News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Open vs. Closed

Started by Mean 318, October 13, 2006, 04:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mean 318

OK, I am building my 440 :icon_smile_approve:, and I was thinking of using open headers. I have herd both good and bad. What do you guys think? I want to Be abel to cruise with it, and  go on trips.  I will go to the track, and do some road races. "Out of town where there wont be other people to hurt" I was wondering which you thought was better? Thanks! :icon_smile_big:

firefighter3931

Open is better of course !  :devil: But that will get you in trouble with the  :police:....... :lol:

A good compromise is to install a pair of cutouts in your exhaust system....then you can have it both ways, anytime you want  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

Open headers will be illegal everywhere except the track and even a lot of tracks nowadays will force use to use some kind of exhaust.  Some even have decibel meters so you have to use regular mufflers and not the little pretend mufflers that some guys get away in the NMCA classes.  You're best bet is Firefighters recommendation unless you don't anticipate a lot of track time and then you will have to get used to crawling underneath and unbolting your exhaust from the headers.

Mean 318

Thanks guys! I think that I am going to use either 2.5-3 inch exhaust. I just cant get to the track enough to justify having them, and I have enough trouble with the  :police: without having them! :flame: 
Thanks!

Ghoste

We may be talking about two different things here.  When you say open headers, are you just referring to the part that bolts to exhaust ports on the heads?  Because most of us think of open headers as an exhaust sytem that ends at the collectors.  That is, no mufflers.  You can use headers and gain most of their perfromance advantage and still run mufflers.  Just use headers and bolt them to your regular exhaust.  You'll be happy with that.

grouseman

No no, open headers are perfectly fine.  If the cops stop you for noise, as soon as they start talking, just start revving the engine and saying "WHAT?!!?" real loud! 

Mean 318

Quote from: Ghoste on October 17, 2006, 03:38:41 AM
We may be talking about two different things here.  When you say open headers, are you just referring to the part that bolts to exhaust ports on the heads?  Because most of us think of open headers as an exhaust system that ends at the collectors.  That is, no mufflers.  You can use headers and gain most of their performance advantage and still run mufflers.  Just use headers and bolt them to your regular exhaust.  You'll be happy with that.
Yep, we are on the same page. I Was talking about putting on headers and no mufflers. I am extremely excited to get that 440 in my coronet. I just got to get the cash to rebuild that 727.  :eyes:

Ghoste

As far as I know, open headers are illegal everywhere.  But more than that, in a street car that you drive everyday, you might not like them anyway.  That collector ends just under your feet and it gets very loud resonating under there.
I still think you'd be happy with headers, just run them with a closed system.

74340charger

My dad's 340 with headers that hook into cherry bombs and thats it, is just to loud to do anything but show off to friends. on the other hand, your wife can talk all she wants and you just have to nod your head and look interested. So what I'm trying to say is, get the headers, have all your friends help you, fire it up and show off, then finish the exhaust.

69bananabeast

I would suggest like earlier going with electric cut outs . I have them on my 440 and I only go to the track about twice a year.  It's nice just to be able to flip a switch and have em open.  usually i just use them at the track, car shows, or unsuspecting imports.  Just last night cruising home at about 1 am I blew by an unsuspecting '04 or newer corvette at 4400 rpm.  :icon_smile_evil:
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

Mean 318

Quote from: 69bananabeast on October 22, 2006, 08:59:26 PM
I would suggest like earlier going with electric cut outs . I have them on my 440 and I only go to the track about twice a year.  It's nice just to be able to flip a switch and have em open.  usually i just use them at the track, car shows, or unsuspecting imports.  Just last night cruising home at about 1 am I blew by an unsuspecting '04 or newer corvette at 4400 rpm.  :icon_smile_evil:
How much do they run?

69bananabeast

mine were $350  for the Y pipes, Wiring, Switch, and electric operated cutouts.    you still need to figure in the cost of some one welding them in  unless you will be doing it yourself.
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)