News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

You refer to 2wd car as a ...

Started by Silver R/T, December 09, 2006, 01:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

most commonly known as a..

RWD (rear wheel drive) car
16 (100%)
FWD (front wheel drive) car
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Brock Samson

what's up fella?.. i don't see a question mark...
o.k... so your point is.... ?    :P

have a nice weekend everybody...

Troy

Uh, 2 wheel drive. That means only two wheels are powered - it doesn't matter which ones. That's why they came up with the terms "front wheel drive" and "rear wheel drive" so people wouldn't have to guess which end the power was going to.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Troy on December 09, 2006, 11:33:23 AM
Uh, 2 wheel drive. That means only two wheels are powered - it doesn't matter which ones. That's why they came up with the terms "front wheel drive" and "rear wheel drive" so people wouldn't have to guess which end the power was going to.

Troy

Yup! I agree!   

But on the other hand   is 4 wheel drive really rear wheel drive with front wheel drive added   and is AWD All Wheel drive really a front wheel drive vehicle with rear wheel drive added?!   :laugh:

Todd

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

terrible one

So Silver, did you make this to bust me out from this thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21411.0.html

Sounds like I win! Thanks for making an ass of yourself.  :icon_smile_big:

Silver R/T

actually you do not win. 2WD is RWD. Pretty much nobody refers to FWD as 2WD. Some of the FWD cars are true 2WD LSD cars....so even if you were to say all FWD cars are 2WD cars, you wouldnt be correct :) As most of the FWD cars are actually 1WD cars then ;)

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

terrible one

So you are telling me that I have a 1WD Charger? And are you disagreeing with everyone else who has posted in this topic thus far?

Silver R/T

depends if you've got sure grip or not then its really a 1wd charger :) just joking with you, while there's truth to that.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

andy74

Quote from: terrible one on December 09, 2006, 12:45:49 PM
So Silver, did you make this to bust me out from this thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21411.0.html

what does silver do best?make an ass of himself! what do i win?

Silver R/T

Quote from: andy74 on December 09, 2006, 01:04:12 PM
Quote from: terrible one on December 09, 2006, 12:45:49 PM

what does silver do best?make an ass of himself! what do i win?

sorry, idiots not need to reply.
if you're so smart answer above question Dick cheney

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

If you're talking about trucks I would agree that 2WD means RWD but not necessarily when talking about cars. If you didn't want opinions that disagreed with you then why'd you bother starting the thread?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Shakey

Said in the voice of Vinne Babarino from Welcome Back Kotter:

With a stupid grin on face:

"Who" - pause - "What" - pause - "Where"...

Silver R/T

Quote from: Troy on December 09, 2006, 03:30:09 PM
If you're talking about trucks I would agree that 2WD means RWD but not necessarily when talking about cars. If you didn't want opinions that disagreed with you then why'd you bother starting the thread?

Troy
agree, but what about my previous question...most FWD cars are 1WD cars pretty much, right? Which pretty much cant be 2WD car then. lol

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bull

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 09, 2006, 12:49:57 PM
actually you do not win. 2WD is RWD. Pretty much nobody refers to FWD as 2WD. Some of the FWD cars are true 2WD LSD cars....so even if you were to say all FWD cars are 2WD cars, you wouldnt be correct :) As most of the FWD cars are actually 1WD cars then ;)

Most RWD drive cars are driven by one wheel too. Nobody refers to FWD as 2WD because it's quite obvious that FWD is 2WD. It's also quite obvious that RWD is 2WD; the only reason anyone says FWD or RWD at all is to clarify which end of the car has the drive axles so if someone wants to know where the chains go, where the spinning might take place, how to react in a corner or how to tow the thing without screwing it up they can ask and find out. I don't refer to my '68 Charger as a RWD car because anyone who knows three syllables worth of facts about cars knows that American cars built in the '60s and '70s were primarily RWD cars, and the only time you would state otherwise would to be to point out something unusual like, "Hey, did you know my 1971 Oldsmobile Toronado is front wheel drive?" "Wow! No I didn't know that. That is unusual. I'm glad you pointed that out by using the term 'front wheel drive' rather than 'two wheel drive' because otherwise it might be confusing had I needed to tow your Oldsmobile Toronado or put snow chains on it." During the late '80s and '90s the acronyms FWD and RWD became more popular because the advent of FWD cars became very popular. Therefore knowing where the drive axles were was much more important yet more ambiguous than it was back in the '60s and '70s and required even better communication between people and/or more responsibility on the part of the mechanics and tow truck drivers. "Say mister, would you tow my car to the shop?" "No problem! Is it rear wheel drive or front wheel drive? I can plainly see it is not four wheel drive or all wheel drive but I'm not sure. Maybe I could bend down and have a look myself and figure it out."

moparguy01

there is 4 wheel drive, which is rwd with the front wheels added to the mix, AWD which is wrong wheel drive with the rear added, then RWD or WWD(wrong wheel drive)

ive never heard of anybody try to figure out if a 2wd is front of rear. its both, just not together. stop being stupid. if 2 wheel have power to them, its 2wd.

and if you really want to get picky, have any of you ever had a RWD car that was a 1 legger, then in certain spots when you nail it it leaves 2 tire tracks. try it on a slanted drive when the car is sideways on the slant tilting towards the passenger side mostly.

Todd Wilson

I thought FWD was a truck?    :P

Todd

Shakey

Quote from: Todd Wilson on December 09, 2006, 07:04:33 PM

Todd

You are correct and I heard a couple years back that there was talk about bringing back that name brand!   :yesnod:

bull

Quote from: Todd Wilson on December 09, 2006, 07:04:33 PM

Todd

No, no! That's 4WD or 4X4. 'F' is for front, not four. :icon_smile_blackeye: :icon_smile_big:

Steve P.

Silver, in this case FWD, ( combined with you asking the question ), stands for : FLIRTING WITH DISASTER. :icon_smile_big:

FWD = Front Wheel Drive

4WD = Four Wheel Drive

AWD = All Wheel Drive

RWD = Rear Wheel Drive

2wd = is normally in reference to pick up trucks and SUV's

SUV = Screwed Up Van

MAV = Military All Terrain Vehicle

FORD = F___ Off Rooster Dick

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Well in the case of my pickup, just for arguments sake it's a 2wd.  It's obviously RWD so that means it's actually 4wd.  Now in reality it is 4wd so when I kick that system in it becomes a 6wd and AWD. 

When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: 253862656971 on December 10, 2006, 02:31:36 PM
Well in the case of my pickup, just for arguments sake it's a 2wd.  It's obviously RWD so that means it's actually 4wd.  Now in reality it is 4wd so when I kick that system in it becomes a 6wd and AWD. 

Does it have a posi traction locker?

Todd

Silver R/T

Well in the case of my pickup, just for arguments sake it's a 2wd. It's obviously RWD so that means it's actually 4wd. Now in reality it is 4wd so when I kick that system in it becomes a 6wd and AWD.

Is it dual axle in the back?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bull

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 10, 2006, 03:06:10 PM
Well in the case of my pickup, just for arguments sake it's a 2wd. It's obviously RWD so that means it's actually 4wd. Now in reality it is 4wd so when I kick that system in it becomes a 6wd and AWD.

Is it dual axle in the back?

Probably a dually. So is a 2WD dually actually a 4WD since there are four wheels on the rear axle? Also, I've seen people use the term 4X2 on pickups to say 2WD/RWD. I've also seen people use 2X4 but that makes me think of lumber (which is also misleading because they are actually 1 1/2" X 3 1/2").

Silver R/T

guy around here is selling 85 ford F250 for sale in a couple weeks! It has a 351 with an edelbrock intake and carb, 4 speed, 4wd works great! 4:10 gears posi front and rear, 2 inch suspension lift lift with 33 inch tires, very sound and solid truck
Says its posi all 4 wheels so this would be a true 4WD truck

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722