News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

charger, it will remain a dream....

Started by LivedodgeItaly, January 23, 2007, 03:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LivedodgeItaly

>:(  :'( ....due to pollution and eviromental problems a charger will have to remain a dream for me in Italy  :icon_smile_blackeye:

I won't be allowed to drive it freely on roads unless there is an "official occasion, meeting ect..." it means something like 10 days per year......

no weekend ride!  :'(

I cannot think of having a car without using it!!!!!!  :icon_smile_sad:  considering high costs I should stand to have it here.... not worthwhile I guess.

please I  need ..... good and positive words wispered at my ear.

:'(   Andrea

Charger1973

How about swapping in a newer drivetrain?  Lots of people are using the new 5.7L Hemis in their old Mopars these days. 

bull

Sounds like Italy is run by facists. Move away.

Or, sign up for every "official occasion, meeting etc..." you can include a car in. There has to be lots of those activities going on every summer.

CB

Sorry to hear Andreas
When the government starts talking about pollution, I m getting uncomfortable too.
Replacing with new engine is a good idea to keep the 69.
If you would visit Belgium sometime you are more then welcome to cruise around with me and my 69!
:drive:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

THE CHARGER PUNK

Hey u know what really sucks??? one day thats gonna happen to us they are gonan outlaw these cars cause of pollution what then??? hopefully i will be long dead b4 that day comes :yesnod:-MATT

LivedodgeItaly

they look like fascists...you're right..move away..a bit more difficult;
swapping in a new engine and drivetr...I have to collect infos abuout it: expencise I think..and what's more difficult to register here..it would be needed a registration (expencive) as a "unique vehical" ( do not know a lot about);

sad situation is as follows:

national law, but single regions have 4 years to take part into it...my region ofcourse has been the first to agree ....damn....

From april 2007 every bike 2 stroke is stopped (if not Euro 1) 4 stroke keep on;
from october 2007: every car (petrol or diesel) not "Euro1" as pollutin norm is stopped if not "historical" ( everything built between 1987 and 1993 not part of an historic register)
From october 2008: every diesel "Euro1" is stopped (cars from 1992-3 till 1997).....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you get some cash to "junk" them if you buy a new  unpolluting car...but a lot of limitation in Hp and engine sizes have been settled...

my brother's car cannot move any longer from october 2007;
my daily driver Toyota land cruiser from october 2008;
our offroad Merceds G cla toy in four years..( as 30 yers old then)
with my enduro bikes I'm safe still for a while (both honda xe and suzuky rm 250 are registered);
with my Golf R32 I'm safe ...it's Euro4!!!
Concerning a charger swapping would be interesting...if it were possible to obtain homologations.... and registration with new polluting norms!!!!

how much could it cost ???

Andrea

LivedodgeItaly

CB thanx for inviting....
I know there are a lot of chargers over there....  :P
I do travel alot for job...so it's more than possible!!!!!!! I'll let you know.

Andrea

ChargerSG

Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

bull

Whenever I experience dumb rules I immediately think of ways around them. You say 10 days a year? Ok, so is there any limit on how many miles you put on the car during those 10 days? If you drive 200 miles each of those 10 days you'll probably be putting 500 more miles on your Charger per year than many guys in the USA do. Actually, 10 days isn't all that bad when you think about it. I bet most guys here don't average much more than that in a summer. Maybe four car shows plus 5-10 weekend outings and then it's back into the garage for the winter. Like I said, get plugged in to some classic car club and start signing up for every show/cruise event you can find. Honestly, it could be a lot worse than 10 days worth of Charger fun. I'd sooner enjoy 10 days than none.

Shakey

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on January 23, 2007, 04:13:45 AM
.....one day thats gonna happen to us they are gonan outlaw these cars cause of pollution what then???....

The song Red Barchetta comes to mind!   :yesnod:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Shakey on January 23, 2007, 06:44:12 AM
Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on January 23, 2007, 04:13:45 AM
.....one day thats gonna happen to us they are gonan outlaw these cars cause of pollution what then???....

The song Red Barchetta comes to mind! :yesnod:
Great song! :cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeZk3W1GrGc
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger_Fan

Quotefrom october 2007: every car (petrol or diesel) not "Euro1" as pollutin norm is stopped if not "historical" ( everything built between 1987 and 1993 not part of an historic register)
I read that as a Charger would be "historical", therefore exempt from pollution laws...

..or am I reading that wrong? :shruggy:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Chatt69chgr

The whole business of making these old cars meet air pollution laws is really pretty stupid.  Folks who own these cars put very few miles on them particularly compared to all the other cars on the road.  And the amount of $$ that is pumped into the economy because people are restoring these cars is phenomenal.  I think the SEMA bunch said that their industry was a billion dollar industry.  Why would you want to keep people from putting a billion dollars into the economy?  I would think the same thing would pretty much be true in Italy. 

Troy

CHARGER_FAN: I think it means that anything NOT historical is banned completely. :o That pretty harsh to ban cars as new as 1997.

As for modernizing the engine, I'm not sure what you'd have to put in a Charger to get it to pass such harsh restrictions. For sure you'd need a small displacement engine with catalytic converters and all. Possibly a new Hemi with the variable cylinder disabling technology? It would be simpler, cheaper, and more fun(!) just to leave it stock/modified and find creative ways to get around the driving restrictions. It sounds like the historical cars are emissions exempt as long as the other rules are followed.

Good luck!
Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Doright

GRRRRRRRRR!
I hate hearing stuff like this! HOW COULD THEY?
I would leave the car compleetly stock and just drive to the shows as others have said just join all the clubs you can and make and start your own club, then rally the boys up for the cruises and shows swapmeets ect you will be suprised how many others will ralley with you! youl come up with more days driving than you really want to drive I bet! thease cars are expensive to drive thease days any ways with gas prices as they are.
I dont want to drive mine to work more than twice a year so it will be a show car in the end driven maybe 30-40 days a year tops

Think about it
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

Silver R/T

what about all those lambos', ferrari's etc. I don't think those v12s got better emissions than a well tuned Charger
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

pettyfan43

What it looks like is the government is in bed with new car makers, Doing all they can to make everybody buy newer "Non polluting" (YEAH RIGHT) cars.

LivedodgeItaly

..you are right pettyfun43...they help you buy what....

fiat punto, panda, 1.3 cc engine ect.....

the stupid thing is that everything(diesel and petrol) between 1988 and 1992 will be stopped, next winter diesel up to end 1996 by next year...
if you have an "historical car" (20 yeras old or more) you need to be registered in the special register for such cars..not everything older than 20 is considered " historical", when you reach 30 years old....stop, only moving around on official occasion, meetings ect.... today I heard  I'd be allowed only on private properties or closed roads for meetings ..so I should buy a lorry to bring it around....!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'(

Do not know what else to say!

you luky

Andrea

bull

What a crock! Don't the classic car guys have some sort of lobbying strength? I know there are clubs and insurance companies in the US that spend money to fight stuff like this. If the US did what happened there you can bet there's be some civil unrest. :yesnod:

LivedodgeItaly

....there are but they aren't that powerful!!!!  >:(
they going too crazy here.....maybe in the end nothing or barely nothing  will happen.  ???

We'll see;

keep on saving money for the charger by any chance!!!!!!  ;)

Thanx for all your words.

Andrea

2Gunz

Firstly..... whos to say exactly how many days you drove the car?

Tell them you drive 9 times a year and drive it 50.

And secondly this stuff pisses me off.

California has pretty strict pollution laws ( for the US anyway).

And they (the state) is one of the worst offenders.

Ever follow a bus in LA? Might as well just start a tire on fire.

The cop cars and state vehicles are all excempt ( I think).

So say 10,000 cop cars...
who knows how many service trucks...
Dumptrucks, highway mantaince trucks...
Firetrucks...
The people with the state cars...

All with no or up to date smog stuff.

And yet the little guy gets nabbed for it.

Doesnt make sense.

LivedodgeItaly

...I perfectly agree with you 2Gunz..it's just the same in Italy...medium age of oue public busses....20-28 years old diesel....black smoking every time a gear is put in!!!!!
it's still all to be seen...
I keep on hoping I'll be able to drve my still to come charger by any way...!!  :yesnod:

Andrea

tan top

hi Andrea ,  is there any  mopar clubs  Italy   :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Arigmaster

I wonder if it would make a difference if it was converted to run on propane or natural gas?  Granted you will lose performance but if it's tuned there is far less pollution. May even be able to register it as experimental. (alternative fuels)

Just a thought...

LivedodgeItaly

...not really a mopar club..there are some but mainly "american cars clubs".. there's a Corvette club, a Mustang club, American V8 club, a "Chevy club"....not very common such passion here.
A club usually has both oldies and new cars...there are not a lot in Italy...

Converting to alternative fuel (propane, natural gas, Lpg ) more than possible..do not know if ther are advantages on such oldies....at the moment what's not catalized (1987-1992) even with LPG or natural gas has to be junked...so....  :'(

I'm thinking to trade my Toyota Land cruiser turbo diesel for may be a Gran cherockee (wrong written maybe) v8 gas/LPG....maybe ..we'll see.

Andrea