News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much does a charger cost these days?

Started by MikeMacCham, January 28, 2007, 01:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeMacCham

hey guys,
just getting started in the Mopar Fever and I was wondering, how much is a fair price for a good condition charger, already fixed, and how much for a fixer uppper..not a rust bucket?

Thanks
"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

Doc74

Check ebay and listings to get an idea. The general rule, as with all, is that it's worth what people are willing to pay for it.
In any case you're looking at10-15k for a decent, driving charger, albeit with issues.But don't expect the top of the line.

Very important to know is which year you'd like and which trim. A 318 3rd gen will be more affordable than a 2nd gen r/t.

Keep an eye on ads, see what they go for and keep an eye on the for sale section here. If you're spending, might as well make a member happy. :icon_smile_big:

hemihead

Hope you have a thick wallet and a big bank account.Mopars USED to be one of the more affordable cars to get but since the greedy money people got into them the average guy is being pushed out.You would be better off with Ford fever.  :yesnod:
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

BB1

I just got a fixer upper for $6000. It has all the metal work done already. It's a Big Block, but it had no engine
or trans. Factory 2X black car.
Delete my profile

Shakey

I'd say about $35,000.00 USD for a decent one.

whitehatspecial

Quote from: MikeMacCham on January 28, 2007, 01:20:56 AM
hey guys,
just getting started in the Mopar Fever and I was wondering, how much is a fair price for a good condition charger, already fixed, and how much for a fixer uppper..not a rust bucket?

Thanks

Welcome to the site and the hobby. If you are not in a hurry, a deal will come your way. There are plenty of these cars still around and depending on how far you're willing to travel, you should be able to find a nice driver for 15-20k. If you're not determined to have an r/t, 440, or a specially-optioned car you'll be able to buy a much better car for that price range. If you want a trailer queen, then of course the price will be astronomical. It doesn't sound like what you are interested in owning.

Again welcome to the hobby and don't let people scare you. New people is what makes the hobby continue to thrive.

Post the results of your search and members on this board will help with your decision.

Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

MikeMacCham

Awsome, and thanks for the welcome! I'll keep my eye out here, what are some other hot sites to watch out for deals? How long do you think it will take for a deal (I can wait, just curious)?
"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

BB1

Hard to say, I've been looking for a year, but it finally paid off.  ;D
Delete my profile

jaak

There was a 318 car locally, it needed quarters and a trunk foor, but wasn't junk, decent project, guy wanted 3950, he sold it Wednesday,

Jason

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

69bronzeT5

No idea...around 4-5 grand for a project car? I got my project car back in 98 for $400
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

AKcharger

Also depends if you're willing to travel. I'd say $8-10K for a driving fixer upper BUT it sure is nice to pull up to a show with something that is NOT a Mustang, Chevelle, corvette or Camero, a nice Charger ALWAYS turns heads!

Welcome!

41husk

welcome aboard, and good luck, I would suggest you buy one as close to finished as you can possibly afford.  The cost of restoration and parts are sky high.  In the long run a finished Charger will save you some money and there is always something to do, if you just feel the need to tinker.  Besides, mopars are like lays potato chips,  "No one can own just one"  ;D
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

6670charger

As stated earlier, the first gen Chargers are still affordable.  They're a little more tricky to find parts for, but, with the right contacts, you can usually find what you need.

The others comments on pricing are pretty much right on.  If you can wait, you'll find something.  The Second gen cars are the most popular, although the 318 cars aren't nearly as bad as some of the big blocks.

The later third gen cars are pretty reasonable too
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

PocketThunder

What year(s) do you like?

66~67 (1st Generation)
68~69 (2nd Generation) ....... 70 (2nd Generation but not at cool as a '69 :icon_smile_tongue: :nutkick: )
71~74 (Third Gens)

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

skip68

When I look for a car I don't worry so much about if it has a motor or tranny. Those are easy to get.  It really depends on how much money you have to spend.  :yesnod:  I'm more concerned with RUST, and it being COMPLETE.  If you are on a budget, try to get as clean and complete car as you can.  My guess would be 6K to 10K would get you a decent roller(good body, no eng. no tranny.). And 10K to 15K for an ok driver (needing some work, body, running gear, interior.)  Remember you are buying a car not an engine or some dumb a$$ rims. Unless it's a hemi, or a 6pk, it won't add thousands of dollars to the car.  ;)  I can't tell you how many times I've seen young guys buy a nothing car because it had a cool set of rims or stereo.  Make sure your money goes where it counts and not in dumb a$$ Bling bling junk  :slap: that really has no value. Good luck and welcome to the site.  :wave:   Chuck................
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Chad L. Magee

Here is a recent purchase story to prove a point that buying a more complete Charger is better than a body shell when you start out.  Three months ago, I bought a 1969 Charger body shell on ebay for $770.  The top is severly dented as well as the driver side rear quarter.  The only things left on the body were the rear seatbelts and the fender tag.  I am on the hunt for the missing VIN tag, but I think I can find it if it did not leave the state of Kansas (I am putting out a $ reward for it's return).  If I was just starting out into this hobby, this car would cost me way, way more to fix than it would be worth restored due to all of the missing parts.  The grille and two front fenders would set me back at least $2,000 if I had to buy them.  (Luckly, I have everything to fix this one already.)  It's saving grace?  It was orginally an 69 RT/SE auto  ;D....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

ChargerXP

Since we're on the topic, what do you all think mine would be worth?  I paid 11K for it in December 1998 in the shape you see here.  I had it appraised in February 1999 and the guy said it was probably worth between 18-23K.  However, I know the prices have gone up since then.  It is a numbers-matching 383 Magnum, 727 car.  Options: 8 3/4 Sure-Grip rear end, bucket seats, PS, console, original Magnum 500s, original spare with Goodyear Polyglas tire, original vinyl top, all original upholstery except part of the driver's seat.  The under carriage is nice but not 100%.  72,000 miles on it currently.  I also have the orignal window sticker, build sheet, owner's manual.  It was purchased from the original owner. 

41husk

were are you at in Illinois?  I am down by STLouis Mo.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

ChargerXP

I actually live in Indiana...the car was purchased from the original owner who lived in Aurora, IL.  Those pics are from the day I bought the car. 

PocketThunder

Quote from: MikeMacCham on January 28, 2007, 01:20:56 AM
hey guys,
Thanks

Here you go Mike!

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/267837145.html
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

MikeMacCham

"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

DodgeChargerNeeded

I have noticed you can get a really nice car but not a show car for right around $20k
Jeff

tburns

I picked up a 71 318 one week before Christmas for $5,800.  Guy had it as a daily driver but had recently bought a truck so he put the Charger up for sale.  He had just had it painted (albeit not a great job), new top, new seats, everything else is original, matching numbers, etc...  Interior needs some work but I wanted something to drive on the weekends and take my kids out in.  His ad said asking price of $9,000 but he told me he was selling it also because he needed cash (not the best way to negotiate).  An hour later and a huge wad of $100s and the car was mine.  I have put about $500 in it at the local shop for a tuneup, etc... and it runs fine for what I wanted it for.  Three guys in my neighborhood commented on it at a X-mas party I was at after only having it in my garage for three days...