News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what tranny

Started by mally69, December 14, 2006, 10:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mally69

currently building a 512 stroker thats going into a 69 charger   i already have a  68 727   but i was considering a 18 spline 833 4-speed

which would be able to handle the most abuse of the  2     

TylerCharger69

My guess the A-833 4-speed....Unless you upgrade that 727  assuming you are speaking of factory stock

mally69

well i could up grade it but would upgrading make that much of a difference ???

Ghoste

It depends on what you want to fix.  You can upgrade the auto but that costs money.  You can put the 833 in there but then you get to replace the clutch and u-joints more often.  You'll probably also want to install a driveshaft loop and frame connectors with manual.
And, the four speed itself can be broken as well, not to mention what a missed shift can do to your stroker.  It is more fun though.  :icon_smile_big:

471_Magnum

You're comparing apples and oranges. Do you want a stick or an automatic? Either can be prepped to handle the 512.

As Ghoste states, the shock loads associated with the stick generally results in more frequent maintainance and repairs. Selecting the right clutch for that application will be critical. If you use sticky tires, put a Dana 60 in the budget.

The automatic is pretty much a no brainer: reinforce appropriately, select the right converter, then forget about it.

That said, sticks kick ass.

"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."