News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3D Charger

Started by garethgeezer, November 16, 2006, 04:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garethgeezer

Hi, you may have seen me post a few questions about '69 Chargers recently, well this is what it was for - I've been working on a 3D model of a Charger and I've finally got to the point where I have an image ready. As you have all been very helpful I thought I would show you what it looks like. I am working on more renders so if it's ok with the moderators I can post images here when they're ready. Hope you like it!

bordin34

That looks awesome!!!!!!!  :o

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Charger74

:o :o  That looks Great. :icon_smile_big:

HITMAN 149

that looks like brock's "BLUE"?!?!?!?!/
i'll take a triple black 68 please!!!!!
looks great...good job!!!!!!!!
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Arthu®

:o awesome you got some talent :o I wish i could do that.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

69chargerboy

Wow, very impressive! Very talented, could you make the same picture but make the paint silver and interior black??? Take Care.
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

Skued

That's really cool :o!! 
OK, when can I expect a '70?  Just joking!
Still picking my jaw off the floor :drool5:

Steve
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Shakey

Quote from: garethgeezer on November 16, 2006, 04:17:52 PM
I've been working on a 3D model of a Charger and I've finally got to the point where I have an image ready.

Strictly out of curiousity - why?

Looks good BTW!

plum500

Awesome. Just awesome.

The detail and completeness is beyond any 3d model of a Charger I've seen before. :2thumbs:

BrianShaughnessy

Best 3d I've seen so far.    I still have no clue what to use them for.   The last one I remember "advertised" (  ::)  )on this site was far too slab sided.   I like how the body line is still present.   

I got no idea what shade of blue that is tho.   Try black with Cragars  ;D
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Brock Samson

does look abit like mine,.. nice!

Manfred318

Holy Crap :o Thats just awsome :yesnod: Beautiful :2thumbs:

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

Zentelis

Very impressive!
Maya? 3DS? Lightwave?
I dabble in 3D and can only imagine how much work all that detail was!

THE CHARGER PUNK

Thats a sweet rendering u have there of the 69 charger and an awesome color combo with the purply blue with tan interior-MATT

Drache

Hope you dont mind... This is what happens with a lack of sleep, alcohol, plain old boredom and playing with features on a graphics program you don't know how to use....  :rotz:

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

MoparManJim

man that looks fricking great!! you did one heck of a job on that thing! what kind of program did you use?

BrianShaughnessy

The black one is hot Drache!    Can you photoshop in a pic of your hot sister with it too?  :yesnod:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

garethgeezer

Wow! Thanks for all the kind comments guys, did'nt expect so many replies so soon!
I answer to some of your questions: The model is done using 3d Studio Max software. I work in 3D for my job, I do architectural images and animations but in my spare time I try to improve my skills by modelling cars. Two of us at work spend most of our spare time doing this for fun but at the same time it really helps with the quality of stuff that we do at work. I've done several cars before this one, all different sorts, standard, pro-streets, concepts etc etc. I love Chargers so I thought I'd model a '69. I didn't expect it to take so long but the more photos I found, the more detail I kept adding until I decided I wanted it as accurate as possible. I started working on this one last November, so it has taken me a year on and off to get this far. I have modelled pretty much everything - the interior is all there, the engine bay is all done and the suspension is modelled too.
The images take a long time to render but I hope to do open hood/door/trunk shots soon.
The colour is just the first colour I threw at it, I wasn't trying to replicate a factory colour. My next task is to try different paint so the silver & black interior version will happen along with every other combination I can think. I am also doing 'the orange version' that we all know and love, it's nearly done just need to model the BFG's then it's ready for rendering.
Not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it, I did think of maybe selling hi-res images of it but I don't know, it's just a hobby really. I'd really like to have been building a real one to be honest, but here in the UK there are not many around and I can't afford one anyway. I did get to have a look over a dark green one at the 'Wheels Day' show this year, so thanks to the owner if he's reading this as I took loads of photos that helped a lot.
Thanks again for those of you that answered my questions and thanks to all of you for your comments.
Drache, I love what you've done with my image and I'm flattered that you spent time on it. The black and white version is now my wallpaper!

Drache

Couple more.... In black and black with stripe delete....

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

FastbackJon

Wow that is really nice!

Seems like the day has come when you could put a car inside of a chamber and have a bunch of scanning lasers go over it and it would just build the model from what the lasers read inside the computer. I can't imagine doing something like that by creating a bunch of triangles one at a time.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

Brock Samson

it great but my only criticisum is that there's a subtle fold at the back of the front bumper... i know from  washing it..  :yesnod:
that's the only thing i can see... that's not perfect..

Zentelis

Quote from: FastbackJon on November 17, 2006, 07:38:03 PM
Wow that is really nice!

Seems like the day has come when you could put a car inside of a chamber and have a bunch of scanning lasers go over it and it would just build the model from what the lasers read inside the computer. I can't imagine doing something like that by creating a bunch of triangles one at a time.

It's funny you mention that..I was always fascinated by laser modelling, but could never afford that kind of hardware. So for my Masters Thesis in Computer Science, I'm proposing an algorithm to generate a 3D model from a single 2D photo with reference points or multiple 2D photos with no references.
It's nothing ground-breaking, but it should be pretty fun :D

Dale The Bold

If I had seen just the image with no explanation, I would have assumed it was a photograph of a model car.
Matt. 14:8 (KJV) "And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, 'give me here John Baptist's head in a Charger.'"

BigBlockSam

looks like you could touch it. cool
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

garethgeezer

Just finished this new view, triple-black 'stripe deleted'. Thought you might like to see it :)