News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake Pedal Rebuild

Started by DFXXX, November 01, 2006, 09:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DFXXX

Has anyone rebuilt the brake pedal pivot(s)?  If so, did you replace the small plastic bushings?  Where did you get them?

Thanks!

B5 Charger

As a matter of fact I am rebuilding mine right now.  I am not replacing the plastic bushings because mine have little to no wear.  You can get them new from Mr. G's fasteners.  They are $1.25 each if you need them.  Below is a pic of my pedal before I started on it Saturday.

B5 Charger

Here are all the parts after refinishing.  I stripped everything using a bench top bead blasting cabinet.  Then all the steel parts were powder coated in stamped steel.  I masked off and painted the lower portion of the brake pedal black.  I used Eastwood's metal blackening system to refinish all the hardware.  Reassembly starts tomorrow.   :boogie:

DFXXX

Wow, that looks great.

I am going to buy some new bushings just because I told myself that if I take something apart, I will replace what I can with new.

An expensive proposition, except in this case.

B5 Charger

Well here is some pictures of the finished product.  Overall I am pleased with the results.   :icon_smile_cool:

Back N Black

Dentbusters

More info on the powder coat please. I'm just starting to rebuild pieces of the charger. I have a local factory that powder coats for me. Only thing is i have to supply the colors that they don't stock.
I haven't got around to getting the color need to match bare steel.
What is the product you used? It appears to match bare metal color great.  Do you think it matches well.

B5 Charger

I get me powder from Eastwood which is where I got my equipment too.  The color is called stamped steel.  Here is a link:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=12&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=844&iSubCat=847&iProductID=12

69fourspd

Wow, That looks great B5! Hope mine turns out as good. 

MadScientist

How big of a PITA is the blackening?

MS

MadScientist

I just remember seeing a kit that used an electroplating technique.  Looked a bit complicated, thats all.

B5 Charger

It's pretty easy to blacken the hardware.  It's one of the best products I have bought from eastwood.  Just strip your parts to bare metal, suspend them by wires, stir them around in the blackening solution for a few seconds, stir them around and let them hang in the sealant for a few minutes, remove and hang to dry.  The sealant is kind of an oily stuff and you will have to wipe off the excess even after they dry.  The worst part about the whole process is stripping the parts to bare metal.  I strip them by hand in my bead blasting cabinet which is very time consuming.  There's no electroplating involved in the blackening process.  That is for their tin-zinc plating kit which I have but haven't tried out yet.  Here's a link to the blackening kit:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=12225&itemType=PRODUCT

Shakey

Quote from: B5 Charger on November 13, 2006, 01:52:21 PM
The worst part about the whole process is stripping the parts to bare metal.  I strip them by hand in my bead blasting cabinet which is very time consuming.  Here's a link to the kit:

I use the wire wheel.  Just get a good grip on them and wear safety glasses in case one gets away from you.

MadScientist

Sounds good.  I'll look into it!

MS

Dentbusters

Do you think or have you experienced how well it will hold up. I'm ready to start the wonderful process of restoring bolts and parts. I'm needing to figure out what parts go to what colors and so forth. What products to use to obtain the finishes and/ or sending them to a plating company or what?

Comments, advice and opinions are great here!

Travis

B5 Charger

Well, it's just a coating.  If you don't seal the blackening it will instantly rust.  I haven't exposed anything to the elements so I don't know how weather will effect the coating.  I know that it will scratch away if you get too rough with it just like any other coating (zinc, chrome, paint, etc.).  For the money I think it works well and I am pleased with the results but that's just me.  I may have to start a new thread explaining the whole blackening process.  Maybe I can include a torture test too.  Nothing like a Missouri winter to torture steel.   ;D