News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

D/A sander

Started by AmadeusCharger500, February 10, 2007, 05:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

I just bought an Ingersoll Rand D/A sander thinking it was an upgrade from the Harbor Freight Cheepo which lasted through one complete paint job.
Well this one lasted through one patch panel. It keeps slowing down, not starting again, or even just now not shutting off when the trigger is released.
It is hard to enjoy spending another $60 on a D/A when I can't trust brand names.

Any advice on brandnames or how to deal with this one would be wonderful.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mikepmcs

Wait a minute IR is the stuff, you just happened to get the one bad one they ever made.  I bet if you call them they will make it right.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

daytonalo

I have three from harbor freight for 10 years now , and abuse the shit out of them

jordyjim

rupo or is it rupa im not sure? they are good or sealey..jim

MorePwr

Have you checked your air hose for flow? I've had them colapse internally and still work fine for lower consumption tools like drills and ratchets but  DAs need a lot of air.

Something to check..I've never heard of a faulty IR tool. till now maybe.

mopar_madman

let them warranty it, IR is usually very good. you may have just got a bad one
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

Todd Wilson

Make sure its not freezing up. I had a air file that would do that. It would frost/freeze up.

Todd

AmadeusCharger500

Good point Todd. Its been down in the single digits this past week.

Also on the air hose, I switched hoses and it seemed to help. But only lasted about 2 sessions.

Daytonalo, do you have the dirt cheap ones ($25)?
Thats what I used previously and the only reason I got this one was I dropped that one several times, cracked the case, and finally it went caput. I beat the crap out of it before it gave up though.

Morepwr, how do I check the air hose for flow?

I just thought I would try to steer away from chinese parts on a new tool, but perhaps that is impossible.

Silver R/T

Make sure you got nice level pad also. Warped pad is no good in trying to finish off panel, it'll worsen good body work if you don't know what you're doing.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

MorePwr

not very scientific but, I'd plug in an air nipple and see  if the flow drops off substantualy and quickly.

what do your gauges say? are they up around 90psi when your da acts up?

is it that cold where your compressor is?

bill440rt

Quote from: Todd Wilson on February 11, 2007, 12:10:05 PM
Make sure its not freezing up. I had a air file that would do that. It would frost/freeze up.

Todd

Todd brings up a GREAT point. If it's too cold, I've seen ice form on the exhaust ports of some air tools. Make sure your garage you're working in is at least heated. I don't think any air tool will work properly is single-digit weather.
More importantly, do you OIL it?? A few drops in the air inlet before you use it will greatly improve the performance of & lengthen the life of the tool.

What size compressor are you using? The DA sander will probably need at least 90 psi of constant airflow. Make sure your compressor can keep up.

I've had an I/R DA sander for years, it has performed flawlessly. If it's a tool defect, don't just throw it in the garbage & buy a new one. CALL THEM! If it's new, I'm certain they would want to keep a customer happy & issue them a new tool.

The sander Silver posted is NOT a DA sander, it is an orbital sander. Very similar, but not the same.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

moparguy01

Quote from: Silver R/T on February 10, 2007, 05:41:11 PM
get this one, it'll be the last one you'll have to buy. Ive got one and best one I worked with
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AIR-VANTAGE-6-INCH-DUAL-ACTION-ORBITAL-SANDER-DA-TOOL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63693QQihZ010QQitemZ200076639119QQtcZphoto

sweet jesus thats the same one I have.
really its been a damn good finishing da for me. yes its pricy but its worth it.

Silver R/T

Quote from: bill440rt on February 11, 2007, 10:01:54 PM
Quote from: Todd Wilson on February 11, 2007, 12:10:05 PM

Todd

Todd brings up a GREAT point. If it's too cold, I've seen ice form on the exhaust ports of some air tools. Make sure your garage you're working in is at least heated. I don't think any air tool will work properly is single-digit weather.
More importantly, do you OIL it?? A few drops in the air inlet before you use it will greatly improve the performance of & lengthen the life of the tool.

What size compressor are you using? The DA sander will probably need at least 90 psi of constant airflow. Make sure your compressor can keep up.

I've had an I/R DA sander for years, it has performed flawlessly. If it's a tool defect, don't just throw it in the garbage & buy a new one. CALL THEM! If it's new, I'm certain they would want to keep a customer happy & issue them a new tool.

The sander Silver posted is NOT a DA sander, it is an orbital sander. Very similar, but not the same.

its not orbital but a D/A sander. Orbital just spins in one place. I wouldn't go with any other after Ive got mine, and Ive used it for years

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bill440rt

Amadeus, not to hijack the thread, but the sander Silver is showing is a RANDOM ORBITAL D/A SANDER. It spins in a RANDOM CIRCULAR MOTION. It does not just spin in a straight circle.
A regular D/A is different. Here is a link to a regular I/R DA sander & what it looks like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ingersoll-Rand-IR311A-Quiet-Dual-Action-DA-6-Sander_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34999QQihZ014QQitemZ330056426967QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

They are similar tools, but ARE different. The regular DA sander I am showing will spin in a random circular motion like the other one, but also features a lock-up that will also allow it to spin in a straight circle. This is especially useful when using rougher grit sandpaper to use as a grinder or to strip paint. The RANDOM ORBITAL CIRCULAR MOTION DA sander Silver is showing will not allow you to do that.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mikepmcs

Wow, and a great price for that I/R IMO.

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Chatt69chgr

Not sure where you live but here in Tennessee it's cold.  My dehumidifier started freezeing up some time ago.  Your DA may be doing the same.  I suspect water in the air.  DA's take a lot of air.  When you move that much air thru the line, it's hard to get all the water out.  I destroyed one DA by getting water in it and it rusted inside.  Couldn't be fixed.  Water will destroy all your air tools if you are not careful.  If you suspect this is the case, visit the tptools.com website and look at their tech tips page.  They show how to put together a good air system that will get rid of the water. 

Silver R/T

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on February 12, 2007, 09:39:47 AM
Not sure where you live but here in Tennessee it's cold. My dehumidifier started freezeing up some time ago. Your DA may be doing the same. I suspect water in the air. DA's take a lot of air. When you move that much air thru the line, it's hard to get all the water out. I destroyed one DA by getting water in it and it rusted inside. Couldn't be fixed. Water will destroy all your air tools if you are not careful. If you suspect this is the case, visit the tptools.com website and look at their tech tips page. They show how to put together a good air system that will get rid of the water.

how is your system setup? how many ft of line you got before it plugs into water trap?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

Quote from: bill440rt on February 12, 2007, 08:48:12 AM
Amadeus, not to hijack the thread, but the sander Silver is showing is a RANDOM ORBITAL D/A SANDER. It spins in a RANDOM CIRCULAR MOTION. It does not just spin in a straight circle.
A regular D/A is different. Here is a link to a regular I/R DA sander & what it looks like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ingersoll-Rand-IR311A-Quiet-Dual-Action-DA-6-Sander_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34999QQihZ014QQitemZ330056426967QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

They are similar tools, but ARE different. The regular DA sander I am showing will spin in a random circular motion like the other one, but also features a lock-up that will also allow it to spin in a straight circle. This is especially useful when using rougher grit sandpaper to use as a grinder or to strip paint. The RANDOM ORBITAL CIRCULAR MOTION DA sander Silver is showing will not allow you to do that.

You can strip paint with my D/A just fine. Just throw on some 80 grit or whichever suits you and paint comes off. Ive got separate sander/buffer for that occasion. Anyways you dont really want to strip a car with a D/A sander, its going to take a quite a bit of time. Use electric sander/buffer with 80 grit.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

dkn1997

I have a set of cheapie devilbliss air tools, lasted for 10 years so far with average use.  I noticed the impact gun was not working that well, a few drops of oil solved that.
RECHRGED

AmadeusCharger500

Update:

Ingersoll replaced the tool.

New one lasted one short work period of about 10 minutes.
Now it has as much sanding power as an airgun!

Resorted to using the Cheapo Pittsburgh again. Doesn't give me any trouble.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Silver R/T

buy one that I suggested, mine lasted me for years.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

hemi-hampton

I've been using my Beat up Cracked up I/R DA for past 10 years & it still works fine. Just keep them oiled to prevent a premature failure. LEON.