News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 rod and main bearings

Started by 70daytonaclone, January 27, 2007, 09:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70daytonaclone

Hi all and heres one for you motor heads. 318 in short box  1983 truck has developed a rod knock and would like to know if I can change the bearings with the engine still in the truck? jack up the engine,pull the oil pump and pan,then change rod bearings one at a time. also would like to know about changing the main bearings. can  those be done with the motor still in the truck? thanks Stephen

tecmopar

In a word, yes, it can be done. Should it be done this way, probably not. If it spun a bearing it more than likely scored the crank as well and/or screwed up the big end of the rod than lost the bearing. JMO but I would give it a try but be prepared to pull the motor, good luck.

70daytonaclone

thanks tecmopar but it just started a slight rattle at start and not ever time. I will try this as it is a fresh engine that  i found in a local junk yard only cost me 100 dollars so far.

70daytonaclone

installed new rod bearings and HV pump how far should I go before I give a oil change??? thanks 70daytonaclone. motor is in a 83 short box going to Charlotte saturday am. toj pick up a 71 Mach  1 for a friend. :icon_smile_cool: