News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8-1/4" posi install question

Started by busteed, November 08, 2006, 10:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busteed

I am currently installing a new 8-1/4 Dana Spicer posi unit and 4.56 gears into my rear end.  I ran across a small problem.  When I was in the process of putting on my C-clips to my axles, I tried to move the crosspin out of the way to attach the c-clips.  When I slide the cross pin out of the way, it hits the ring gear and wont allow enough room to put the C-clips back on.  What do I do to resolve this problem? 
                                                      ???

Dodge69_440

I tried to install an auburn posi unit in my 8.25 and could not get it to fit.  It bolted up but the bearings that came with the install kit did not fit.  When I called auburn and paw neither could give me the right part number for the installation kit.  Don't know about your problem busteed, but has anyone installed a posi unit in a 8.25 that fit? 

busteed

I just went through that problem recently also.  There is a easy fix for the bearings being oversize that most companies don't even know about.  The carrier bearings for the posi unit come in two different sizes.  I assume that your 8-1/4 housing is a 75 or older?  These years take smaller carrier beaings, that by the way, don't come with these install kits that you buy.  75 and newer come with different size carrier bearings (bigger) that do not fit on pre 75 housings.  The pinion bearings will work for all years.   I can get you the serial # for the correct bearing size on your applicationif you need, or call Randy's Ring and Pinion to get this info, I did it when  I was stumped with this!  these guys are great and know their stuff.

Dodge69_440

wow man thanks a lot, my mechanic just about killed me when the bearings didn't fit.  Not sure if the rear end is 75 or later, but will check the numbers.  Good luck with your problem as well.

Todd Wilson

Didnt know you could get a 4.56 sure grip gear for a 8 1/4 rear end!

Todd