News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best Way To Clean Up Faded Aluminum Slots?

Started by 69DodgeCharger, January 21, 2007, 02:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69DodgeCharger

I was wondering what some of you guys have used to clean up your dirty/faded old school aluminum slot rims. I just spent an hour and a half on one rim and it still gets the rag black each time I "rub" it down. Not looking for Barrett Jackson results but I would like to save some time!
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

rt green

the best way to do it, is to go to a big rig dealership. see if they sell the acid they use to re do truck aluminum rims.  have them put it in a spray bottle. i did. spray it on[off the car ] wait 15 secs, spray it off with water. i had to do mine twice.  when i was done i could see the machine marks from the manufacture. then, you polish from there.  or, some times they will do the whole redo and polish for you. they can get them to look like chrome if you want.  good luck!      bruce
third string oil changer

terrible one

Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on January 21, 2007, 02:13:53 AM
I was wondering what some of you guys have used to clean up your dirty/faded old school aluminum slot rims. I just spent an hour and a half on one rim and it still gets the rag black each time I "rub" it down. Not looking for Barrett Jackson results but I would like to save some time!

It may seem time consuming, but this is what I did:

1. Powerwashed them.
2. Scrubbed down real good with an SOS pad in some warm soapy water
3. Rinsed off in warm water (used my shower haha)
4. Sanded the whole thing with 600 grit sandpaper
5. Repeated step 1 twice.
6. Applied Eagle One "Nevr-Dull" polish (I would have rather used Mother's but I already had this)
7. Buffed into a great shine with a rag. There wasn't much black residue at all.

Before:

After (one wheel):

TruckDriver

Quote from: rt green on January 21, 2007, 10:30:27 AM
the best way to do it, is to go to a big rig dealership. see if they sell the acid they use to re do truck aluminum rims.  have them put it in a spray bottle. i did. spray it on[off the car ] wait 15 secs, spray it off with water. i had to do mine twice.  when i was done i could see the machine marks from the manufacture. then, you polish from there.  or, some times they will do the whole redo and polish for you. they can get them to look like chrome if you want.  good luck!      bruce

Hey Bruce... Save your self some money. You can buy that stuff at a big truck dealer, but if you go to most farm supply stores (around here Fleet & Farm OR Farm & Fleet stores, we have both) and just buy muriatic acid, for $2 or $3.00 a gallon, and dilute it 50%, and it does the same thing for a lot less. Just don't do it in the house, and don't do it down wind cause it will take your breath away. You can dilute it more too if you want.

Quote from: terrible one on January 21, 2007, 11:05:39 AM

1. Powerwashed them.
2. Scrubbed down real good with a scotch-brite pad in some warm soapy water
6. Applied Eagle One "Nevr-Dull" polish (I would have rather used Mother's but I already had this)
7. Buffed into a great shine with a rag. There wasn't much black residue at all.

T.O.'s way works good too. I have used steel wool though instead of a scotch-brite pad and sand paper. No matter how you do it, it is time consuming and a pain in the :moon:

I need to do mine, and I'm not looking forward to it............... any offers to do them for me? ;)
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

terrible one

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on January 21, 2007, 11:22:36 AM

T.O.'s way works good too. I have used steel wool though instead of a scotch-brite pad and sand paper. No matter how you do it, it is time consuming and a pain in the :moon:

I need to do mine, and I'm not looking forward to it............... any offers to do them for me? ;)

Wow, I did say scotch-brite! Haha I meant an SOS pad; steel wool. I did try it with a scotch brite pad but it didn't do much and got torn up really easily. I'll edit my post. And Wi. Charger Guy is right. It's a huge pain. Took me a few hours per wheel, and they could still use some more polishing.

dkn1997

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on January 21, 2007, 11:22:36 AM
Quote from: rt green on January 21, 2007, 10:30:27 AM

Hey Bruce... Save your self some money. You can buy that stuff at a big truck dealer, but if you go to most farm supply stores (around here Fleet & Farm OR Farm & Fleet stores, we have both) and just buy muriatic acid, for $2 or $3.00 a gallon, and dilute it 50%, and it does the same thing for a lot less. Just don't do it in the house, and don't do it down wind cause it will take your breath away. You can dilute it more too if you want.

1. Powerwashed them.
2. Scrubbed down real good with a scotch-brite pad in some warm soapy water

you can also get muriatic acid at a pool supply or marine supply.  the marine place might sell it under the brand "on and off"  it's made for getting the crud off the bottom after a season sitting in our salt water here.
RECHRGED

mopar_madman

I cleaned them and sanded with 600 grit wet then used the mothers power ball and polish
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

Argos_Chargers

For the polishing step I found that putting a buffing wheel on my drill was an easy and effective wayy of polishing.  I spent about three minutes a piece on the last three rims where I spent over 15 minutes on the first rim polishing by hand.  The result was better too!   o.k. maybe I'm just lazy, but hey it worked...
MoPar -- The only way to fly!