News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

THE BUMPER BOYS

Started by Steve P., October 21, 2006, 12:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve P.

I lost the business card they gave me from last year. Does anyone here know of a link or phone number for them?

Thanks in advance.. :cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

MOPARHOUND!

Not heard many good things about them......Beware.

Try Tri-City in Tennessee, good reputation:

http://www.tricityplating.com/
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

Steve P.

What kind of trouble with Bumper Boys??  I looked at  very many bumpers last year at the Zephyr Hills show and couldn't find anything bad on any bumpers. I was looking at bumpers that people where buying. Not one person turned one down. I couldn't even find hammer or chisel marks on the backs of any of them..

I have no other experience with them other than that they come to the Z H show every year and they come with a fully loaded semi. I was there on day 2 last year and was amazed at how many people were buying bumpers. There were people all over with old coming in and new going out.

Their prices  are rather high, I thought..  They must have had 6 to 8 sales people and all were busy..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Spike

Bumper Boyz do not do a very good job of plating.  Many stories of their bumpers discoloring and flaking after a year or so.

Tri City  :2thumbs:

Steve P.

No doughty...   I am bumbed..

I just tried Tri City. Closed till Monday.

Anyone else want to chime in?? Good, Bad, Other??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

moparguy01

ive seen 2 guys who used bumper boyz, and the bumpers were flaking and discoloring and basically just looked like crap within about 6 months. Go with tri-city.

472 R/T SE

I haven't used them but have heard lots of bad stuff.   I'll be using TriCity Plating for mine...to be continued.

bordin34

I know somebody that has bumper boys bumpers and the chrome doesnt look good anymore. i think its been a couple years though.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Just 6T9 CHGR

On the flip side, I have had my BB bumpers for at least 6 years.....IMHO they still look good.

When i originally got them though the front bumper was tweeked a bit which was very noticeable. 

Went through 3-4 ones they had with them and finally found a "good" one......it looked good till I put it on......its a little bent up wards on the drivers side....probably from the bumper jack.

Overall mine are still holding up....

On another note, my friend just got his bumpers back for his 69 Coronet R/T 'vert from Tri-City, put them on & the chrome on the front bumper chipped off when he put the bolt through & the rear one had chrome flaking off the underside.......

They are going back,,,,,,,
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Steve P.

So does anyone have a chrome shop they realllllllly like??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

BlueSS454

Stay away fromt he Bumper Boyz unless you want the chrome to flake off and pit within a year.  Go with Tri-City Plating in Elizabethton, TN.  They did the bumpers for both of my Chevelles and they still look as good as the day I put them on there.  The price is very reasonable at $250 each + shipping which is like $25 per bumper.  I give all of my bumper plating business to them.  Besides their crappy plating job, they are a bunch of A-holes to deal with. 
Tom Rightler

ITSA426

I bought from them once.  Poor qulity in the repairs and bumpers didn't fit the bracket.  They told me to drill it out a little.  I returned them instead.  They claimed they never recieved them.  I proved to VISA that Carlos signed for them and VISA refunded my money.  Six months later they charged my card again.  VISA refunded.  Stay away from them.  They are one of two people in this hobby that ever ripped me off.

Steve P.

Ok... You guys have convinced me.. Everything I saw for the last 2 years looked great. I damn sure don't need trouble like that though.. It's not just bumpers I need done. The tail panel on a 65' Coronet 500 is a tough nut to crack. I have 2. (No pun intended)...  Both need work. 

I'll give Tri-City a call on Monday..

Thanks guys....    :cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

bandit67

I just had some bumpers and pot metal parts done by a local plater out of Atlanta and this is what I learned. Most ALL bumpers rust from the backside out. My plater told me I could sandblast the backsides or pay him to do it, but it would have to be done.  He charged  a very high rate , but I think his work is top notch. When I picked up my finished parts I ask him about the backsides, as they were not done.  He said nobody plates the back and what was on there was just what stuck there thru the process and that I needed to prime and paint the backsides just as I would any other metal part of the car.  So I taped off everything , shot some DP 40 and painted the backside Argent Silver single stage. They look great and should stay the way for a very long time.  So , as Just 6T9 friend found out, something has to be done with that..............J

gtx6970

Tri-City doesn't do potmetal work, Excellant bumper work though.

resq302

Losing their business card was the best thing that could have ever happened to you.  When we had our 71 GS convert. we had the bumpers done by them.  3 times redone in the first year for the rear bumper and then the front bumper started peeling at the edge just after the warranty was up.  And because of their crappy work, they wanted us to pay shipping to and from them, we ended up just getting it rechromed at another place.

Avoid them like the plague.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Brock Samson

what does the expression "Show Chrome" mean...

and anyone had it done?...

Steve P.

Show chrome is : no waves, bends, dents, ripples, chips, chisel marks, hammer marks, clouds and should shine like a mirror in the sun.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

BlueSS454

Show Chrome is nothing more than a fancy terminology used by a plater to get top dollar for what they do.  Triple plating is the only way to go (IE what Tri-City does).  They will fix any dents or bends in the bumper also.  Some places take short cuts (IE the Bumper Boyz) skipping  one of the plating processes thusly making their plating suck and not last.
Tom Rightler

G Force

I guess I was lucky... I have Bumper Boyz front and rear bumpers on my 70 for over 5 years now and it looks Ok to me.
I also had no problems working with them.

71charger_fan

I've got a Bumper Boyz piece on one end of my car and a Tri-City on the other. I can't see any difference in quality and since it's been a few years, I've forgotten which is which.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: G Force on October 21, 2006, 11:17:42 PM
I guess I was lucky... I have Bumper Boyz front and rear bumpers on my 70 for over 5 years now and it looks Ok to me.
I also had no problems working with them.

Seems as though their quality control might have been better 5+ years ago.....maybe their process changed due to EPA regulations?

Frankly I'm surprised CA still does chroming.......NY banned that a long time ago.

Chrome shops in NJ are slowly closing as well due to stricter regulations

PS--G Force.....more pics please :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

dkn1997

I have bumperboyz bumpers on both ends of my car, they look the same as the day I put them on 6 years ago.  I would not call the chrome "perfect" what I mean is that while it's fine for me and 99.9% of all people, probably would not see them on a national award winning show car.  but still really good.

I just had the back one off yesterday because I thought a rattle I had was coming from one of the brackets.  and the back of it looks really smooth and nice.  although there is a washer welded to the backside sticking out, not flat against the bumper.  maybe that's what they use to hang them for storage or during the plating process?  totally invisible once the bumper is on the car.

although my experience was fine, I have heard enough bad lately to try something else if the need arises.  I used a place in syracuse ny called Sandys bumper mart for most of my other chroming at that time.  had them do my '68 tailights and my rear tailight trim and vinyl top check marks.  all came out mint. 
RECHRGED

Chris G.

Never used them, but they sure don't have a shortage of customers when in Carlisle. I think because they are cheaper, the majority of average Joe's in the hobby just want an affordable bumper, which is why they sell so much.

I will use Tri-City when I get mine done.

BigBlockSam

my friend put bb bumpers on his 66 charger 6 yrs ago and they still look good . i bought my bumpers off of ebay. they are goodmark. they look good too. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img