News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Classics 25 yrs from now...

Started by SRT-440, November 22, 2006, 08:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRT-440

I doubt in 1970 that anyone would have guessed a Plymouth Hemi Barracuda convertible would sell for like half a million dollars or more or a Superbird that everyone thought was ugly would be one of the most sought after cars...

What vehicles from today (1985-Now) do you think might have a chance of being the next sought after rare classics or just fun projects 25 years from now?

Here's my list:

PT Cruizer (turbo version fo sho)
03-04 Cobra
New Challenger
Geo Storm  ;)
Escalade
I think there will be a small "collector" of SRT4's
Buick Grand National
LS1 F-bodies
GTO's?
I think Durango's will make a comeback in 25 yrs.
anything with a V-tec  :smilielol:

I also think most of today's cars will be in better shape than the classics now..plastic may last longer in the weather (maybe?)..metal tends to rust out in just a few years..so the cars in junkyards will be in way better condition to restore your project in the future.

If this has already been discussed..sorry..but I'm bored and ready for turkey.  :yesnod: :angel:

:popcrn:

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

Red Ram

I think the 84-88 Buick Grand National, Olds 442/Hurst, Monte Carlo SS/Aerocoupe, Pontiac 2+2. Possibly the SRT4, if any survive the trashing most of them are probably getting as we speak.
"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

SRT-440

I bet 93-98 Supra's will be a good one. Ford Lightnings too.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

41husk

I think Prowlers and Vipers will be hot in 25 years, oh wait those are in demand now ::)
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

BigBlockSam

Quote03-04 Cobra
New Challenger
Geo Storm 
Escalade
I think there will be a small "collector" of SRT4's
Buick Grand National
LS1 F-bodies
GTO's?
I think Durango's will make a comeback in 25 yrs.

I'm sorry to say that none of those cars will be around in 20 yrs. cars now are disposable . there not built to last . sure vipers will be in demand. but will they be classics.  i don't know   ???
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Hemidoug

The SRT-4 in your list.....todays verison of the Hemi Cuda IMAO!!! That little sucker is the BEST all around performance car made by Chrysler to this day! I'll have mine to the day I die..
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

Orange_Crush

Quote from: Hemidoug on November 22, 2006, 12:05:57 PM
The SRT-4 in your list.....todays verison of the Hemi Cuda IMAO!!! That little sucker is the BEST all around performance car made by Chrysler to this day! I'll have mine to the day I die..

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Any of the SRT cars will be classics.

Prowler

The last Craparos and Trans Ams

IMHO, the Crossfire and SRT-6 ewill be classics. 
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

andy74

Orange_Crush

I mentioned it...though not directly (all the SRT cars).
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Rocky

Unless the laws change in California there will be none. :'(

Zentelis

Quote from: Orange_Crush on November 22, 2006, 12:32:01 PM

To some probably, but the fact that it's a rebodied german car will probably disuade the hardcore American car collector.

I'd like to add the Dodge Stealth and 3000GT Spyder to that mix, but they're both Mitsubishis

73chgrSE

The new ford gt's. obviously
Stealths and 3000gt's.
TCI Conquest.
Pontiac Fieros
Supras
The new Roush mustangs

SRT-440

I figured they would be..mainly the srt version..but who knows..like said earlier some think they are all desposable cars but your forgetting young kids (5-15) are watching SRT's, Cobras, Supras, Lightnings..ect..tearing up the streets and drag strips and they look at these cars like we (the 30+ crowd) looked at Super Bees, Chargers, and Road Runners.
Who knows, I've always wanted an 03 Cobra maybe in 2035 I'll find one and restore it.  :pity:

Orange_Crush

Quote from: Zentelis on November 22, 2006, 12:57:24 PM
Quote from: Orange_Crush on November 22, 2006, 12:32:01 PM

To some probably, but the fact that it's a rebodied german car will probably disuade the hardcore American car collector.

I'd like to add the Dodge Stealth and 3000GT Spyder to that mix, but they're both Mitsubishis

Not really such a thing as a "hardcore American Car collector" anymore.  Collectors are either brand-loyal (Tim Wellborn, Steve Juliano), type loyal (Pat McGroder, Ralph Lauren) , or they collect all kinds of cars (Jay Leno).

The Crossfire will have a spot for a couple of reasons.

1.  Relative rarity.

2.  German American hybrid will cross over to appeal to collectors of both.

3.  Not really a desirable car when introduced.

Zentelis

Quote from: Orange_Crush on November 22, 2006, 01:13:14 PM
The Crossfire will have a spot for a couple of reasons.
1.  Relative rarity.
2.  German American hybrid will cross over to appeal to collectors of both.
3.  Not really a desirable car when introduced.

I hope you're right that the Crossfire will be a collector some day..my girlfriend wants one :)

Charger_Fan

This... :icon_smile_tongue:

I'm planning a rotisserie resto on it next summer.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Chargen69

The last vettes with pop up lights will be sought after cars 20 years from now.

BigBlockSam

QuoteI'm planning a rotisserie resto on it next summer 

:smilielol:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

THE CHARGER PUNK

just imagine what a 69 charger's gonna be worth in 25 yrs-MATT

Lowprofile

Any of the SRT Vehicles will be collectable.....some more than others.  :icon_smile_big: My favorite continues to be the SRT-10 Ram. Other cars to look for would be SS Impalas, WS-6 Trans-Am's, Monte Carlo SS's, Any "Pace-Car" Vehicles, SVO Mustangs/Lighting F-150's, "Harley" Edition Pick-Up's. I think in years to come, The Magnum Wagon w/Hemi power will become very desireable to a youth market just looking to get into their first car. Hi Performance Engine, Room for all your friends, [well 4 of them], and lots of potential.

Just my  :Twocents: :blahblah: :D
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Spike

Can't wait for the future cars shows, with comments such as "look it has matching bar codes", "one of two available interiors", that's real plastic, not that fake stuff"!!

79JON

84-87 Buick Grand Nationals and T-Types, especially the the 87's and GNX's.  I really think all Trans Am's will be collectible especially the W-S6 cars. Early 90's Impala SS, SRT Mopars, Roush Mustangs and Cobra's

Mean 318

As much as I hate to say it, I bet all of these civics and other rice burners will be. Kids right now are driving them, "Hod rodding" them, and one day they will want to go back and get the car they used to have. Think about it, thats how muscle cars became so popular. Kids where hot rodding them in High School when they where cheep, and now they want them back. Thats just my theory, I hope all of those rice burners go straight to  :flame:...... ;D

Vainglory, Esq.

The first-year Subaru WRX with the bugeye headlights an no ridiculous rear wing; preferably in Subaru blue.

Chris G.

Quote from: SRT-440 on November 22, 2006, 08:52:21 AM
What vehicles from today (1985-Now) do you think might have a chance of being the next sought after rare classics or just fun projects 25 years from now?

As far as selling for more than it was paid for? That's a tough one for sure. I would say any limited production car that sold for over 75K, might be worth something in the future. Anything else will just be a nice car to have. The Grand National was, and still is a complete bust.

I'm sure there's a few guys who bought a Neon SRT-4 and parked it. They sold for around 20K. Do you guys honestly think that in 25 years they might sell for 100K? I don't know about that.

I think car companies were still just coming of age back in the day. Today I think it's just old news. Will current baseball cards always be worth big dough? How about some dude that owns the first internet capable computer? It just doesn't feel the same to me.  :shruggy: