News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

air line

Started by Silver R/T, February 09, 2007, 04:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

I would like to know how you guys set up your air compressor/ air line. How many ft of line you got before its plumbed into air dryer/filter. What diameter did you go with?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mikepmcs

Silver, why?  You could get some other good information about what other members are using as well. :thumbs:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Chatt69chgr

Some of the best info I have found on this is an outfit called TP Tools.  Look them up under tptools.com.  Then look at their tech tips and then air line hookup.  It shows a diagram of how to do your air system and gives reasons why.  And they sell abrasive blasting guns.  The cabinet you get at Harbor freight is OK for the price.  You need to do some modifications to it.  Hang a flexible plastic sheet on the back to keep from blasting the back wall.  Use j-hooks.  The sheet is the clear vinyl floor runner you can get at Home Depot.  They have a gigantic roll.  You roll off what length you need.  Sold by the foot.  Then use brass grommet kit from about anywhere to keep plastic from tearing thru the j-hooks.  Also need some tearoff plastic for the window or it will get fogged up.  You will need to put a vacuum cleaner on the exhaust to pull out the dust clouds or you won't be able to see what you are doing.  Vacuum cleaner won't last forever but the plastic hang-up shop vacs are dirt cheap now.  Get a gun from TP.  They have the foot switch to control the air too.  Harbor Freight has a couple of kinds of blasting media.  If you need to change from one type to another, you can store it in plastic buckets.  I have some that cat litter came in that my daughter saves for me for this purpose.  I realize I have diverged away from the basic topic of air lines but once I got started, I couldn't stop.  Ignore this other info if you don't need it.

Silver R/T

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on February 09, 2007, 08:01:49 PM
Some of the best info I have found on this is an outfit called TP Tools. Look them up under tptools.com. Then look at their tech tips and then air line hookup. It shows a diagram of how to do your air system and gives reasons why. And they sell abrasive blasting guns. The cabinet you get at Harbor freight is OK for the price. You need to do some modifications to it. Hang a flexible plastic sheet on the back to keep from blasting the back wall. Use j-hooks. The sheet is the clear vinyl floor runner you can get at Home Depot. They have a gigantic roll. You roll off what length you need. Sold by the foot. Then use brass grommet kit from about anywhere to keep plastic from tearing thru the j-hooks. Also need some tearoff plastic for the window or it will get fogged up. You will need to put a vacuum cleaner on the exhaust to pull out the dust clouds or you won't be able to see what you are doing. Vacuum cleaner won't last forever but the plastic hang-up shop vacs are dirt cheap now. Get a gun from TP. They have the foot switch to control the air too. Harbor Freight has a couple of kinds of blasting media. If you need to change from one type to another, you can store it in plastic buckets. I have some that cat litter came in that my daughter saves for me for this purpose. I realize I have diverged away from the basic topic of air lines but once I got started, I couldn't stop. Ignore this other info if you don't need it.

that's exactly how our sandblaster is set up at my work. Very good setup. Too bad you cant sandblast big parts

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Chatt69chgr

Cabinet size will obviously hinder blasting big parts.  One possible solution would be to move outside and do it on a big sheet of plastic so you could reclaim the blasting media.  If the neighbors will allow it.  And there is also the idea of the pressure blaster.  A lot faster.  Also needs to be outside.  But you really need a lot of air.  Probably minimum is 2 stage/7.5 hp 80 gallon tank setup.