News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New project car

Started by MorePwr, January 09, 2007, 07:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MorePwr

I found the Grandmas car I've been looking for :icon_smile_big: It's an H code 68 Satellite 273 cid. Completely unmolested. even the factory radio is there and works. the interior is very good. it'll need carpet, seat covers, a glove box latch and a window crank handle, and that's it.

It'll need a bit of body work before it gets paint though, Grandma apparently bumped into everything. nothing too bad, accept the passenger quarter may need a replace due to a crunch and some rust.

Mechanically, also not too bad. I took the radiator down to get recored today, definitely 75% plugged. the idler arm is loose, brakes pull, exhaust leaks at the donut gasket. and the lights pulse, I'm guessing that will be the voltage regulator. any suggestions? also charging pretty high, by the gauge.

Sorry about the pics. raining Really Hard today.

MorePwr

more pics

MorePwr

Here is where I may go with it. Less the color.

mikepmcs

That looks like a sweet sleeper in the making :yesnod:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Brock Samson

WpW! that is really cool!  i dig an indoor pool!  :thumbs:

Charger1973

Hey that reminds me of a 4 door 68 Coronet I used to have.  I like the old 4 door cars like that.  I would keep it stock though and just drive it if it was me.  My 68 was a 273 also, good running motor. 

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Manfred318

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

MorePwr

Thanks guys, My intentions are to keep it completely stock, right down to the 273 2barrel and correct paint. just paid an extra hundred to rebuild my radiator over what a replacement would have cost. I wouldn't even think of molesting a car this stock.

My only deviation might be wheels and ride height, both easily reversable. assuming it's a torsion front suspension and I can just crank the front down and block the rear.....But I don't know, maybe factory wheel covers :shruggy:

Where would I find which wheel covers my car came with? build sheet the only place? I haven't looked to see if it's still there yet.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

THE CHARGER PUNK

heres where you could find some correct hubcaps-MATT

http://www.hubcaps.org/plymouthpass.html

MorePwr

Brock Samson

i'm sorry i didn't mean to sound sarcastic,.. i was jabbin fun but who ain't had a pool back there?..
nice car no adam 12 paintjob?..

konigcharger

like these personally

my dad had them on his 68 fury

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

MorePwr

Quote from: Brock Samson on January 09, 2007, 11:19:02 PM
i'm sorry i didn't mean to sound sarcastic,.. i was jabbin fun but who ain't had a pool back there?..
nice car no adam 12 paintjob?..

It's ok Brock, I don't mind a little jabbin. it's all in good fun :icon_smile_big:

MorePwr

Quote from: konigcharger on January 10, 2007, 12:14:15 AM
like these personally

my dad had them on his 68 fury

That's funny, The 343 would be my first choice also. Think they were available on the Satellites?

Bandit72

i want to find an old 4 door car and make a cop car clone out of it....
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

69Charger_440

Quote from: MorePwr on January 09, 2007, 07:21:20 PM
I found the Grandmas car I've been looking for :icon_smile_big: It's an H code 68 Satellite 273 cid. Completely unmolested. even the factory radio is there and works. the interior is very good. it'll need carpet, seat covers, a glove box latch and a window crank handle, and that's it.

It'll need a bit of body work before it gets paint though, Grandma apparently bumped into everything. nothing too bad, accept the passenger quarter may need a replace due to a crunch and some rust.

Mechanically, also not too bad. I took the radiator down to get recored today, definitely 75% plugged. the idler arm is loose, brakes pull, exhaust leaks at the donut gasket. and the lights pulse, I'm guessing that will be the voltage regulator. any suggestions? also charging pretty high, by the gauge.

Sorry about the pics. raining Really Hard today.
I know where there is another car like that near where I live.  The owner is asking $850, but I'm sure I could get it for at least $400-$600 because it has been sitting there for a long time.  The only damage I noticed back then was a dent in the right rear quarter panel and the interior was not as good as yours.  Do you mind saying how much you paid?  Nice car by the way. 

41husk

That would make a nice police cruizer.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

MorePwr

I know where there is another car like that near where I live.  The owner is asking $850, but I'm sure I could get it for at least $400-$600 because it has been sitting there for a long time.  The only damage I noticed back then was a dent in the right rear quarter panel and the interior was not as good as yours.  Do you mind saying how much you paid?  Nice car by the way. 

500.00 .the seller was asking 1,500.00

tan top

intresting project , leave it looking as is for a wile but drop a built 440 in , then go and shut down some chebbies  :icon_smile_evil:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

MorePwr

Quote from: tan top on January 10, 2007, 01:46:20 PM
intresting project , leave it looking as is for a wile but drop a built 440 in , then go and shut down some chebbies  :icon_smile_evil:

Na that's what this is for. But it would be cool to have a four door sleeper. the WTF look on peoples faces in the rearview would be priceless. one three mile to the gallon car is enough for me. Hopefully the Satellite will get closer to ten mpg.

THE CHARGER PUNK

add a vinyl top and the hubcaps or 14'' road wheels and drop a 383 and a 4-spd and you have quite a sleeper there :yesnod:-MATT

Charger_Fan

Looks like it's spent most it's life in a garage, there's no way there would be anything left of that trunk if it was outside a lot.
Great looking car! :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

MorePwr

Thanks for the compliments. I was also surprised to find so little rust on the body. different story for the cooling system. apparently since the grand kids (who sold it to me) took possesion of the car, they have been nursing a leaking softplug with pure water and probably lots of stop leak.... needles to say, ugly, rusty water in the cooling system. So I flushed it real well added some conditioner and coolant, and took it for a drive... sweet driver. this is definitely a keeper.

The weather shut down my plans to replace the idler arm today. the roads are too icy to take it to the shop.