News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Header choice?

Started by Mean 318, October 04, 2006, 07:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mean 318

What would you use for headers? The motor will be putting out 500 HP and I want headers that are good, but not expensive. I am looking at spending about 200-250. Is that kinda nuts? Thanks!

Plumcrazy

I have ceramic coated Hedman's.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

deputycrawford

I bought my set of Dynomax Ceramic coated headers for my 383. They are 1 7/8 primaries and 3 inch collectors.  They only cost me $245 from Summit.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

whitehatspecial

If you can find a set of old Doug Thorley's, they fit pretty well. 500hp 318, I want to hear more...
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

Chryco Psycho

I would use TTi , the $$ you spend on headers you will save on burnt ign wires

myk

I was under the impression that the TTI's are the only headers that are guaranteed NOT to cause any fitment issues, whether they be wire, starter or suspension related, right? 

Mean 318

Quote from: whitehatspecial on October 04, 2006, 10:28:13 PM
If you can find a set of old Doug Thorley's, they fit pretty well. 500hp 318, I want to hear more...
500 hp 440

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: myk on October 05, 2006, 01:09:14 AM
I was under the impression that the TTI's are the only headers that are guaranteed NOT to cause any fitment issues, whether they be wire, starter or suspension related, right? 

I`m not sure about a guarantee But they doi fit well , & when I talked to Sam the owner he was very interested to hear about any problems , I have noticed that the left Cuda tailpipe seemed to hit the gas tank in the corner or if you moved  the pipe to clear the tip ended up crooked , I told Sam about this @ mopars at the strip in March   

Ghoste

If you're using any of the aftermarket heads out there with the angled plugs or raised exhaust ports, the TTI's are nearly your only choice.

mally69

please whatever you do dont buy hooker super comps  i did and they fit TERRIBLE   and were a pain in the   :sick:  to get to seal at the heads  i had to use a die grinder to level the face of the header and double gasket so it wouldn't leak and they didnt even come close to aligning with the humps of the cross member that the torsion bars connect   

Dodge69_440

I had to dent my hooker comps and jack my engine up about six inches to get them to fit on my smallblock.  On top of that I had to grind down several bolts on my steering linkage so I do not have coter pins there anymore.  Was a massive pain, going to pay someone to do it next time.  Also, does anyone make full length headers that do not go under the steering linkage (not sure what that bar is) on the drivers side?  I have a small block and that damn thing kills my ground clearance.

Chryco Psycho

TTI does NOT go under the steering linkage on the small blocks , there is one other that I have seen but there was no markings to identify it , there is no good reason to go under the steering that I can see

Silver R/T

TTi is the way to go. although hooker super comp will work too (got a set on my Cobra)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Goldfinger71

I have haerd that the Hooker headers are really touch and go...........Some people like them with no problems and some people just can not stand them! :angel:
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

Ghoste

At least we have a choice.  I hear my Ford buddies whining about how Hooker is the only one who makes a header for a 428CJ in a Torino. ::)

69bananabeast

my 440 is around that area as well .  just got regular  Hooker header 1 7/8 primary  with aftermarket angle plug heads.  ALTHOUGH i had to heat and bend the pipes toward the collectors so they would clear the torsion bars.  Prolly should have gone with smaller primary  :shruggy:
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)