News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any 440 tricks

Started by Rayzor, January 23, 2007, 08:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayzor

I am ready to start spinning some wrenches and bolt it all together. However I thought I would toss the combo up here along with what has been done. Just wanting to know if I over looked a place that should be worked more. Here we go.
Block 1970 - 440 HP, bored .60 with plates , drilled for Milodon 1/2 pickup and oil pump,  tanked 3 times, decked .05, every bolt hole tapped, arp main and head studs. Factory LY rods with arp bolts shotpeened and resized. Speed pro forged L2266F pistons, factory steel crank. I polished and ground the counterweights and had the setup balanced with a sfi fluid dampner. Went with the Engle K54H cam 470 lift 214@.50 and 112 Lc and a true roller timing chain, Heads are 69- 906 castings. Hard seats on intake and exhaust. Went stainless 2.08 intake 1.81 on the exhaust with a 3 angle and back cut on both. Had the bowl hogged out and then just hand blended to clean them up a bit. Decks were cleanup milled and the valve springs are engles matched to cam. The rockers are stock and  will be covered  by MP covers, and the bottom will be a Milodon 8 quart. I am leaning towards a rpm intake and already have a 750 Holley. So any last minute sugestions? This will just be a spicy street car motor I hope. No track time. Any guess on HP numbers? Thanks Ray

67_Dodge_Charger

What is the compression?  Are you using headers?  How about the ignition?  2.08 on the intake is slightly restrictive on your power range.  I would say around the 425 to 450 hp and slightly higher on the torque.  Sounds like a great street setup.

Robert

Challenger340

So you're targeting what / say 9.5 to 9.7:1 comp. ratio with the 2266 Pistons by milling the block .050"  ?  Fel-Pro gasket ? or steel shim ?

Is that correct ? You had the block decked "50" thou ?  What is your 906 head "cc" ?

Were the heads milled as well ?

Looks good. You may wish to mock-up and check the "Intake fit" prior to final assembly  ?   You may have to "oblong" the holes slightly ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

is_it_EVER_done?

I would be really scared using a Milodon pick-up. They are notorious for breaking off at the weld where it threads into the block. Get a Moroso pick up, or carefully go over, and re-weld/reinforce the Milodon pickup, Plus Milodon won't accept ANY responsability for their failed/flawed parts.

I consider ANY Milodon product to be a downgrade.

Rayzor

Opps, I ment .005 milled on the block decks to bring things squared to the mains. The heads were milled .010
I have not checked the CC yet but I am projecting 9.1 compression with the steel shim gasket. I dont think there will be intake fitting issues but if there are I will have it milled. I have Hooker comps I think they are 1 3/4 tube into mandrel 2 1/2 exhaust threw Dynomax muffs out the back. The ignition is stock hei. from some early 70's car I dont remember. Is there a way to support the oil tube or beef it up? Im not seeing any welds by the threads there tapped on the tube.   425-450 horse? Wow, I would be happy to hit 375

Challenger340

NO Intake fit issues with the .005" milling, it'll fit fine.  You just scared me with the ".05" typo so I had to ask !  LOL

Looks like a nice engine, should run well for you !

Bob out.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

firefighter3931

Ray, depending on how well the heads flow ; that combo with the RPM intake and headers should be in the 420hp range and close to 500 ftlbs of tq. Like Bob said.....it will be nice and smooth and easy to tune with lots of vacuum and strong throttle response.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs