News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

If someone WAS to reproduce superbird rear window moldings.....

Started by DoubleDlover, February 17, 2007, 09:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleDlover

And it was a pretty good reproduction.. what do you think a comfortable price would be for most people to pay?  (becides $5.00 to all the smart asses outthere) LOL We all know that set sold for $4500.00 on ebay last year. But im talkign about a more realistic price. I mean. Are there enough people out here that need or would like them for there real or clone cars? They have reproductions out for camaro, chevelle, adn such. So SOMEONE has the know how to make them... 

daytonalo

Yep , get an airline ticket to china and a check for 50 k and your in business !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any questions ??????????????????? Be realistic , you might sell twenty in a lifetime , they sell twenty a year for chevy's

DoubleDlover

ok My bad. I didnt really want his opinoin. I wasnt asking what the cost would be. I was trying to find out if there are poeple out here that need them... Want them.. and what they though a reasonable price would be. What he posted didnt really have anything to do with what i was asking.

hotrod98

If I were using a correct plug and back glass, I would hope to buy a nice set for less than $300.
Realistically though, I would bet that they would be priced closer to $500 to help offset the initial production costs.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

DoubleDlover

thanks for the nice helpfull posts. Thats what i need. LOl well. If i found a great set of repros. I was thinking it might even be up to $800.00 for the set. But they would have to be very nice. then the other problem is findign a set to copy. or finding someone to alow you to make some kind of mold from theres to copy. cause no one is going to let a set go over seas.  So even if you have a glass plug. What are some of you guys doing for moldings??

hotrod98

At $800, you might sell a set every few years. Going to be difficult recovering that tooling costs at that rate.
Very few people go the route of using a correct style plug for a clone so finding the correct moldings is pretty much a non-issue for most.
Way cheaper using a vega hatchback where you have the insert, glass and moldings for a total of investment of around $100 to $200 instead of 4k needed for the correct stuff. That $3800 difference will go a long way towards those other parts needed for the transformation.

Charles Addams

daytonalo

I spoke to the guy who makes the console plates , 55k up front using china labor . You will never recoup your investment or make a dime , case closed !!!!!!!!!!

DoubleDlover

hotrod98. Yes. If i was building a daytona i would go that way. Your right. But a superbird is all different :( unfortunitly... Still if i was to go wit hthe fiberglass plug. what moldings has anyone used?? Or what did you do??

DoubleDlover

Does anyone know if there is a way to block someone from posting on your posts here??

gtx6970

Personally, I haven't seen a Bird clone yet , where the back glass was changed. probably due to costs involved.
Daytonas on the other hand are much easier to change

daytonalo

Hey dd , I'm just posting the facts , and whats involved to make parts like that . I will pray for them tonight to be under my pillow tonght ! Will keep you posted

Troy

Quote from: DoubleDlover on February 18, 2007, 11:32:30 AM
Does anyone know if there is a way to block someone from posting on your posts here??
Not technically, but if something is too out of line you can report them. There's a little link in the lower right of every post that you can click to do this. The problem with asking for an opinion is that you will get one - sometimes without even asking! That's the nature of an open discussion forum. It's a shame when someone believes their opinion is the only viable one though because it sort of stifles any real discussion.

Having said that, I have to agree that the market is so small that it would be difficult for anyone to recover their tooling costs. What most people would pay (I think) is a lot less than the parts would have to sell for. When I say "most people" it's exactly that. If a set sold for $4500 then that's what they were worth to the individual that purchased them but the guys who can afford that won't be buying a reproduction. I have to agree with gtx6970 that I've never seen a 'Bird clone with the rear window plug. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough though. It's weird that with the number of real Superbirds made that there isn't more of a market for trim and other items. Maybe all the cars were babied and don't need anything? ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

daytonalo

Again I don't post reply to burst anyones bubble . I post from experience and what others I know had parts made . When you get involved with tooling , everyone has their hand out !!!!!!!

69_500

I don't think that the majority of people who are cloning Superbirds even go the route of putting in the plug. To many outsiders its not as noticeable and any of the other modifications. Unlike with the Daytona the rear window plug is easily spotted even by a non wing car fan. Now there are some Superbird owners who would probably like the idea of being able to pick up a back up pair or mouldings. But I don't know if they would be willing to pay very much for them.

wingcar builder

rumor has it, there is a Chinese guy named Gee or something like that who is going to be making window plugs and so forth out of steel in his factory in China. guess he has  interest in muscle cars and already makes parts for other cars. so if i hear anything more......

daytonalo

That would be awesome !!!!!!!! Its like an ANCIENT CHINESE SECRET !!!!!!!

Troy

You're probably referring to Peter Gee - PG Classic. There are several threads about the other parts available. I have not heard anything specifically about wing car parts but they seem to be making a ton of other stuff.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BigBlockSam

here's pg classic's ebay page. some of his prices are very reasonable

**Inactive Link Removed**
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

daytonalo

hotrod98

Quote from: DoubleDlover on February 18, 2007, 11:29:42 AM
hotrod98. Yes. If i was building a daytona i would go that way. Your right. But a superbird is all different :( unfortunitly... Still if i was to go wit hthe fiberglass plug. what moldings has anyone used?? Or what did you do??

I tend to always think Daytona when anyone asks a question regarding a wing car on this site.
Most people that build the superbird clones with the back window plug simply use the generic black plastic trim that most glass guys keep in stock. It actually looks decent with the black vinyl top. I've been told that there is a chrome version available but I'm not sure that it would look all that great. 
As for my bird clone, I priced it out to a couple of people last week and if I sell it I may use the cash to finish a 70 cuda that I bought.  I brought the bird project home from the dealership today and put it in my back shop. If I don't sell it I might get interested in it again later. If I do decide to finish it, I think I'll order a steel window plug and order a repro glass. I can't stand lexan, and that's what you have to use if you go with a fiberglass plug.
Here's a pic of a clone that I looked at last fall. This is the car that was in the Power Tour a couple of years ago. They used the wide version of the black trim which was a mistake. There's a smaller version available.  BTW, the lexan was already looking bad and this car is only 3 or 4 years old.

Charles Addams

sunroofsuperbird

I would be down for a $500.00 set. I put a plug in my clone.
Some of My Mopars
69 Charger R/T 4x4
71 Challenger R/T stationwagon
70 Sunroof superbird clone
70 Superbird conv
69 Daytona 4X4 clone
68 GTX conv
71 Challenger conv pace car
70 Swinger Conv
2 78 Aspen Super Coupes
78 Aspen Super Coupe Sedan Delivery
80 Aspen Load Runner wagon
67 Fury 6 door limo wagon
76 Aspen R/T sunroof
38 dodge street rod
40 Dodge Tk street rod
and many more projects

daytonalo

There has to be a way to peice stock moulding on bird , Here it is a peice of cake on Daytona .

DoubleDlover

ok I see what you guys mean. I didnt really think of that , That a lot of people building clones just go with the stock back window. I guess that makes sence. And i guess that window trim hotrod said glass shops have would be ok in chrome till someone makes something. I know the place that makes correct real superbird back glass out of glass. Its like $1200.00 or something. and the steel plug is $2400.00..  Whats his name in georga makes the steel plug. And liek i was saying. "im" not looking to make moldings. Im just trying to find a way to come up with something. You never know. Someone could have posted .."hey. If you take a lower molding of a 70 fury. Bend it around a toilet. Take the top left molding off a 70 charger. cut it down. and take a right molding of a 76 pinto wagon. You got superbird moldings"..LOL You never knwo what info peopel have from trial and error. 

daytonalo

I was going to sell my double wide to help you out , that was up until you snapped at me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!