News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flat black Chargers

Started by bull, February 18, 2007, 10:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

Doc74 who now lives in the US (the lucky bastard :D) painted my car with semi gloss black paint and didn't use any kind of clear coating.
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: Silver R/T on February 19, 2007, 10:27:14 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on February 19, 2007, 02:45:31 AM
Isn't Silver's car actually flat black?
\

yes it is. More pics are on my cardomain. I get to see it gloss black when it used to rain. Im still not sure if I want to paint it black/red stripes vs original silver/red stripes

As much as I like Black cars...........silver/red would look great too!

BBD

duo-stripe

Quote from: bull on February 19, 2007, 02:16:49 PM
It's looks good. How could it not? ;D I wasn't trying to forbid black primer pics, I was just trying to make sure I was looking at flat black paint instead of black primer. Maybe they don't look any different. :shruggy:

Question for CB, 1bad and duo-stripe: Did you guys put any kind of clear coating over the flat black paint or is it just paint only? If you look at CB's car and the pic hobobum posted of the one at the car show they look like they have some sort of clear coat.

I dunno how the former owner painted the car; the current owner bought it from a big MoPar-collector from Germany; the car was already flatblack at the time so I am sorry but I can't help you on any more info.

Grtz
MoPars overseas...<br />MoPars in the Netherlands

Joshua

One word....BANDWAGON.........

Sounds to me that the RATROD movement, with their flat black/red wheels, is starting to INFECT everyone, even Mopar guys.:Twocents:
Hell....kids are painting Honda's, S-10's and big 'ol 4-doors flat black to be TRENDY.......... :icon_smile_dead:

jaak

Here is a 68 I took some pics of at a mopar show in Huntsville AL, this past summer.

Jason

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: Joshua on February 20, 2007, 11:55:24 AM

Sounds to me that the RATROD movement, with their flat black/red wheels, is starting to INFECT everyone, even Mopar guys.:Twocents:
Hell....kids are painting Honda's, S-10's and big 'ol 4-doors flat black to be TRENDY.......... :icon_smile_dead:

Your right................we should all paint them yellow. ::)

Black primer has been around for quit a few decades now., nothing 'trendy' about it.........looks better than gray or red on a Charger anyways.

BBD

1BAD68

here's the one from Death Proof...

79JON

Quote from: Brock Samson on February 19, 2007, 02:43:08 PM
who was the guy that had that AWSOME '68 super bee that had the polished TTIIs on it?...
that was one BADDASS Coronet! something about that flat black made the trim and stainless POP!

Hey there..  I havent posted in a long time but i believe you are talking of my old 68 Coronet.  Sorry to say I had to sell it and it went to England.  :'(

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

bull

Quote from: 1BAD68 on February 20, 2007, 02:52:10 PM

Excuse my ignorance but what's Death Proof? A TV show?

mally69

look ther is either a RAM   on the hood of that charger :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Brock Samson

it's that new tarintino movie comin out as a double bill pretty soon we've had a couple threads man where the frack ya been...
i think your brain is warped from bronzes cars in barns meanderings..
Quote from: bull on February 20, 2007, 05:30:21 PM

Brock Samson

Quote from: 79JON on February 20, 2007, 05:02:33 PM
who was the guy that had that AWSOME '68 super bee that had the polished TTIIs on it?...
that was one BADDASS Coronet! something about that flat black made the trim and stainless POP!

Hey there..  I havent posted in a long time but i believe you are talking of my old 68 Coronet.  Sorry to say I had to sell it and it went to England.  :'(

that sucks that was one of the best lookin cars i belive i ever seen...  :flame:
(from 30 feet)...   :-\

79JON

Quote from: Brock Samson on February 20, 2007, 07:30:39 PM
Quote from: 79JON on February 20, 2007, 05:02:33 PM

that sucks that was one of the best lookin cars i belive i ever seen... :flame:
(from 30 feet)... :-\

HAHA  Thanks man.   Yeah It had a mean look to it.  I was going to paint it red but my funds ran out. (College Student)  I went over everything on that car except painting it and replacing the trunk floor.  Other than that, it was a super solid car and ran great.  But now its across the big pond somewhere in Europe.  HAHA

Mean 318

Quote from: Joshua on February 20, 2007, 11:55:24 AM

I just like the look!

Brock Samson

i'll tell ya who's a "Bandwagon Jumper" is the punkass wannabe inna magnum sedan with the Bling and the Boom, who thinks he's a Gangster...

oops sorry Ponch err,.. Mojo..  :-\

bull

Quote from: Brock Samson on February 20, 2007, 07:28:50 PM
it's that new tarintino movie comin out as a double bill pretty soon we've had a couple threads man where the frack ya been...
i think your brain is warped from bronzes cars in barns meanderings..
Quote from: bull on February 20, 2007, 05:30:21 PM

I haven't paid any attention to bronze in quite a while, I don't need the added frustration. :icon_smile_big:

Joshua

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on February 20, 2007, 01:00:49 PM

Black primer has been around for quit a few decades now., nothing 'trendy' about it.........looks better than gray or red on a Charger anyways.

BBD

Thanks for BAGGING on my YELLOW car.....I don't think every car should be painted yellow (just mine).....jeez...... :image_294343:

Yes, Black primer has been around for a long time.......but has never been as POPULAR as it is now.......it IS the latest trend(look up the def.) for people that don't know any better. ( it's on it's way out in the rodding world thank god.) Black primer (DP90) also fades quickly, looking like crap.

Living in denial is a bitch........ :nana:

Troy

In my opinion, I'd say that the most recent trend has been over-restored cars. Once upon a time people bought a car to drive, cruise, race, and possibly show if it turned out nice enough. If they were poor (like me) they painted it all one color - usually black primer - and no one gave them a hard time about it. I had one flat black car in the 80s and another now. It looks better than rust holes.

I stopped for gas on the way home from MoparFest last year with my Barracuda (Y1 yellow - not black) on the trailer. I went inside for a bit and  when I came back out I heard two guys discussing the car. One made the comment that whoever owned the car was either clueless or just didn't care because the paint wasn't up to his standards and the interior was worn. When he realized I was the owner he started trying to recover by saying it was nice of me to buy the car to save it from the previous owner (he assumed I was fixing it up). This guy sure made a lot of assumptions about me and my car and he wasn't correct in any of them. I later found out that he'd never owned a classic car nor did he have any idea what it cost to return one to showroom (or show) condition. His one and only vehicle was his work truck which was beat.

In CBs case, there was a lot more metal work involved than they expected. He *could* have left it in storage or a garage until he could afford to finish the car right but instead he chose to have the metal work done right and paint it in black primer so he could drive it. I'm sure some people have all sorts of disrespectful things to say about it but he's one of a handful of people in Belgium with a running/driving Charger.

It seems that everyone's a critic any more. It's never, ever a good idea to jump to conclusions.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

justin1987

Quote from: mally69 on February 20, 2007, 05:41:36 PMlook ther is either a RAM   on the hood of that charger :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

It's actually a duck like the ones on the movie Convoy.

Joshua

Good points Troy...and I agree....to an extent. 

I'm not trying to criticize anyones car here persay....I pretty much dig all mopars. ;D

Now go on EBAY (or craigslist)....type in RAT ROD....and see the VARIETY of flatblack painted cars.....everything from Hondas, Kias, S-10s, full size Chevy pickups......everything.
And alot of these are just shot with black primer right over the original finish with rattle cans without any sanding even...I've seen it myself IN PERSON.....ALOT......and WHY are these black primer cars showing up all of a sudden??? It's all the rage......ie: TREND.....
That's all I'm trying to say..... :brickwall:

Pulled this quote from another board, thought it was valid: "Well yeah it's a trend,,everything thats going on with cars is..someone see's something that everyone thinks is cool and copies it so they can be 'cool" too.Of course not everyone does but,hot rod s etc are fashion now so...i always heard "patina" used in discriptions of old jewelry and silverware,,lol,,not for a rusty car"

People sure are touchy here...... :'( :cryin:

Troy

Go on eBay and look up "hemi" or "Barrett Jackson" and you'll see a whole pile of stuff that isn't related to either. The ones claiming to be a rat rod are trying to draw attention which is hardly the same as painting a car flat black because it's all you can afford or because you just like it. When it's obvious that a person is looking for attention (or following a trend) then it's not considered jumping to conclusions when you point it out. ;)

Pro street is a trend. Those stupid neon lights under cars is a trend. Chain link steering wheels were a trend. And what's up with those goofy rubber shoes people are wearing now? Yes, some people paint cars flat black because it seems to be in style but there are guys who know nothing about what's popular who have been painting cars black for a lot longer than it's been trendy to do so. Hot rodders in the 50s painted cars in flat colors because fast cars didn't need shiny paint. It was more about convenience. The guys copying those cars today are the ones following a trend - but not all of them (some are still broke!).

So yes, I agree that some people are following a trend - but some aren't. :D

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: Joshua on February 21, 2007, 11:59:06 AM
Quote from: BigBlackDodge on February 20, 2007, 01:00:49 PM

BBD

Thanks for BAGGING on my YELLOW car.....I don't think every car should be painted yellow (just mine).....jeez...... :image_294343:

Yes, Black primer has been around for a long time.......but has never been as POPULAR as it is now.......it IS the latest trend(look up the def.) for people that don't know any better. ( it's on it's way out in the rodding world thank god.) Black primer (DP90) also fades quickly, looking like crap.

Living in denial is a bitch........ :nana:

So genius.............you think the black primer is the finished product?...............is there not primer under your paint?

I was 'bagging' (whatever the hell that means) you because your were 'bagging' those with black primered cars, like mine.

Don't deal out the insults/snide remarks if you can't take them yourself. :yesnod:

Maybe I painted it black primer because it's mine...............this idea seems to work for you but not for others I guess....jeez... ::)

I'm planning on doing other things to my car in the future..........should I email these ideas to you in the future so you can approve them? I really hate to disappoint your tastes. :moon:

BBD

79JON

The only reason I primered my 68 coronet black was because of money.  It was part green, grey primer, and a yellowish primer before and I wanted it to be uniform before I put a real paint job.  It just so happen to look really good in flat black primer.   :yesnod: But I ran out of funds and ended up selling it in black primer.  I didnt really do it for the trend...just did it to make it look good as possible for as cheap as I could.

HITMAN 149

i bought my car that way, and have body work & resto stuff to do!!! i do like flat black, but the car (just like gloss black) has to be mint!!!!!......but like gloss black a lil better!!!!!!  :icon_smile_big:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/