News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I got a beginners paint job question (don't smack me)

Started by Supercharged Riot, January 05, 2007, 01:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supercharged Riot

I'm painting my daily driver WHITE. But for some reason I don't think the color of the Primer really matters because the thick-enough paint coat should  cover it all anyways.  Sp I'm wanting to use black primer on my car for the time being until I can afford an actual paintjob.  Am I ok doing this? or should I use a lighter color primer?

dodgeterm

talk to your paint supply co.   he will most likely tell you a gray primer will give you a better result than black or red...,,. 

TylerCharger69

I'd go with the grey myself....for a white paintjob anyway.

bandit67

I like primered cars..............as long as the primer is ALL one color. My 73 is black primer now, and looks pretty good.  Flat paint maybe catching on as I just saw a Harley at the dealership painted flat blue.  From a distance I thought the bike was done up in some type of denim.  Sooooooo, paint it black primer for now, and when it is time to paint , resaand lightly, reprimer and paint..........your car..........J

Doc74

It will very likely cover it, but if you'd compare it to a car with the same paint which had light grey primer, yours may be darker. But as long as you do the whole thing and not piece by piece, you should be alright.
Light grey primer is the best though, lotsa white, drops of black, don't use pure white or you'll be sanding with shades on.
Besides if you use black primer now and later have a base/clear paintjob, they can use any light base before spraying the white so it really won't matter a lick.

RogerDodger

When you do paint it you should be putting a sealer on first. Maybe then you could go with a gray sealer coat. The sealer should be applied when you are painting as there is a maximum time between sealer and paint per the manufacturer.

TylerCharger69

yeah...something like 30 minutes???   An hour maybe??

RogerDodger

hemi-hampton

I say Prime it any color you want. Wont matter because just before you paint you shoud seal it. Seal the Black Primer with Gray Sealer. OR They actually do make a white sealer. You could use DP50 i think is white. LEON.

Supercharged Riot

Well I dont plan on painting the car until later this year.  Do yu think it's safe to just leave my car in primer alone?  or do I at least have to apply the sealer?

hemi-hampton

Depends on the primer used & if left indoor or outdoor. LEON.

Silver R/T

Id go with white/gray primer. It'll take you more coats to cover black primer with white paint. Thick paint isn't good thing.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

berna4406

Catalyzed gray primer is fine.White will cover over it really fast.You can use white primer if you like.As long as it is catalyed it will hold moisture back.If preped right you don't have to spray on a sealer.It is more of a painter preference and amouint of time spent preping.Everything also depends on how much money you want or can spend on your project.
                                 God luck Sam