I guess i could have did my home work. I had the car for 30 years and have just now started the resto. I rebuilt the engine in 1980 after looking inside it probably didn't need it. I bent a pushrod then and went ahead and tore it down and added a slightly larger cam then. and discovered the 6 pack rods?