News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how do i test pick up

Started by mogpar, October 29, 2006, 08:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogpar

how do you test the pice up in a electronic distributor i did a continuity check and i thought it would be like a switch but it is all ways on   any help nouthing in my books  still cant git spark out of distributor but iam getting out of coil    any help would be great   

Plumcrazy

If you're getting spark out of the coil the pickup is good.  Is it a good bluish white spark?
Did you try replacing the cap and rotor?  Sometimes they will get small cracks that are almost impossible to see.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

resq302

The pick up inside the distributor should make continuity when it lines up with the cog/sprocket point.  If I remember correctly, there should be something like a .008 gap.  Make sure you use a BRASS feeler gauge as a metal one will immediately ruin the pick up and or sprocket as it would magetize both of them.  Only one is supposed to be magnetized.  I learned this the hardway.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Plumcrazy

Quote from: resq302 on October 29, 2006, 10:22:35 AM
The pick up inside the distributor should make continuity when it lines up with the cog/sprocket point. 

Not true.  The pickup is nothing more than a wire wound around a magnet.  It actually generates a small electrical current.
I can't remember the exact spec but I think there should be somewhere around 700 ohms resistance through the coil.  It makes no difference if the pickup is in the car or not.

Chryco Psycho

if you have continuity with an Ohm meter it is ok , you should see a pulse as the shaft is turned as well
what is the problem you are having ?

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Plumcrazy on October 29, 2006, 03:04:25 PMThe pickup is nothing more than a wire wound around a magnet.  It actually generates a small electrical current.

Yep. Pass any type of ferrous metal close to the pickup and it will start to generate a voltage, the voltage will be highest when the metal is closest to the exposed pickup. The voltage will be only a few (5-8) millivolts.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Plumcrazy

The spec for the pickup coil is 150 to 900 ohms resistance.

Nacho-RT74

:iagree:

mine, and all I have tested since new are around 290 Ohms
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html