News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

American Racing Ansen Sprint Slot Mags

Started by pete, February 24, 2007, 11:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pete

Has anyone bought the new slot mags made by American Racing?  The backspacing they offer is perfect for the Charger.  Rear 15x8 (w/4.5"BS) and Front 15x7 (w/4"BS).  Unfortunately, there are no photos available of the larger widths.  I think the sample photo is a 15x6 or 15x7.

I sold my slot mags years ago to Christian and I think I'm starting to miss them!

Charger_Fan

That shows how much I keep up with current news...I didn't even know they were making them again. :icon_smile_tongue:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

THE CHARGER PUNK

i wonder what they look like in person compared to the originals???

TruckDriver

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on February 24, 2007, 02:00:57 PM
That shows how much I keep up with current news...I didn't even know they were making them again. :icon_smile_tongue:

:slap: Jeez Grant, for only 2 or 3 years now :P
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on February 24, 2007, 06:04:52 PM
Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on February 24, 2007, 02:00:57 PM

:slap: Jeez Grant, for only 2 or 3 years now :P
D'oh!  :brickwall:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

CB

Hey Pete! nice to hear from you.
I still have the slots you sold me and get lots of nice comments on the rims.
You want them back? :D   ;)
Christian aka CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

pete

Christian!   :o Ha!  Yes!  Send them back!!!  J/K!!  I especially miss those 15x8 rears.  Do you have any recent pictures of your car?  Is it still blue??  I remember you wanting to paint it black, no?

Daytona R/T SE

I looked at the "New" Ansen sprints at the nationals this year.  Like the "new" Vector wheels AR has chosen to "Improve on the old design".  The new slots have a funky recessed line around the edge of each "slot" that I don't remember seeing on any slotted mag back in the day. Looks terrible.IMO :icon_smile_dissapprove:

I was very exited when AR announced they were going to make slots again, I had planned on buying a set ....until I saw them....

pete

Daytona - I completely agree!  The chamfer or recess around the kidney bean slot is awful  :rotz: I was just hoping that maybe the 15x8 would look better (deeper dish).

pete

I just sent this email to American Racing......let's see how they respond:

Hi.  I have been a long time American Racing customer and have always been satisfied with your products.  Regretfully, I have to inform you of my disappointment with the new Ansen Sprint wheel.  There is an extra chamfer added to the kidney bean slot that is really turning off a lot of potential customers.  I've been doing a lot of research lately reading forums and honestly believe that removing the chamfer would increase sales substantially.  It seems that everyone is talking about this minor difference.  Just a quick look on ebay indicates that the older vintage wheels are still a hot item.  All of these sales could be captured by AR.  If it is just a machining operation I wouldn't see too much diffuculty making this modification and it could result in a huge increase in sales and definitely a very happy customer here.  AR made this wheel in the past without the chamfer, so I wouldn't see it being a patent issue.  Thanks for your time.  Pete

plum500

Meh. I still love em'. I don't think it affects the overall look one bit -- and it is a nice finished edge to what looked like a simple punched hole before. A nice touch for when you get close enough to notice it. If it were a simple painted steel rim, not polished or intended for some flash and style, I'd say what's the point? -- but where these are polished mags -- I like em'.

Brock Samson

the best thing i miss in that new pic is the "Deep Dish" as we used to call it... depth.. i allways called mine "deep dish slots".
i noticed that extra lip immediatly!  What?! Why?..

CB

Quote from: pete on February 24, 2007, 08:45:22 PM
Christian!   :o Ha!  Yes!  Send them back!!!  J/K!!  I especially miss those 15x8 rears.  Do you have any recent pictures of your car?  Is it still blue??  I remember you wanting to paint it black, no?

see if I can make a good pic. It's painted flat black right now.
nice wheels do make a difference  :icon_smile_cool:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

CB

Quote from: pete on February 24, 2007, 08:45:22 PM

here's a pic :-)   (oh I got air shocks :-\ )

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

pete

WOW!  That thing looks really stealth!  Very cool CB!

plum500

terrible one

I agree! CB, your Charger is great. Mine will end up being a beater version of yours, slotted mags and flat black rattle can primer!

Silver68RT

Anyone know what backspacing came on the 15x10 Ansen Sprint's?  I want to run 295/50-15's on slots, and from searching old posts it looks like I would need a 5" or 5.5" backspace.  I had 295/50-15's on my old '70 Road Runner, and I loved the look.  They were on some kind of wide 5-spoke, Champlite or something.  I never measured the backspacing, but they fit great.

I've got 4 15x12 Ansen Sprints, but I don't think there's any way they'll fit without mini-tubbing and relocating the springs, and I'm not going to do that.  It looks like so far, the only brand new options are 15x7 and 15x8 - anyone know if they're planning to do a 15x10?  I thought there was something a little off about these new ones, it must be that chamfer.  I thought it was because they're polished, and I'm used to seeing them with a duller finish.

I got this pair with my '69 Mach 1 - really glad he didn't get around to cutting it up to make them fit.  They sure are deep dish though.

Drop Top

I just picked up a set of old original 14X7 small bolt patern for my newest member of my car family (72 Dart Swinger). Fresh polish job on them $200. Needs center caps and there good to go. There going to look great on the car!

CB

Quote from: Drop Top on March 04, 2007, 11:06:57 AM
I just picked up a set of old original 14X7 small bolt patern for my newest member of my car family (72 Dart Swinger). Fresh polish job on them $200. Needs center caps and there good to go. There going to look great on the car!

tss and you don't post a pic?  ;)
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

terrible one

Silver68RT,

Most of the Ansen slots came with a 3.5" backspacing, and I think that's what your 15x10's are judging by how deep they are. Very cool though!

Silver68RT

That picture is one of my 15x12's.  It appears to have a 4" BS.  I bought one set off a guy at work who used to run a Boss 429 powered Maverick Modified Production drag car.  I also got a pair of US Indy 15x10's off him.  Those appear to be about a 3" BS.  I was going to try to use them on my dragster, but the backspacing was too much on the 15x12's, and the 15x10's were uni-lugs, and then I found a pair of 16x11 magnesium Halibrands that worked better and looked cooler.  The other set of 15x12's, the ones in the picture, were included in the deal with my Mustang, along with these monster 7.00 / 17.50 - 15 Firestones that have never been used.

It sounds like maybe I should be looking for 15x8.5 slots instead of 15x10's, if I want them to fit my '68 Charger.

terrible one

Oh okay, my mistake.

I have some 15x8.5 slots with 3.5" backspacing and they seemed like they were going to work alright when I mounted just the bare rims up out back.

znd985

Quote from: Silver68RT on March 04, 2007, 06:37:10 AM
Anyone know what backspacing came on the 15x10 Ansen Sprint's?  I want to run 295/50-15's on slots, and from searching old posts it looks like I would need a 5" or 5.5" backspace.  I had 295/50-15's on my old '70 Road Runner, and I loved the look.  They were on some kind of wide 5-spoke, Champlite or something.  I never measured the backspacing, but they fit great.

I've got 4 15x12 Ansen Sprints, but I don't think there's any way they'll fit without mini-tubbing and relocating the springs, and I'm not going to do that.  It looks like so far, the only brand new options are 15x7 and 15x8 - anyone know if they're planning to do a 15x10?  I thought there was something a little off about these new ones, it must be that chamfer.  I thought it was because they're polished, and I'm used to seeing them with a duller finish.

I got this pair with my '69 Mach 1 - really glad he didn't get around to cutting it up to make them fit.  They sure are deep dish though.

znd985

i am very interrested in purchasing a pair of 15x12 aluminum slotted wheels