News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much is my '66 Charger/318 really worth?

Started by AJ1966, December 22, 2006, 01:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ1966

I wanted to see how much my car is really worth.  It's been in the family for a long time, but with the lack of parts, and the PRICE of parts for this car, I've been getting really let down, and I'll admit, I'm very impatient when it comes to having a car.  I'm young, and I really can't wait to get things done on my car, so I am considering selling it.  My father abandoned the project as well for the same reasons of parts availability/price.

It's a 318/904 car.  The quarters are great, the paint is great (was repainted a different type of red 20 yrs ago), and the only real rust is one piece on the subframe (where the passenger torsion bar connects to the subframe, there is a fist size hole, but I believe it can be repaired).  The rest of the undercarriage is fine.  It is actually a solid car, but needs all mechanical work.  It runs fine now, but everything is basically stock/OEM.  There is too much to really list.  However, it is turnkey as is, and I've taken it on plenty of trips. 

Interior is solid, but the front seats need reupholstering.  The dash pad is also cracked.  It is in good shape besides those issues.

I purchased new seat covers and foam from year one, and I have a rebuilt 383/727 waiting for me on the side.  I also have the original hubcaps.   All trim pieces are there, and a few are slightly damaged, but solid overall.  The rear bumper is a little rusted, but the front one is solid (it may be a 67 bumper)

Here are some pictures that show the details of the car.

I've had plenty of people approach me on the car, but I really don't know what to ask for it......I may try to let go of the car in the spring, but I am still debating.  Thanks for your input.  :'(

whitehatspecial

Quote from: AJ1966 on December 22, 2006, 01:47:04 PM
I wanted to see how much my car is really worth.  It's been in the family for a long time, but with the lack of parts, and the PRICE of parts for this car, I've been getting really let down, and I'll admit, I'm very impatient when it comes to having a car.  I'm young, and I really can't wait to get things done on my car, so I am considering selling it.  My father abandoned the project as well for the same reasons of parts availability/price.

I've had plenty of people approach me on the car, but I really don't know what to ask for it......I may try to let go of the car in the spring, but I am still debating.  Thanks for your input.  :'(

Well I don't know what your car is worth, but I'd like to give you some advice. About 24 years ago I was left a 1968 Charger when my mother passed away. I was in my 20's at the time and didn't have any money to speak of. The car had low mileage but needed work from the salt on the CT highways in the wintertime. I came very close to selling the car for a couple of thousand dollars because I couldn't see myself doing anything with it.
Something in my head said "don't sell" and a couple of years later I saved enough money to have the body work done and the car painted. It wasn't a show quality job but the car looked great and the rust was gone. There was some other things that needed to be done, but they would have to wait.
I got married several years after that and we went on to raise 3 boys. Time was at a premium and so was money. The car was way down on the list of "to do" lists. Unfortunately I didn't have any time to work on the car much less drive it and it sat. I considered selling again about 10 years ago because I hated to see the car just sitting (I did have it in a garage). Something said "don't sell" and I listened.
Last year about this time I started working on the car. New engine, rebuilt trans., brakes, exhaust, etc. was installed. The car is now on the road again and finally have the time to enjoy it along with the money to buy the things I put off all of those years.
Am I glad I never sold? You betcha. One day it will come together for you, in the mean time your car is a great car and if you really love it, keep it.  Heck dive it and enjoy it the way it is, it doesn't have to be perfect.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.