News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Towing 2WD car

Started by Silver R/T, December 04, 2006, 09:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

How would you tow a 2WD car, would you pick it up from front end or rear end (do you want front wheels on the ground or back wheels on the ground) Would towing it by the front wheels (rear wheels on the ground) damage anything?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

RWD or a.k.a. 2wheel drive

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

terrible one

A.K.A. my ass. 2-wheel drive means two wheels propel the car, which can also be true when a vehicle is front wheel drive.

Even so, you can't tow a RWD car by the front wheels unless you disconnect and take out the driveshaft. And if you pulled it by the rear wheels such as on a tow dolley then I guess maybe with a column lock you could keep the front wheels locked straight but I don't know about that.

Silver R/T

Quote from: terrible one on December 04, 2006, 10:08:02 PM
A.K.A. my ass. 2-wheel drive means two wheels propel the car, which can also be true when a vehicle is front wheel drive.

Even so, you can't tow a RWD car by the front wheels unless you disconnect and take out the driveshaft. And if you pulled it by the rear wheels such as on a tow dolley then I guess maybe with a column lock you could keep the front wheels locked straight but I don't know about that.
what happens if you tow it by the front wheels and just leave trans in neutral

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

derailed

This depends on how far your going. If its any distance more than say 10 or 15 miles you should pull the driveshaft, otherwise your tranny could heat up. What kind of car is it?

Silver R/T

Well this guy at work says that towing company messed up his axle seal cause they towed it. Toyota tacoma truck 2 wheel drive (RWD)

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

derailed

Thats possible, he could have towed it to far and to fast and maybe he had it up to high. If the axle seal was ruined it probably destoryed the bearing to. Did he wipe out the axle or pinion seal? If you have any distance to go with yours you should just put it on a flatbed. Tow trucks are great for recovery but how many cars do see swinging behind them these days.

Steve P.

:icon_bs:  I don't care if you have the axle up side down!!  If the seals ARE bad now, they WERE bad before he towed it. There is NO weight on the seals on any angle. The seals are only lubed by the rear end oil. The oil is picked up by the ring gear and slung and splashed on the axles which are gun honed to carry oil to the bearings and seals.   

Every wrecker company is liable for accidental damage. I can't remember the propper term, BUT,,, the meaning goes something like, (if the opperator hooked the car from the front end and it had no wheels attached to the rear the driver is responsible for tearing up the rear of the vehicle). If the vehicle HAS wheels on it and it LOOKS ready to roll the operator cannot be held responsible..

People will allways try to get something for nothing.. Tell the asshole to take you to court. If they try to go after your insurance, the insurance company will tell them the same thing...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

TylerCharger69

Truth is......you shouldn't tow a vehicle for more than 10 miles or so because it will burn the transmission up.  If the car isn't running,  then the front pump isn't running either.   If you're going a great distance,  pull the driveshaft from the rear end yoke and tie it up somewhere on the undercarriage away from that yoke.  This way....there is nothing working in the tranny to cause failure.   Unless, of course you tow it with the front wheels on the ground...then there are no worries!!

Steve P.

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on December 05, 2006, 07:37:01 PM
Truth is......you shouldn't tow a vehicle for more than 10 miles or so because it will burn the transmission up.  If the car isn't running,  then the front pump isn't running either.   If you're going a great distance,  pull the driveshaft from the rear end yoke and tie it up somewhere on the undercarriage away from that yoke.  This way....there is nothing working in the tranny to cause failure.   Unless, of course you tow it with the front wheels on the ground...then there are no worries!!

:iagree:  BUT the question goes to a customer CLAIMING they ruined an AXLE SEAL by towing the vehicle..

I warn people often about pulling the shaft on rwd vehicles on tow dollies. Some listen, some not. Their loss.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

bull

Did he hire Tow Mater to do the job? It's hard to believe a tow truck driver could screw this up. I rarely see any tow trucks these days that don't use either flatbeds or dollies when they tow.

Chryco Psycho

any axle seal will not be effected , the tranny will turn the main shaft without proper lubrication if the driveshaft is not disconnected & will  damage the trans

Silver R/T

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=21558.0

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

squeakfinder

Plug the output shaft with an old yoke when towing a RWD on a tow dolly. Otherwise, without the driveline installed a trail of tranny fluid is likely to be left on the road. :Twocents:
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Steve P.

I have been known to remove the U-joint caps. Tape, (Electrical), the joint caps and strap the shaft up and pulling forward for tow dolly action..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida