News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PROPOSED WING CAR MEETING

Started by daytonalo, November 16, 2006, 08:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonalo

I think we should put together our own wing car convention open to any areo car , clone and orig . We should have one every two years and I nominate RENE FOR PRESIDENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Larry .      your input is welcome

dads_69

Now theres an idea. But what state would it be held in? In two years I hope to hell I'm in Washington state. I could drive anywhere from there.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

PocketThunder

Well the geographic center of the U.S. is in Belle Fourche, South Dakota.   :icon_smile_big:

But if this doesnt look like a good meeting point   :-\  we could meet somewhere else.

If you exclude Hawaii and Alaska, (no offense to you members) the center of the lower 48 is Lebanon, Kansas.

Not sure who this dork is.

How about Lebanon Kansas, we could get all the auto rags to do a cover story on us and national geographic would be there as well!

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BigBlockSam

i decline the nomination, greatfully. but I'm into a gathering

i nominate Dave he knows all that wing car stuff.  :patriot:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

daytonalo

PERFECT, ITS SETTLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MR PRESIDENT ..........................................................................

hotrod98

The downside of Lebanon is the fact that the city is .03 square miles and has a population of 303 people and I'm assuming that they don't have any large hotels or even enough parking lots to hold even a few wing cars. Heartland Park is in Topeka which is south of Lebanon and the most centrally located NHRA track. They were having a large Mopar show there each year but didn't hold one there this year for some reason. Would have been a great place to meet during their show. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Would be nice to have some type of show more centrally located for a change. It's one heck of a long drive for many of us to go to Columbus or Carlisle.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

daytonalo

well welcome back cupcake !!!!! Where have you've been ?

Aero426

We are planning a large meet in the Milwaukee Wisconsin area August 23-26th, 2007.   That's Thursday thru Sunday. It is in conjunction with the ARCA stock car race at the Milwaukee Mile, and the Milwaukee Masterpiece Concours on Lake Michigan.   

Local tour possibilities we are looking at in town are the Harley-Davidson engine plant and Miller Brewing, as well as a couple large Mopar oriented resto shops and dealers.

There i.s also going to be a vintage stock car and driver reunion at the race event.    Sunday parade lap at the track.

Club membership is not required to participate.   

daytonalo

I was thinking we could meet at O.J's house , this way I can back over him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

69_500

I had tried a year ago to set up a meet here in Indianapolis, at the Indianapolis 500 track, but was unsucessful in getting permision to do it there. However I now have a connection at the track and could look into a possible date for 2008 if anyone is interested.

daytonalo

Sounds great , MR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hotrod98

Quote from: daytonalo on November 17, 2006, 10:57:32 AM
well welcome back cupcake !!!!! Where have you've been ?

Seems like we could just join the current wing car meet in St. Louis each September and have a seperate area for clones. All of the hard work is done that way. I've been told that we were more than welcome. Besides, we don't actually have to be a part of the actual wing car club to attend the event, but it would be great to be able to see all of the real cars while showing the clones. The St. Louis show is a very nice show. I try to go every year.

As for me being absent, I was in Vegas for a while attending the drag races and the SEMA show. Met a lot of people that I hadn't met before, Boyd and Jo Coddington, Charlie Hutton (Boyd's Ex painter), A.J. from Overhaulin and the gang from Wrecks to Riches including the guy from MagnumForce that drives the daytona clone. Mentioned the forum to him and he might check in some time.  Since I've been home, I've been concentrating on the new shop for Maniac Musclecars. Decided to just build it on my property since I had 4 acres already. Saved about $150k building it here at home instead of in an Industrial Park. This will free up the space that I needed in one of my other buildings for the fiberglass shop. I've been frustrated about not being able to work on the daytona stuff like I had planned. There just wasn't enough room in either of the other two buildings. This new 40 x 80 shop should help get things going again. I'll use the current shop for storing and working on the race car and to store some of my finished cars and the new shop will be for the resto work.

Larry, the pillar trims look great. Can't wait to build some of my own. 

Charles Addams

daytonalo

Thank you , is the shop insulated? what kind of heat ? radiant in floor ? how much ?Larry

hotrod98

Larry,
Here in the south, we don't need heavy insulation, just basic fiberglass sheeting. As for heat, I plan to use overhead radiant heating. A cold day here would be in the 30's. We get a few colder days than that, but not very many. The building is 40' x 80' and has a 6" concrete foundation with a in-floor exhaust duct for the paint booth, 12' tall sidewalls, three 12' wide x 10' tall insulated overhead doors, one steel walk thru door, gutters and downspouts, insulated, gray 26 gauge roof and sidewalls, two 4' x 8' windows in the offiice area and plumbing for a restroom. I'll finish out the office area myself. A friend of mine will install all of the electrical and lighting. The cost of the building not including the dirt work is $41,000. Since I'm just outside the city limits, I don't need permits. I still have to run the utilities and install a septic tank. I'm going to wait until later to buy a paint booth. I can continue using the booth at the dealership for a while. I plan to coat the floor with a light gray epoxy finish. That should run around $1500. I used it on the other shop and loved it. Makes clean up so easy and really brightens up the whole shop. I'm going to leave the 2 post lift in the old shop and buy a scissor lift for this shop, I think. A scissor lift would be great for working on the lower area of the cars, especially when buffing. I don't place every car that I paint on the rotisserie.
Here's a couple of pics of the old shop which is next to the house.

Charles Addams

hotrod98

Larry,
Here's a better pic showing the current layout of the buildings that I have. The back of my house is in the back ground, the small red builidng on the left has my son's 70 gran coupe sitting in it and will be the fiberglass shop and you can see my old building in front of it right next to the house. We have a lot of landscaping to do. We willl also have a 20' approach pad poured in front of the new shop. So much to do...so little money, time and energy to do it.

Charles Addams

daytonalo

Looks like you have money trees planted somewhere !!!!!!!!!!

hotrod98

I work 7 days a week. I manage the body shop at the dealership, do the restos nights and weekends and buy and sell cars, mostly musclecars.
And, it doesn't hurt that my wife is a chemist. lol

So, what do you think about the winged car meet at St. Louis?

Charles Addams

Hemi_tyme

So, what do you think about the winged car meet at St. Louis?

As always Larry  I'll be there.Just for the fun and all the enjoyment!!!
Ken

BigBlockSam

nice shops! they look almost exactly like my shop here's a picture.  :D

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Aero426

One of the things we would like to do as a club, is to to really push the Milwaukee meet for 2007,   St Louis for 2008 and Talladega for 2009.     St Louis is still going to still happen for 2007 as normal.

hotrod98

Rene, with the price difference in real estate between NJ and Arkansas, you could probably own a very large home and shop here for what your place would bring up there. You can buy a new 3000 sq ft home on one acre for around 250k here. Of course you wouldn't have all of the things here that you have up there like the dragstrip, etc.  It's about 80 miles to the closest decent dragstrip and about 120 miles to Tulsa Raceway Park. We are within a 6 hour drive of 4 major NHRA tracks though.
On the flipside, it's supposed to be in the 70's here on Thanksgiving day.  :icon_smile_big:

Charles Addams

69_500

Doug, I'm definately up for the Milwalkee show in 2007. I'm also in for sure for the 2009 Talladega event.

Now as far as the St. Louis meeting next year, I'm in for that too. Largely in part to the many friends I've made at those shows.

How about Indy in 2010?

Aero426

Quote from: 69_500 on November 20, 2006, 07:43:20 PM
Doug, I'm definately up for the Milwalkee show in 2007. I'm also in for sure for the 2009 Talladega event.

Now as far as the St. Louis meeting next year, I'm in for that too. Largely in part to the many friends I've made at those shows.

How about Indy in 2010?

Indy always is a good show and I wouldn't rule it out.

69_500

Well as far as the major mopar shows go, Indy has been a sore spot the last few years. No attendance at either of the Mopar shows that have been at IRP. Now the 500 track, I don't recall a show being there since about 1982 or 1983.

Ghoste

Wasn't weather a factor at the last couple?