News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WIW 440&tranny

Started by Bandit72, January 28, 2007, 04:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit72

local guy is offering me a 74 440&727...it is complete from wingnut to oilpan. He says it will turn over but he hasn't tried to start it and the mileage is unknown. He also says it is a cast crank engine but he has a forged crank from a 413 that needs turned he'll sell with it. He's asking $700 for all of it. Is this reasonable or not?

thanks Ryan
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

CB

only input I have:
I know an engine shop in Portland,MD who buys used 440s for around 400 bucks to get rebuild. So I take that as a reference.
Don't know if it is far off. Sorry can't help you out :)
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Charger-Bodie

id say the 700. is reasonable but id try to get it cheaper you said its complete ? is the sheetmetal all nice ect?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

dodgeboy67

i paid 300 for 440 and 727 .....running / high mileage

no318

Sounds O.K, but probably not a "too good to pass up" deal.  The last I bought was 3-4 months ago. 1967 Steel crank 440 from Imperial.  Ran good, could hear it run.  Carb to pan with trans. $700. 

Blakcharger440

About a month ago I paid $200 for a 69 440 engine complete with exhaust manifolds and a extra set of 906 heads.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Bandit72 on January 28, 2007, 04:39:31 AM
local guy is offering me a 74 440&727...it is complete from wingnut to oilpan. He says it will turn over but he hasn't tried to start it and the mileage is unknown. He also says it is a cast crank engine but he has a forged crank from a 413 that needs turned he'll sell with it. He's asking $700 for all of it. Is this reasonable or not?

thanks Ryan

If you can see it run and all is good thats not a bad price but if you are not sure its a goot motor and tranny then about half that is what its worth.

Todd

RD

Quote from: Bandit72 on January 28, 2007, 04:39:31 AM

thanks Ryan

no way.. not in kansas.. he is nutz, barrett jackson nutz.  if you want a 440 that you will rebuild, let me know.. i find them all the time.  hell i got some.  PM ryan.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Mean 318

I got my 1970 440/727 running W/ 113000 miles on it for 700, and it ran good...

Big Lebowski

For $400 I'd buy it. Keep looking for a '70-'72 440...Those 440's come with the Six-pack rods, balancer, steel crank, etc,..
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."