News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Isthis a scam? 70 Daytona

Started by lilwendal, February 16, 2007, 07:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilwendal

This has to be a scam. Was there ever a 70 daytona? Hes trying to push a lot of documentation that its real but it cant be right?  Doesn't even have a rear window plug.  Lots of other expensive Mopars in the back ground so this guy should no what hes selling.  What do you think?

**Inactive Link Removed**

UFO

There was a big write in mopar coll guide about the 70 daytonas.In the end it was figured to be a dealer done conversion.

TruckDriver

Boy, that car seems to up for sale every other year.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

472 R/T SE

Doesn't look to be a scam.  Jerry Junemann the owner looks to have consigned it with topshelf.  Hays, Kansas is the current location.

If only I could win the lottery.  :-\

lilwendal

I thought the article in MCG said all 70s were scams. ???

TylerCharger69

It's obviously a clone...in my opinion.   The window plug alone shows that.....and    I'm not for certain on this one...but  did the Daytonas come with door scoops???  Hmmmmmmm.   And...if it were a real thing....it would be worth much more than that!!!

Big Lebowski

I like it. When were the pics taken?
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

UFO

The daytona parts were added to a very nicely optioned 70 6-pack charger.

lilwendal

My problem with it is it cant be a factory car and thats how he is selling it. To me thats fraud. Maybe these items were dealer installed after purchase but I sure would like to see a build sheet that shows the nose and wing from the line.

472 R/T SE

Most scams are referred to as an unscrupulous seller (Nigerian) trying to get the better of you and I.  In that sense is what I was referring to.

UFO

Not necessarily after purchase.Maybe the dealership(Parsons Dodge according to the article)was not on the short list to get a Daytona.With a paying customer wanting a wing car they did the next best thing and built one.

tan top

Quote from: UFO on February 16, 2007, 07:49:00 PM
There was a big write in mopar coll guide about the 70 daytonas.In the end it was figured to be a dealer done conversion.

that car is supposed to be 1 of three i believe  :scratchchin:  hasn't that car got a window sticker showing a  daytona conversion  package option     :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

UFO

I thought there was too,but it was written on the dealership`s letterhead.

tan top

Quote from: UFO on February 16, 2007, 08:26:21 PM
I thought there was too,but it was written on the dealership`s letterhead.
              Hmmmm...   :scratchchin:  just written intresting  ,  i was pretty sure i had seen the window sticker  as well ...   :icon_smile_sad:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Daytona Guy

I have met Jerry and he is a great rare guy. This car is amassing and I have seen it and have my own pics of it. He has always said this is a dealer installed Daytona package. In the car world having a dealer do things to cars can make them a collector piece although not near what it would be if they actually made 3 - 70 Daytona from the factory. This car has made for a great discussion piece for Mopar history and makes this hobby fun. The three 70 Daytona's (all dealer made) are claimed to be this Purple one, the Green one that appears on the Chrysler poster with some black and white pics, and a mysterious Red and white one that no one has definitively found. 

In 1979 after my Dad and I made our first black Daytona that I drove to high school my Jr and Sr. year - I had people (Mopar nuts) that would approach me wondering if my car was one of the three Daytona's made in 70. So this legend was up and running very early on.

bpj

I remember this car from years and years ago.
There is no factory or dealer paperwork to document it being a "factory conversion", if I remember correctly. And I don't recall if there is an original build sheet for the car either. But regardless, it's a killer,4spd,Vcode fc7, matching numbers, Charger RTSE with a sunroof! And it was converted to a "Daytona" right from the start. Talk about COOL!
He wanted crazy money for the car years ago. I can't imagine what he wants for it today.

deputycrawford

The records clearly state that no Daytonas were built in 1970. The excuse about poor records is hooky. It was a dealer modified car. End of story. I would love to have the car, but its not a real Daytona. Many cars were and are modified from the dealer and are very cool. Its just not, and never will be a real Daytona. No one in the world could ever convince me otherwise. I know many of the insiders and have asked the question to many of them. Lets just put this thing to rest. Too many new people new to the hobby are being mis informed.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

1BAD68

Dealer installed Daytona package is the next best thing to a factory Daytona, and now with the pics that look to be 1970   :icon_smile_tongue:
Its a wicked car

nakita7

The car is an XS car. There are NO xx29 cars with a "0" as the sixth digit out there, period. If the owner, the dealer or the King of Siam installs a wing and a nose, it does NOT make the car a Daytona.

There, that should clear the mystery up....

Blakcharger440

I went to the Wheels and Spokes car museum in Hays KS back in '93 and took a look at the collection he had
back then which was really impressive. I saw the 70 Daytona and took numerous pics which I still have. I couldnt believe
what I was seeing at the time and thought it must be the rarest car to come out of Mopar heaven.

There were a couple of mopar mags that did articles but MCG got to the bottom of it and found that it was definitely dealer
installed Daytona parts on a 70 Charger RTSE sunroof car.
It is still a killer car no doubt about it. 

I seem to remember a couple of years back they were trying to get 1,000,000 out of it.
They have a long way to go to meet reserve on that!  :icon_smile_big:

Most internet scams originate out of Europe but this one is not. Although they are stretching alot about the actual
Daytona part.

Chad L. Magee

I know the car very well as I grew up only two hours away from Hays, Kansas and visited Wheels'N'Spokes many times when it was still open.  I want to base my future museum around his layout, allowing people to see vintage memorbilia along side of the cars.  While the 1970 Charger in question is not a factory Daytona, it is a very rare RT/SE 440 sixpack, 4-speed in purple (how many have you seen?).  I can't remember if the sunroof option on that car was factory optioned that way or a dealer convertion.  Either way, 1970 sunroof Chargers don't exactly grow on trees, let alone a sixpack, 4-speed in purple.  Add the dealer option on and it does become something more special.  I could care less if it is a "real" Daytona or not in the mopar world.  That one is on my list of favorite cars to buy in the future (yes, I plan on spending big $ to get it someday, if a certain someone does not beat me to it :icon_smile_approve:), as I would like to actually put that one to work as a fair weather driver for local shows........
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

UFO

Don`t remember where I found this,But you can read it on the left near the bottom "add daytona pkge"

AKcharger

Quote from: 1BAD68 on February 16, 2007, 11:11:06 PM
Dealer installed Daytona package is the next best thing to a factory Daytona, and now with the pics that look to be 1970   :icon_smile_tongue:
Its a wicked car

If you look in the picture you can see a '74 lemans in the street

Why was it striped and completely repained in 1976? wrecked? package added then?

THE CHARGER PUNK

I see it does have factory trunk braces, does it have the holes cut in the fenders 2???

lilwendal

Again the reason I say scam is through out the add he continually calls the car a daytona. It is not a daytona period. And for him to claim so is fraud.  I bought my wife a plain 06 mustang and on the same day from the same dealership purchase the GT grille, GT emblems and the GT rear bumper.  The next day these GT items were added to the car.  Does that make her car a GT? No.  When the conversion happens is irelevent. Half assed conversion at that. wheres the plug?  So sell it for what it is. A very nice well equiped 70 charger RT SE with the nose and wing of a daytona added after purchase.  Different note. I know plum crazy is very hard to match but from the looks of the door jams and the engine bay only the outside of the car has ever been repainted.