News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ENGINE IN FROM UNDERNEATH 70 R/T LOTSA PICS

Started by Charger-Bodie, December 23, 2006, 04:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

Wow, very slick.  I'll have to look into that when I get to that piont.  Everything will be done by the time mine gets out of the body shop.

69fuchs

Quote from: bull on December 25, 2006, 02:02:08 PM
Quote from: 69fuchs on December 24, 2006, 05:49:38 PM
them there iowans do everything backwords!!!!  who puts an engine in from the bottom anyways??? :P 

The factory.

NO WAY!!!  U GOTTA BE KIDDN ME!!!!   And all this time I thought it was Iowans.  I guess the factory did things backwords too.   :image_294343:

hemi68charger

Man, bad luck on the pics......... Thanks for sharing.... I'll be doing that with my '68.......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 25, 2006, 08:55:25 PM
Man, bad luck on the pics......... Thanks for sharing.... I'll be doing that with my '68.......

Troy

just to let you know you have to have the valve covers off on hemis to put them in from underneath
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

AKcharger

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: AKcharger on December 25, 2006, 09:09:45 PM
Did you encounter any snags or problems?

no we didnt but this is the 18th one weve done this way!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Khyron

hehe I love seeing engines go in from the bottom, That picture makes my day :2thumbs:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

AKcharger

Well that's what I plan to do on rebuilt #2 in a few years....Hey I ws thinking, I bet it's easy to adjust the hood alignment...you can get to the bolts from inside without the engine right?

bull

Quote from: 69fuchs on December 25, 2006, 07:51:54 PM
them there iowans do everything backwords!!!!  who puts an engine in from the bottom anyways??? :P 

The factory.

I guess the factory did things backwords too.   :image_294343:

Nope, it's you. Everything else looks backwards when you're the only one doing things backwards. ;)

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Khyron on December 25, 2006, 10:33:54 PM
hehe I love seeing engines go in from the bottom, That picture makes my day :2thumbs:

yea thats my cousin he is my partner in the shop ....as you can tell he was pretty happy to be in the picture :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_evil: :icon_smile_evil:

tan top

that  69 HEMI  charger   , is that a genuine J code  :scope: ?  looks good   :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: tan top on December 26, 2006, 08:44:43 AM
that  69 HEMI  charger   , is that a genuine J code  :scope: ?  looks good   :yesnod:

its the real deal and completely numbers matching ta boot .....too bad it was a customer car and not mine

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1hot68 on December 26, 2006, 09:08:23 AM

its the real deal and completely numbers matching ta boot .....too bad it was a customer car and not mine

Damn,,, a B5 4-speed '69 Hemi Charger R/T.. My dream car other than a Daytona.........  Yes, even my turquoise hemi '68.....   ;D

Larry,,, Thanks for the tidbit....... I would have put them on.. Sooooooooo, I guess it'll be the engine, then the valve covers, THEN the power brake booster assembly... Did you have the offset bracket on first, then install the actual booster after you have the motor/k-member bolted in?

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemi68charger

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on December 26, 2006, 08:48:14 AM
Quote from: AKcharger on December 25, 2006, 11:42:54 PM
Hey I ws thinking, I bet it's easy to adjust the hood alignment...you can get to the bolts from inside without the engine right?

You can even fit a wheelchair in the fenderwells, that is if you need something to sit on.  ;D

Wow, it's like a Jack-in-the-box..... But in this case,  a Mike-in-the-box.......  ;D
Troy

69fuchs

Quote from: bull on December 26, 2006, 02:33:32 AM
Quote from: 69fuchs on December 25, 2006, 07:51:54 PM

The factory.

I guess the factory did things backwords too.   :image_294343:

Nope, it's you. Everything else looks backwards when you're the only one doing things backwards. ;)

Ok, Now I feel left out.  Brian, will you lend me your factory so that I can put my engine in the correct way pleeeeaaaaassssseeeee?  I just don't understand I guess.

I did change a bent K frame without removing the engine once, does that count????

Challenger340

Only wimps wear Bowties !

tan top

Quote from: 1hot68 on December 26, 2006, 09:08:23 AM

thanks for the info  :yesnod:  appreciated :thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

472 R/T SE

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 26, 2006, 01:04:58 PM

Larry,,, Thanks for the tidbit....... I would have put them on.. Sooooooooo, I guess it'll be the engine, then the valve covers, THEN the power brake booster assembly... Did you have the offset bracket on first, then install the actual booster after you have the motor/k-member bolted in?

Troy

Troy, we had the booster installed complete with cylinder hooked up and only one valve cover pulled. 
Everything that you can bolt up, do it.  I can't think of anything we didn't already have mounted.  Even the fan shroud laid on top of the fan cluth prior to assembly.  Hoses all hooked up as well.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on December 27, 2006, 11:58:11 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on December 26, 2006, 01:04:58 PM

Troy

Troy, we had the booster installed complete with cylinder hooked up and only one valve cover pulled. 
Everything that you can bolt up, do it.  I can't think of anything we didn't already have mounted.  Even the fan shroud laid on top of the fan cluth prior to assembly.

thats how we usually do it also and on the hemi car it was pretty much that way with the exception of both valve covers being of just didnt want to risk scrating anything the 70 is about the least complete one weve ever installed but hes waitin for a few things and wanted to get it out of tha way in the shop so in it went by rhe way guys the 70 r/t is for sale when it gets done

hemi68charger

OK guys......  Now, if I have the driver's side valve cover off and the booster and master cylinder are installed already, how do I install the driver's side cover once everything is positioned and bolted in? If memory serves me, there's no way to remove the driver's valve cover with the brake system positioned...... Or, is there room?
Troy

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 28, 2006, 09:03:47 AM
OK guys......  Now, if I have the driver's side valve cover off and the booster and master cylinder are installed already, how do I install the driver's side cover once everything is positioned and bolted in? If memory serves me, there's no way to remove the driver's valve cover with the brake system positioned...... Or, is there room?

its tricky but if you move it just right it goes right on no scratches or anything the only thing in question is that i cant remember if the master cyl. was on or if we were still waiating for it to come ack from rebuilding but i do know that all the booster stuff was in place

Dodge Don

My question is on the steering column. You install this after the engine/front end assembly is installed right?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Dodge Don on December 28, 2006, 10:22:17 AM
My question is on the steering column. You install this after the engine/front end assembly is installed right?

CORRECT IT GOES IN AFTER

Dodge Don

Quote from: 1hot68 on December 28, 2006, 11:32:06 AM

CORRECT IT GOES IN AFTER

I pulled my column after I had yanked the engine from above, however I'm planning to drop the car onto the engine/tranny/front end/head pipes assembly like you did. Any tricks to getting at/installing the column pin after the assembly is in?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Dodge Don on December 28, 2006, 11:46:53 AM
Quote from: 1hot68 on December 28, 2006, 11:32:06 AM

CORRECT IT GOES IN AFTER

I pulled my column after I had yanked the engine from above, however I'm planning to drop the car onto the engine/tranny/front end/head pipes assembly like you did. Any tricks to getting at/installing the column pin after the assembly is in?

we tak a phillips screw that fits thru the center of the pin and drive it in with a long screw driver and a hammer , have someone hold the steering wheel so it doesnt try to turn ...... by the way there is a notch on the coupler to guide you to the double space on the splines to line it up right