News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hope to fire it up this weekend

Started by old man, November 20, 2006, 04:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old man

Well as I've posted before I was going to replace motor in my T/A. I pulled out the 340 and set aside for storage. It was worn and getting weak. I was looking for a 360 to replace but I couldn't find to my liking. I happen to call my machine shop and he had a 340 sitting in back room. I was told it was a 73 block and he would build it for me. He shot me a price of $400 for block and steel crank and rods. I had him go ahead with build. I went and put forged pistons ( keith black ) with a 10.5 ratio. We put in a .509 lift cam. He called me last week and told me that he had to do a .060 bore. I was worried about this but he told me it would be no problem so we went ahead. I ordered a new set of 915 heads with double springs and hardened guides. He called me last Friday and motor was ready for pickup. Total for motor was 1950.00 which included all parts and oil pump and gaskets etc. I didn't feel that was too bad but it gets better. When we got it home I ran the numbers and it was a 70 block not a 73. So while I had the motor out  I put a new PSE kit in the frontend. Good thing I did as the drivers lower ball joint was shot. So if everything works out with a new torque convertor being built I could have it installed this weekend. With this setup and a 3000 stall it should be a fun ride. I will keep everyone advised of how we progress. Bad part is now winter is coming so I won't be able to drive it much. So the total cost of new motor and rebuilt suspension and torque convertor will be less than 4 grand. And I will have a date code motor back in car with other sitting. Not a bad deal.
70 Challenger T/A, 66 Charger 440, 73 Duster 340,79 Little Red Express

BB1

Yeah, let us know. Also we need pictures.  ^-^ :scope:
Delete my profile

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

old man

Well I just got an email from Summit and my parts MAY be in Friday. So this weekend may not work. :'( I will get some pictures over thanksgiving and post here. I will go ahead and put on a single 4 barrell Holley till I get motor broke in. Then I will change back to six pack later. It's much easier to tune with a single than the six pack. All my mounts came in yesterday so as soon as new oil pan comes in I can paint and finsh putting together.

41husk

Sounds good we need some pictures of that TA and your new 66 Charger :yesnod:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

old man

The Charger is still at paintshop. The guy painting it is taking his time and I am in no hurry to get it back. He is skimming the body right now in filler and flat boarding it to make sure it is straight. He found a place of about 6 inch round in lower rear quarter that was made of screen and bondo. He cut it out and put in new metal. For the price he is charging me I don't want to rush him. He does this in his sparetime as he works fulltime at another job. For only 2 grand and materials I think he is a bargin. I will have pictures of Challenger up this weekend.

41husk

great, I wish I could have picked up that 66 you were selling it sounded like a great deal.  Look foreward to those pictures.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

old man

Well we had to put our youngest son in hospital on Tuesday and he did not get home till Thursday afternoon. This and my torque convertor not being back yet keep car from being done. I was able to finish front end rebuild and install new heads on motor and paint. I hope to get torque convertor back this week to finish next weekend. Weather this weekend was great 70 degrees and next weekend it will be in the 30s. As usual the best laid plans fell thru.

41husk

1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

old man

Quote from: 41husk on November 27, 2006, 08:43:26 AM
I hope all is well with your son.
Thanks for your wishes. We had to put him back in hospital last night as he was still having trouble breathing. It seems that about every two years he has a bad asthma occurrence. We hope to be able to bring him home either tonight OR tomorrow. The car will have to wait till we get him back on his feet and back in school.

old man

Well it has taken longer than expected. Last weekend we finally dropped motor into car. Have been sick lately and weather has sucked so we cut out after bolting it in. I was told it's going to be near 60 this weekend so we will finish hopefully and fire it up. I mean there is no reason to rush. I want to get it right and I'm not going to drive it until decent weather is here. Attached is a picture of it sitting awaiting to be finishede.

41husk

Thats sweet!  I was in Jefferson City last weekend.  I would have tried to look you up but we were in a wrestling tournament at Helias High School and spent dust to dawn in the gym. 
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

old man

Well things did not go as planned this weekend. While tightening rockerarm assembly the center bolt snapped and broke off. Of course the bolt broke off inside hole and I couldn't get out. So now head has to come back off and go to machine shop. I bought these rebuilt 915 J heads from aerohead racing and I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake. THe heads look great but the threads in places like the sparkplugs had crap in them. I had to work the plugs in and out to clean them. Has anyone else had problems with this company? I'm going to have machine shop chase all the threads in this head while they have it. I'm pissed :flame: but what are you going to do. Just get it fixed and hopefully have it running by new years.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722