News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should I sell out??

Started by tin_soldier, October 19, 2006, 10:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tin_soldier

Hey all,

Looking for some help.  I have a 69 Plain jane Charger in the process of resto.  I have everything for the Charger, it matching #'s  383/727.  it needs the basic attention but by no means a basket case.  Needs new drivers side fl pan, trunk pan with ext., as well as lower rear Quters.  some small rot on the rockers nothing major.  engine fires on command, I am in he process of putting in front disc brakes.

So my problem is my Father basically sold the car on me.  He said I should have a "running" Mopar that I can drive instead of wasiting time fixing this thing up.  He aske me if I would sell it.  I said sure for 10G's.  Thinking no one would pay up.  Well his cousin from the bronx comes over and he wants to buy it for the 10G's.  I have to let him kknow later today if I am to sell it.  The $$ would be helpful to pay off some bills, but this would mean I would never be able to get another Charger again or maybe for a very long time.  You see I woud use the $$ to help pay down some past debt.  it is not going to pay it all off but sure would put a dent in it.  Current I am paying off the debt but it will take me @ 4-5yrs. where this would take off a few yrs and still leave me with at least anoter 2 yrs of paying bills.  Then I can start saving for another MOPAR and by then who knows what the price for one will be.

Any thoughts???

Charger_Fan

Quote from: tin_soldier on October 19, 2006, 10:39:12 AM

Any thoughts???
I'd say "let's see the 10G's".

Then decide if you're gonna sell. :D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Carrnutt

Well, quite the delema :pity:  I don't think I would sell it unless I absolutely had to or if it was to make quite the change in my financial situation. body work and all apearances aside, could you make it driveable within a reasonable timeframe ($$ being the case). also, if someone is willing to pay 10K for it so quickly, maybe you should see what you can really get for it.  It just seems to me that it's not worth gettin rid of just to pay off "some" debt. But just my  :Twocents:
1969 Rest-O-Fied Charger 383HP, Disc brake conversion, electronic ignition.
1993 D350 Curmmins
2006 Magnum R/T AWD
2003 Ram 3500 Cummins

tin_soldier

Well the only good thig @ the Charger is it is not costing me $$ to own it.  other than the resto work.  I hava free garage, etcc...  

And I have not personal seen the green but I know he has it.  He bought a 73 raylle challenger over e-bay I forget how much but alot more then the 10G's sent the guy a MO and he had the car in a week.

I know he is good for it

tin_soldier

Yes I figure between a new fl pan and trunk pan work and finsh up on the brake swap as well as anew brake lines for the discs i could have it on the road for spring.  that is if i can come up with about 700 bucks for the stuff

HITMAN 149

keep your car & work on it lil by lil, as you can!!! once you sell it....it'll be soooo hard to save up & get another one...cause WE ALLLLLL know they ain't gettin any cheaper!!! that's for sure!!! as long as your not flat dead on the street broke, without a penny to your name.... i say KEEP HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can always work a lil extra (get a 2nd job...holidays are comming...everyone will be looking for seasonal help soon!!!!) just my $00.02!!!
keep the dream alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :METAL:
best of luck!!!!
-JOHN aka "hobobum"
NJ
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

CB

same dilemma overhere
and knowing that I will never own a 2nd gen if I'd sell it makes me think twice
There she sits in the garage, needing a front end rebuild + trans adjustment + lots of small critical issues the be really road worthy ...
and she would look so much nicer with new paint.

take the advice of Homobum149 and try to find some extra cash. You'll not regret it in the spring.
(hear me talking, damn ::) )

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

nh_mopar_fan

Isn't this like asking the drug dealer if you should quit taking drugs?

;D

Skyview69

Quote from: tin_soldier on October 19, 2006, 10:39:12 AM
Hey all,

Looking for some help.  I have a 69 Plain jane Charger in the process of resto.  I have everything for the Charger, it matching #'s  383/727.  it needs the basic attention but by no means a basket case.  Needs new drivers side fl pan, trunk pan with ext., as well as lower rear Quters.  some small rot on the rockers nothing major.  engine fires on command, I am in he process of putting in front disc brakes.

So my problem is my Father basically sold the car on me.  He said I should have a "running" Mopar that I can drive instead of wasiting time fixing this thing up.  He aske me if I would sell it.  I said sure for 10G's.  Thinking no one would pay up.  Well his cousin from the bronx comes over and he wants to buy it for the 10G's.  I have to let him kknow later today if I am to sell it.  The $$ would be helpful to pay off some bills, but this would mean I would never be able to get another Charger again or maybe for a very long time.  You see I woud use the $$ to help pay down some past debt.  it is not going to pay it all off but sure would put a dent in it.  Current I am paying off the debt but it will take me @ 4-5yrs. where this would take off a few yrs and still leave me with at least anoter 2 yrs of paying bills.  Then I can start saving for another MOPAR and by then who knows what the price for one will be.

Any thoughts???

KEEP THE CAR!!  You will always have debt the rest of your life.  I sold an air grabber hood for my 71 to pay down some debt and guess what. I paid off the dedt and half a year later I am in debt again for the same amount and now I have no Air Grabber hood and will never have one again. :flame:

Live and learn.  Debt free sounds nice but when once are debt free your borrower power increases ten fold and you end up borrowing more!

MOPARHOUND!

1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

HITMAN 149

ahhemmmmm CB it's HOBOBUM149....not homobum149 :-X LOL i hope an honest mistake!!! LOL
hahahaha well at least i can laugh about it!!!!! LOL :angel: :devil:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

HITMAN 149

hahahaha yes mopar....it was a typo!!!! LOL i can assure you!!!!! LOL
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

RD

sounds like your dad already talked to your cousin, or vice versa, and now they are cluing you in on the deal.  keep the car, or you will regret it later.  your regret level will depend on who you are though.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

SRT-440

Keep the Charger! The bills will eventually get paid off, but the Charger will be gone for ever..and I can promise you it will cost more than 10g's to get another one. Besides if someones so willing to give you 10k then maybe it's worth more. Post pics and let us look at it.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

Brock Samson

SOUNDS LIKE YOUR BEING RAILROADED TO ME..

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Brock Samson on October 19, 2006, 01:09:12 PM
I think so too. :yesnod:
Sounds like it's time to stand firm on what you want in life, regardless of what others think you should do.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

firefighter3931

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on October 19, 2006, 01:14:39 PM
Quote from: Brock Samson on October 19, 2006, 01:09:12 PM
I think so too. :yesnod:
Sounds like it's time to stand firm on what you want in life, regardless of what others think you should do.

Good advice. Keep the car and work on it as time and funds dictate.  ;D

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

tin_soldier

here is some pix.  They are older.  I am sure some have seen some of these:

tin_soldier

another

Brock Samson

those arn't exactly the most flattering pics..  :P
only you know what you want it would be nice if your dad was supportive,.. but i'm sure he's wanting the best for you and probably views the XS as excess and prefers your out of debt..
grownups are funny that way..

derailed

Sounds like a deal may have already been in progress before it was mentioned to you, especially seeing that your cousin already has one charger. i would keep it and tell him to keep on looking.

tin_soldier

I know the pix are not great and they are older.  I have so much work since that shot was taken.

cs137

Speaking from someone who is in the process of finding one to purchase on a budget I would have to say: No way! keep it. I let too many cars sell because of the the financial bug. I have always regretted it and now that I'm in my 40's and wishing I had something to wrench on instead of sitting on my arse in front of the tv every night. But hey you gotta do whats right for you.

69charger2002

i remember that car. from ebay way back. my personal opinion is sell the car if the guy really wants to give you 10k for it. by the looks of the pics, he's not exactly ripping you off... finances and paying off debt are more important than a play toy... and the sooner you pay that debt off, the less money you are THROWING away on interest, that you never get back. think about the potential charger money you will throw away paying off that debt for the next 5 years.. sure chargers are awesome and hard to come by, but they are TOYS.. not something you put first in front of surviving or paying off debt.. just my opinion.. i know i'm in the minority here, and i do own a lot of chargers.. which may or may not make you value my opinio as much.. BUT if i owed a lot of money, you wouldn't see them here. not even my favorite..i am not a wealthy person AT ALL! i have just tried to stay debt free, which gave me the ability to buy and sell some of these cars as i could afford which got me what i now have.... just a word to the wise.. it's better to be debt free and THEN buy toys, than have toys and have to struggle to even keep them, much less maintain them/fix them up
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

itchyballs

just my opinion but chargers are just play toys and paying off bills are the most important. i know a guy a few years ago who took out a loan to buy his. big mistake!! he got so far in debt he ended up selling for a pretty big loss.another one will ALWAYS come along. i have had play toys(cars) and been in situations i had to sell but just when you get in a good position to buy along comes another one! if he will give you $10,000 i would say take it. especially if it still needs a lot done to it. there are a lot of those "sure let me think  about it buyers" but there arent as many with the green to actually buy it. just my 2 cents.... :yesnod: :yesnod: