News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"BULLRUN" Reality Show on SpikeTV - YEP, I'M ON IT!! (Video & PIC)

Started by NYCMille, February 15, 2007, 10:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYCMille

The guys in Lambo, Jeff and John are actually really great guys. Jeff the owner, really is a car guy and can totally appreciate the Charger as well as the Scion that was on the show. Remember, these guys may have been playing it up a bit for the camera's. We actually spoke about the 496 El Camino (I think it was a 496) that he built and he was talking about probably building something else soon. Do I think he could have done better if he didn't abuse the car like that... yep, sure do, but I think the racoon he his kinda' broke his spirits (and the front of his car as car well). I'll tell ya' though, I can absolutely appreciate that car and I'll tell ya, if I had the money, there'd be one in the garage next to the Charger, well, if it could fit in the garage, which it can't... so, so much for that idea.

dkn1997

Quote from: 70charger_boy on April 07, 2007, 08:09:04 PM
If it was me I would go with the edelbrock 750.  Vacuum secondaries will greatly help with mpg's as long as you don't floor it all the time. The great thing about the edelbrock is that you have the power on demand.  Just make sure you are running a dual plane intake

a TQ would really help with mileage, very small primaries.  Guys who run 'em swear by them.  Demon sizzler could build you a killer one.
RECHRGED

revshag

Hey Guys,
I'm new here.  I've been hanging around for a while, but I just registered.

Mike,
I just wanted to echo many of the sentiments you've already gotten.  I love your car, and you and Jim have done a great job on Bullrun.  I love the show.  Thanks for answering everyone's questions.  I look forward to hearing more.

Chris

SeattleCharger

Quote from: dkn1997 on April 08, 2007, 08:00:35 AM
If it was me I would go with the edelbrock 750.  Vacuum secondaries will greatly help with mpg's as long as you don't floor it all the time. The great thing about the edelbrock is that you have the power on demand.  Just make sure you are running a dual plane intake

a TQ would really help with mileage, very small primaries.  Guys who run 'em swear by them.  Demon sizzler could build you a killer one.

I agree, thermoquad has small primaries, huge secondaries,  so if you aren't flooring it, the mpg. should be better.   I've got an 850 I'm gonna try, hoping I can get away with the larger size just because of the small primaries.  I don't know if this will work, as my build is better suited for a 750-770.   But the primaries are maybe half the size of the secondaries,  so when you aren't on the gas, well, you get the point, if you didn't already know this.  Pics are a TQ 850 and a Holley 870, but design is similar in smaller sizes I believe.   

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

70charger_boy

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on April 08, 2007, 04:29:18 PM
Quote from: dkn1997 on April 08, 2007, 08:00:35 AM

I agree, thermoquad has small primaries, huge secondaries,  so if you aren't flooring it, the mpg. should be better.   I've got an 850 I'm gonna try, hoping I can get away with the larger size just because of the small primaries.  I don't know if this will work, as my build is better suited for a 750-770.   But the primaries are maybe half the size of the secondaries,  so when you aren't on the gas, well, you get the point, if you didn't already know this.  Pics are a TQ 850 and a Holley 870, but design is similar in smaller sizes I believe.   
:iagree:

I totally forgot about the thermoquad.  I have had great success with the thermoquad on my 400 big block on my fury.  better than any holley carb

ChargerRT440

Quote from: NYCMille on April 08, 2007, 07:30:52 AM
The guys in Lambo, Jeff and John are actually really great guys. Jeff the owner, really is a car guy and can totally appreciate the Charger as well as the Scion that was on the show. Remember, these guys may have been playing it up a bit for the camera's. We actually spoke about the 496 El Camino (I think it was a 496) that he built and he was talking about probably building something else soon. Do I think he could have done better if he didn't abuse the car like that... yep, sure do, but I think the racoon he his kinda' broke his spirits (and the front of his car as car well). I'll tell ya' though, I can absolutely appreciate that car and I'll tell ya, if I had the money, there'd be one in the garage next to the Charger, well, if it could fit in the garage, which it can't... so, so much for that idea.
Yeah it's hard for me to pass a good judgement on them because all I've really been able to see of the show is him talking about how much the repairs will cost and how badly the clutch is worn out etc. Again great car man I can't wait to see how you did. how badly did he abuse the car? I've seen him do burnouts etc. but nothing that I didn't assume a car that expensive couldn't handle.

RECHRGD

Mike, nice pictures of the Gear Vendors unit.  Mine is still sitting in the box.  I was going to get started this weekend on the install, but they forgot to included the instruction manual!  I know it's a simple install, but I'm sure they intended to send instructions with it.  Anyway, I run a Holley 750 DP and get around 12mpg at 70 mph with 3.55's and 28" tall tires.  I would think once the gear Vendors unit is installed it should get 14 or 15mpg.  I think your engine build is close to mine.  You should be getting better mileage.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Brightyellow69rtse

ok now i been away for a while o got so much goin on i cant do a damn thing i wanna do myself anymore but anyway, saturday i get home from work. wife and kids are out so i do a few things around the house then i sit down to eat a sandwich so i toss it on spike to check out the powerblock for a few mins. so bull run starts im like mm mmmm i never got to see this ill check it out a bit then a charger doin a burnout with mr angry on the plate and im like hey i know that guy well the car anyway lol. musta been a  friggin blast man i didint see the whole show but i do remember you saying you were gonna be a prick or something in the show and you were yelling at your overdrive to kick in lol. great stuff hopefully i can catch more of the shows.....show then brand x boys how we roll in dodge country  :yesnod:...........Mike

BrianShaughnessy

I wouldn't rule out a decent six pack for better mpg and all.  The smaller primary carb works pretty good for that.
Highway mileage... well I got about 13 with the 4 speed/3.54.   15 - 16 now with the 5 speed/3.73.   Around town mileage is somewhat less of course  :P

The buy-in $ is more than just getting a new 4 barrel carb tho.    Frankly it'd be worth looking into an EFI setup for that much anymore as good six pack prices have basically gone up over  50% in the last several years.   I would be looking for a vacuum secondary carb for your application tho.    Proform'd like 6T9 Chris's seems to work pretty good.

Otherwise,   I'm kinda skeptical that torque converter is gonna stall at 2700 being that size.    Looks more like 3500 or more to me but I can't say for sure  ???     You might be throwing more mileage out the window with that.    That's where the Keisler auto may have a leg up with the ability to lock up the converter at highway cruise speeds.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

70charger_boy

ive seen the 6 pack set up brand new with intake and air cleaner gofor 2500 bucks on ebay

deputycrawford

I run a Dynamic 9 1/2 inch converter at 3500 stall. It only stalls to between 1800 and 2200 at part throttle. Go for the 3500 9 1/2 inch and never look back. I will never run anything else. It runs almost like stock; unless you put it to the wood and row the gear box. Too good to pass up. I drive it to the substation at work, yet my 60 fts are 1.84 on drag radials and street suspension. The best of both worlds.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Hemidoug

Guys...keep in mind he only has a few weeks to sort things out! A carb swap is one thing but making lots of big changes might bite him in the ass. There is more in that motor and I'm sure he will find it before the run. I don't think that making big changes are going to be a good return on investment. You need time to sort things out and right now I think time is short for that kind of thing. You can squeez 15-20 MPG out of the motor without having to change the manifold or making changes any more than a carb and a GOOD tune..... Don't forget, he isn't going to be running at WOT all the time. For this type of event you want to get the motor running at it's best. Best thing to do is to run a stock carb like an AVS and get it jetted for the motor. That will buy him a lot more than going to a whole new setup and having to sort things out from there........
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

71ChallengeHer

jasonfromIKILLYA

yeah, I'm edelbrock all the way.  That's where my vote is Mike.  I used to have a Holley 750DP and it would NOT stop blowing power valves.  I switched to an edlebrock and never had a problem again. 
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

Hemidoug

Ranger,
You are better off waiting until you install the GV unit and then measure what you need. Call Denny's driveshaft and order up a new one specific for your car. That's what I did and I've had no issues.

Hemidoug

Brightyellow69rtse

i liked my old thermoquad only reason i swapped it out is cuse the fuel bowls were cracked so anythime the car sat for a day if that all the fuel went back to the tank :-\ made for alot of starter crankin. i got a holley 750 vac sec i got it tuned perfect took some trial and error but it runs like a fuel injected car, the af is dead nuts all the way through the powerband too says the dyno..........Mike

Dave22443

Aw crap.  You mean I have to modify the drive shaft to run a GV unit?  :RantExplode:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Steve P.

Yes. You have to put a 90* bend in it...  JK.. It will need to be shortened..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Dave22443

Humor?  That was a joke?  ARGH!!  And I had already made my 90* bend!   :brickwall:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Steve P.

But you didn't even ask where the bend needs to be!!  I hope you made it in your floorboard.. The shaft must stand 5* back of vertical.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

bull

Quote from: Steve P. on April 09, 2007, 07:42:08 PM
I'm glad to see that SOME people get my humor..  ;)

I was wondering. ;) I thought maybe you were telling him to install a transfer case.

Steve P.

Quote from: bull on April 09, 2007, 07:58:08 PM
Quote from: Steve P. on April 09, 2007, 07:42:08 PM
I'm glad to see that SOME people get my humor..  ;)

I was wondering. ;) I thought maybe you were telling him to install a transfer case.

Not yet Bull. The transfer case goes in the trunk after the vibration lever goes in.. ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida