News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Local legends and urban myths

Started by Ghoste, August 26, 2005, 08:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68charger383

I think the cooler part of these stories is how many of these local legends had some influence about what's in your garage today. Its also funny how a lot of these stories are kind of similar, I guess no matter where you grew up it was basically the same.

For me, when I was 14-15 and just prior to getting to drive, we would all hang out at the pizza parlor in NY. Since kids were hanging out, the slightly older kids would cruise by in their cars. There was a guy who had a candy apple blue 68 charger with a 426 wedge in it. He worked at a local speed shop and no one would race him....not that he raced someone who was totally malled by the car, but just like others have said, he just had the rep of being untouchable so no one tried. That car was painted like a show car and sounded perfect...while everyone else was driving primed or driver quality cars.

One night, the day after a snow storm, I was walking my dog after the sun had melted some of the snow causing some icy and dry/wet roads. This was the early 80s so people drove their cars rain/sleet/snow. I heard him pull up to a corner, he floored the car around the corner and after about a 100 ft of spinning the tires, he hit a patch of ice or wet pavement and the car just went sideways and became a slight U on a telephone pole. That was the last time I saw the car.

However, the memory of that car definitely was one of the influences that made me decide to get a charger.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

JimShine

I had an uncle that I was close to that was a die hard GM fanatic. He went through more cars in a month than most people do in their lives. This was the late 70's, when things were cheap. There was a guy he would encounter on the streets from time to time and they would race. The guy drove a blue 1968 Charger. Years go by and this guy always gave my uncle an ass kicking. Around 1984 my uncle bought a beautiful 1967 Pontiac 2+2 that was a fast SOB. One night he went out drinking (which was rare for him) and on the way home on a desolate highway he spotted that old Blue 1968 Charger. He figured this was his shot to finally beat that Charger. They raced for a couple miles and my uncle blacked out and hit the cement of an overpass, totalling his 2+2. The car went end over end a few times, engine ripped from the car, trunk pushed to the ground. When I went and saw the wreck the entire cabin of the car except the area around the drivers seat was destroyed. I still don't know how he lived through that. To this day he still talks about that elusive blue 1968 Charger and how he always wanted to beat it and the one chance he had he blew it by being drunk.

ereru7

I was a legend until i sold it. Beat many Gm street cars. sigh :rotz:

Ghoste

And there's that old Mopar Pro Stock hood scoop.  I love that scoop.  :2thumbs:

Dodge Don

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 04, 2005, 10:58:34 PM
there was a Black 70 R/T Charger, Hemi the used to roam the streets  , it had a Gator grain top & Centerline wheels & a burnt orange interior  , the guy who drove never was shy about using the power , I remember it going sideways down the street with smoke puoring out of the wheel wells , 1 day it disappeared , I didn`t see it from around 1979 , I asked a lot of people about the car no one knew where the car was , around 2000 the car showed uo at a car show , with the same tires , wheels everything , I got talking to the owner who turned out to be the brother of the guy I knew , as it turned out he had been killed & the family had stored the car & never changed anything on the car ,overall it is a shame but the car is still awesome & in perfect condition

That car was COTM at the 70 Charger Registry awhile back and is in the Special Interest Chargers section of the 70 Charger Registry (pictures/story)

Very cool car

http://1970chargerregistry.com/page7.html