News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Could I get a "looks right" check on this 400 engine build recipe?

Started by AKcharger, December 27, 2006, 05:51:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Thanks for looking!

Hey, I'm hoping some of you "experts" can take a look at my build plan and make sure I'm not messing anything up...cams/carbs/piston combos is NOT my strong point, I just put this together from what I've read and think sounds good:

Car - Wife's 1972 Charger Ralley...all Stock

Objective - Build a smooth, dependable engine that's stock appearing with as much power/torque as possible. Cost is a factor but quality/reliability is primary...I don't plan for this engine to ever come apart again

Engine Block - I believe an Mar '71 400 Block, it's the numbers matching Block for the car  (Trans too)

Drive train - 727 with standard converter 3:91 sure-grip (although I do have a set of 2:76's for long trips)

Plan -
- Minimal bore on block...it looks pretty good but don't want to bore it any more than I have too
- Heads are 452's with a planned Standard valve job and new MP springs (I will not need hardened seats in those heads right?)
- Cam DCC-4120235 -- 241 int./241 exh. at 050 inch Lift with 282 duration with 484 int./0.484 exh. lift
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=DCC%2D4120235&N=700+400172+4294861490+115&autoview=sku
- Pistons...I'm targeting 10:1 or 10.5:1. I've been watching Nacho's 400 piston discussion maybe a set of 440 pistons?
- Balance the rotating assy
- Windage tray
- Stock Cast Iron Hi-Po Exhaust manifolds 2 1/2 exhaust with H-pipe
- Stock Cast Iron intake...I'd be willing to go with an aluminium one but would it really make that big a difference?
- Carb ...Open to suggestions here. I have an '76 400 in car now with an Edelbrok 600 on it, I was thinking of using that OR going back to the original Carter, they were like 840 CFM right?
- Everything else is standard - Oil pump, push rods, ect.

So what do you guys think? I'll be back from Korea in April and plan to have engine finished by early June

Thanks
AK

Oh, P.S. Some of you might be thinking " Go Stroker"...not this engine since it's number matching, but that '76 400 in it now will be an ANIMAL,  we'll talk to you guys next year about building THAT one!

firefighter3931

The plan looks good but could use a little tweaking.  ;) The first thing that needs adressing is the pistons....you should really consider a custom slug and target compression at 9.5:1 if you want to run it on pump gas. A 10-10.5:1 compression engine will not run on UL Premium fuel. You won't like that MP 284 cam choice either....too much duration and overlap for a restrictive (manifold) exhaust. The MP resto Magnum cam would be a better choice or a custom engle k56/k58 ground on a 112* lsa....that's the best choice, inmo.  :yesnod:

The factory 4bbl intake is fine for this type of build and a holley 750 vac secondary carb would be ideal.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

AKcharger

Thanks Sir!
I thought 10:1/10.5:1 would have been P/U capable...thanks

the resto cam is that stock "magnum" specs?

Thanks!

firefighter3931

Quote from: AKcharger on December 27, 2006, 04:16:46 PM
Thanks Sir!
I thought 10:1/10.5:1 would have been P/U capable...thanks

the resto cam is that stock "magnum" specs?

Thanks!

AK, with iron heads you need to keep the comp in the 9.5:1 range. Aluminum heads you can get away with more.  :yesnod:

The resto cam is a 268/284 115* lsa grind that works well with ex manifolds and a stock spec rebuild. Easy to tune, smooth idle and makes lots of manifold vacuum for power brakes. Suebear will enjoy driving the car with this cam and we want to keep her happy.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

AKcharger

Excellent!
2 more questions:

1) Hopefully not sounding amateurish...but with the Engle cam will it have a "cam" sound? or is it and the resto about the same?

2) With the carb, is the Holley a better performer over a Carter/Edelbrock? Reason I ask is the little bit of experience I have with carbs is on my Edelbrock performer, seems that jets are easier to swap

The 383 I had built for my '70 came out good but I want this one to be just a "bit " better. Actually I'm sure my 383 would be a LOT better with a proper carb set up and dyno tuning

firefighter3931

Quote from: AKcharger on December 28, 2006, 05:09:37 AM
Excellent!
2 more questions:

1) Hopefully not sounding amateurish...but with the Engle cam will it have a "cam" sound? or is it and the resto about the same?

2) With the carb, is the Holley a better performer over a Carter/Edelbrock? Reason I ask is the little bit of experience I have with carbs is on my Edelbrock performer, seems that jets are easier to swap

The 383 I had built for my '70 came out good but I want this one to be just a "bit " better. Actually I'm sure my 383 would be a LOT better with a proper carb set up and dyno tuning

AK, to answer your questions :

(1) The cam "sound" is a product of it's specifications. Cams with the same duration and lobe seperation will sound identical. The engle grinds are more agressive in terms of valve opening rates and will make more power as compared to the MP cams but they will sound basicly the same. The Engle cams are what would best be described as "wolves in sheep's clothing". Both of these cams will have a slight lope at idle, but nothing radical.  ;)

(2) If you were set on running an OEM style carb, the edelbrock "thunder" series is a better choice than the "performer" series carbs. The AVS (thunder) is superior to the AFB (performer) design and easier to tune. Edelbrock makes a 650cfm thunder series carb that would be ideal for this type of build, inmo.  :yesnod:

Ron

AKcharger