News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Towing a '68 R/T

Started by Zentelis, August 31, 2005, 10:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DC_1

Quote from: Wakko on September 02, 2005, 01:01:25 PM
Good information here. I actually had these questions already. Do you think a late 70s Dodge sedan with a 318 2 bbl would be a sturdy enough tow vehicle for a Charger?

Towing it should be fine. Its stopping it that is the problem! Make sure the trailer has some kinda breaking system.Surge brakes or something Also, like I said before, 10-15% tongue weight. 3000 lb car = 300-350 lbs tongue wt. I have towed alot of boats in my day and have had to adjust many trailer bunks to get the wt right so the trailer would tow properly.

Wakko

Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

DC_1

Sorry Wakko ....trailer bunks are what the boat sits on. You don't need to worry about that I was just using that example to illustrate how you need to adjust the weight to get it to pull properly. With a car you would mover it forward or back on the trailer to shift the weight. Since I am sure you won't have a scale to measure the weight a rough way to check it would be to try and pick up the tongue. At 300 or so pounds it shouldn't be able to by yourself. With someone else also trying to lift you shoud be able to move it. Don't hurt your back or blow a ball trying to lift it but it is a good rough way to make sure you have tongue wt.

Maybe others have other ideas but this always works for me.

Steve P.

I don't know if they are any wider than the 10 year old model is BUT,,, I tried to put a 65' Coronet 4-door on one and it was TOOOOO tight.. I didn't trust bouncing.

Roll Back usually means ZERO DAMAGE..........
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

69charger2002

U-haul trailers suck. after towing about 10 of them, both backwards and forwards. i bought my own 18 ft car hauler. if you are ok with going 60, it will be fine, if you go over 60mph with one, the fishtail story is VERY true. it is unreal how unstable they can become. when they put 45 mph max on the side.. they MEAN IT.   i am not saying the trailers are junk, they are small, but do their intended job. but man make it a last resort. and for a normal tow dolly.. hang it up. wouldn't even be an option for me
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/