News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"REAL" 68 Charger R/T????

Started by HITMAN 149, October 02, 2006, 04:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HITMAN 149

hey guys looking for some help???
can anyone tell me other ways to check if a 68 charger is a "real" R/T other than the XS vin#??
i heard but not sure...the number of real leaf springs??(how many??) and the size/diamater of the drums???(how big???)
thanks for any help.... ???
-JOHN
NJ
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

BB1

Not sure about leaf springs, probably more than 5 springs, but the biggest brake drum  is 11"
Delete my profile

Brock Samson

5 leafs on one side and 4 or 6 (I forget) on the other side... to combat axle hop which was horrible on the brand x machines..
also there's a 440 four bbl with dual exhausts...
the R/T badging on the grill and tail panel.
i know i'm forgeting somthing else..
oh, 22 inch radiator too..

6pkrunner

5 digit in the VIN is either L or J. L is 375 horse 440, J is 425 horse 426.

Magnumcharger

Fuel line diameter is bigger on 440/Hemi than smallblocks (I think).
Of course Hemi R/Ts have the torque boxes.
All R/T's regardless of engine, have the extra exhaust hanger bolted just in front of the rear diff. Small blocks and sixes have the single mount, welded to the body.
Now I might be wrong here (again), but I believe all R/Ts came with Bucket seats, which means the floorpans have the extra reinforcements for the buckets.
A/C cars and those equpped with fourspeed transmissions have the 26" radiator, and accompanying radiator support.
Larger diameter torsion bars as well.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

69charger2002

i think all 68 chargers period came with buckets. never seen a bench seat car. anywho i thought R/T leafs were 6 on the left 7 on the right.. all R/T's do have 11 inch drums all around.. but that is not necessarily a telltale sign because 383 4 speeds and ordered 383 auto high po cars could be had with 11 inch drums all around too. really the XS is your best bet.. what sucks is in 68 the numbers all over the body match the fender tag last 6 numbers only. no XS anywhere on the body. so if a dash with XS vin was swapped in, and no fender tag, it would be really hard to tell if it's a legit 68 R/T in my opinion. an XS on the fender tag if still present is best proof. because after the XS29 then the last 6 numbers(order numbers).. will be found on the rad support, trunk lip, etc
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Charger Aficionado

Weren't some Rad VIN stampings GOOFY?  (Not the last 6 of VIN)?  I seem to remember having one or two like that...  I believe I counted 6 Driver and 7 pass on my R/Ts... 

If you view the rear tailpanel (Behind R/T emblem).  Non-RT cars would have an EXTRA hole that has been filled-in.  (Standard Charger Emblem was wider than R/T emblem, but R/T emblem could use one hole from the standard Charger emblem and have 2nd one drilled out to fit the "R/T")...  follow that?  :) 

hemi68charger

Leaf Springs: Passenger side - 5 full with 2 half
                  Driver's side - 6 full.

The fuel will be the bigger 3/8 for the 426 hemi cars with the smaller 5/16 for everything else.

If it's a hemi car, it'll have the torque boxes, rear frame gussets and the additional pinion snubber reenforcement plate.

440/426 4speed cars will be Dana equipped with the big square block rubber bumpers.

torsion bars will be the thicker than non-R/T's...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection