News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Finally, made my own gauge test set

Started by hemi68charger, February 06, 2007, 10:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Well, it may be grud, but it's mine... I checked out a temperature gauge I know is accurate and voila, it works !!!! Just got the Decade Resistance Box, so I had to experiment.....  I'm the Rallye-tester-dude now in Houston...  :icon_smile_big:

Inlew of a true 5v bench power supply (still looking for one), I duplicated what would really be the case utilizing a mechanical voltage limiter... I'll use the capacitor as well soon.. But, the readings should still be accurate...

In the last one, I have a ohm's value of 32, which equates to about 170.. Bingo !!!!

Troy

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

whitehatspecial

What can I use for a voltage limiter besides the Mopar part like you have ?
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

hemi68charger

Quote from: whitehatspecial on February 07, 2007, 11:09:38 AM
What can I use for a voltage limiter besides the Mopar part like you have ?

If you can find a 5-30v low amp. bench supply is should work.. You can get all sorts of reducers from what I hear at Radio Shack,  but I'm not one into soldering and such. I prefer "plug-n-play".......

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Charger_Fan

Nice work, Troy! :thumbs:
Where did you get that adjustable resistance box? That looks like it would be handy for most anything.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

hemi68charger

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on February 07, 2007, 02:49:03 PM
Nice work, Troy! :thumbs:
Where did you get that adjustable resistance box? That looks like it would be handy for most anything.

Found it on ebay, about $20...... Works fine...... Also just found three power supplies today, bench-type.. 0-30v @ 2 amp.... Perfect and a great price as well... Looks like I'm ready to go.....  Since I have a bunch of cluster frames and circuit boards I can work with, I'm going build some sort of testing platform..... I want to mimmick as close as possible the configuration once installed into the car........

Troy
Troy

Neal_J

I have the same Taco Bell toy on my bench!  Same color too!!

Neal

hemi68charger

Quote from: Neal_J on February 07, 2007, 07:05:09 PM
I have the same Taco Bell toy on my bench!  Same color too!!

Neal

My 6-year old son gave it to Daddy... So, I felt honored and had to display it....  :icon_smile_big:
Troy

hemi68charger

Well, here's my setup with the new power supply.. Works pretty dang good actually.....
Troy

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi68charger

Quote from: tan top on February 14, 2007, 06:42:30 PM
cleaver stuff  Troy  :thumbs:

Thanks..
Since I have solid state 5v power, I can verify the gauge is working proper. If I get the reading I want, then I can put in a mechanical voltage limiter and test it. That way, I can see if the limiter is operating properly.......

Decade Resistor box off ebay, ~$20
New Power supply, ~$50
Troy

gojo64

New Power supply, ~$50

Being able to test your own gauges anytime you like~ priceless  :icon_smile_cool:
"Well,... you gonna pull them pistols or... whistle Dixie?" Josey Wales
1969 Charger 383/727/3:55

Charger_Fan

That power supply was only 50 bucks? It looks like it would be more expensive than that, nice job on the shopping! :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

hemi68charger

Quote from: gojo64 on February 15, 2007, 01:12:46 PM
New Power supply, ~$50

Being able to test your own gauges anytime you like~ priceless  :icon_smile_cool:

You got that right..... It's fun checking the gauges out.... One more tool for the Hawkes aresenal of restoration.....  :icon_smile_big:

CHARGER_FAN..
took me long enough, but with enough "googling", you can find just about anything..... lol
Troy

dkn1997

Hey troy, have yo calibrated the gauges yet?  I've done a few and it's so cool.  I just went the ghetto route and bought some resistors from radio shack.  I then bought a bag of their jumpers for 5 bucks. 
RECHRGED