News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FEEDBACK ON ALUM FLYWHEEL

Started by daytonalo, October 01, 2006, 06:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonalo

Has anyone installed an alum flywheel on a big block  , I figure going with an alum bell and flywheel will shave 100 lbs , and rev much quicker

471_Magnum

Not recommended on a heavy car (such as a Charger). Save the aluminum flywheel for a light race car.

You wouldn't save 100 lbs. Furthermore you'd want to run a Lakewood scattershield (if you value your feet) which would more than negate any weight savings.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

daytonalo

The 100 lbs was with new keisler bell, flywheel and trans !

Chryco Psycho

it will kil the bottom end torque
I dropped from a 35 lb to a 25 lb flywheel on my race car & it killled the launch

daytonalo

CFMopar

dont they make kevlar blanket scatter shields? might be lighter and cheaper...
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

myk

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 02, 2006, 12:57:17 AM
it will kil the bottom end torque
I dropped from a 35 lb to a 25 lb flywheel on my race car & it killled the launch

Why would that happen?

Chryco Psycho

Less inertia so when the clutch was released the engine was easier to stall down
my duster used to leave with the front wheels 3 ' in the air after changing the flywheel it would only lift them 20" or so , it helped that car as it didn1t hit the tires as hard & the 60' times were consistant but you could really feel the difference , dropping to 11# from 35 # would really hurt the launch 

is_it_EVER_done?

It depends on your situation. If you are going with a stroked engine, you will have enough torque to overcome the usefulness of a heavy flywheel, and may very well be able to get the engine to rev a bit faster, BUT ... a flywheel is like a brake rotor in as much as the heavier it is, the better it can deal with heat without warping. Lite is great for a race car, but terrible for a street car, and a heavy unit is better with a standard displacement engine.

If it's going to be used in a heavy car (Charger), and it's going to be used on the street, I wouldn't consider it just for the durability factor, plus you will never be able to tell any difference on the street w/street tires.

The aluminum flywheels will warp if you put too much heat into them, and even the ones with steel inserts will be far less durable than a heavy steel unit. I personaly use a steel SFI flywheel and a Lakewood bellhousing in my high torque street car. My opinion is that this is definitely not the place to try to save weight in anything less than a race car from both a safety and durability standpoint.

daytonalo