News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 a block for 273 swap?

Started by ITSA426, December 16, 2006, 02:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITSA426

I've got a 318 a block engine I'm considering dropping into a Coronet that has a 273 three speed.  Anyone know if the bellhousing and clutch will bolt to the 318?

Chryco Psycho

depnds what size the clutch is , if it is a 10.5 " it will bolt up , if it has the smaller 10" the bel would bolt on But I wouldn`t recommend using it

ITSA426

Why not?  The power diff doesn't seem to be much.  Do the bell housing,  flywheel, and linkage all interchange?  I'm not doing it to improve performance but because I've got an abundance of parts around to use up.  I'd like to know if it all fits before I get everything apart.  Thanks,

Chryco Psycho

yes it fits
I have seen 273s tear up 10" factory clutches

Charger1973

My 1st Charger was a 318 3 on the tree.  Somewhere along the lines someone installed a 360 in it, which is how it was when I got it.  The 360 needed work so I pulled the 273 from my 68 Coronet parts car and dropped in it.  Bolted right up fine and I drove the hell out of it with that 273 in there.  I later took off the 1 bbl carb and added an aluminum intake and 4 bbl carb and that thing was a torque monster.  I could burn the tires off for blocks but it was slow as hell.  Anyways hope that helps some. 

ITSA426

Thanks for this info.  Now I got some ideas.  Next question  - Does the 383 10 and a half inch flywheel fit the 318 poly crank?  That would let me upgrade the clutch.  Will the fourspeed bellhousing fit the 318 A block if I want to fourspeed this thing.  I've got all the pieces just want to know before I get it all apart.  Thanks

Chryco Psycho

not sure ont he bolt pattern for the Poly crank