News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I Thought I Could Be Cold & Unsympathetic!

Started by Shakey, September 28, 2006, 10:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

My Wife reminds me once in a while that I can be cold and unsympathetic at times.

The President of Pakistan, Pervez Musharraf has me beat by a mile!

http://www.bruneitimes.com.bn/details.php?shape_ID=6138

Stop whining on death toll, Musharraf tells Canada

PAKISTANI President Pervez Musharraf bluntly told Canadians to stop complaining about the number of soldiers they were losing in Afghanistan, saying Canada's death toll was far less than Pakistan's. 

Canada has 2300 troops based in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar. 

In the past three months, 20 soldiers have been killed in clashes with Taliban militants, prompting calls in Canada for the mission to be brought back home. 

President Musharraf told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation that if Canada was worried about soldier fatalities, it should not be in the war-torn country. 

``When you get involved in places like Iraq or Lebanon or Afghanistan, yes indeed you have to suffer casualties, and the nation must be prepared to suffer casualties.  ``So if you're not prepared to suffer casualties as an army, then don't participate in any operation,'' he said.

Since Canada joined the US-led war on terror in late 2001, about 35 of its soldiers have died in Afghanistan. President Musharraf, whose country neighbours Afghanistan, dismissed this as a mere handful. 

``We have suffered 500 casualties. The Canadians have suffered four or five. What are you talking about? Who are you talking to? Who are you talking to? You are talking to the president of a country that has suffered 500 casualties,'' he said.  ``You have suffered two dead and there is crying and shouting all around the place that there are coffins.  ``Well, we've had 500 coffins.''

The chief spokeswoman for Canada's Prime Minister Stephen Harper said she was unaware of the comments. 

President Musharraf also dismissed a suggestion by Canadian Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor that Canadian troops might be based in Pakistan to help the fight against militants. 

``I can assure you our troops are more effective and we have more experience of war. This (suggestion) shows a lack of trust in Pakistan,'' he said. 

A suicide car bomb exploded near a Canadian convoy in Kandahar yesterday, wounding an Afghan civilian, the Nato-led force and police said.  The blast occurred in a busy area of the city, which has suffered the most regular suicide attacks in volatile Kandahar, which are carried out by the Taliban. 

``There was an IED (improvised explosive device) on a Canadian convoy,'' said Major Quentin Innis, a spokesman for the Nato-led International Security Assistance Force.  He later confirmed that it was a suicide attack.  There were no Canadian casualties, he said. 

``It was a suicide car bomb attack targeting Nato troops,'' Afghan police Colonel Shir Shah said at the site.  ``Only one Afghan civilian has been wounded,'' Mr Shah said. 

The blast was so powerful that it tore the car that had been carrying the explosives into chunks.  The attack came a day after a suicide blast tore through a security checkpost in the town of Lashkar Gah, killing 18 people. 

The Taliban said it had carried out that attack.

73dodge

I don't think that was a cold and unsympathetic response....

I Wonder what would have happened if we had to fight WWII today?

People would be screaming because there were thousands of casualties in the TRAINING leading up to the D-Day invasion not to mention the bungled pre-assault attack leading up to the landings where US destroyers failed to take out the German defenses or even put a dent in them before the landings, that also happened in Iwo and Okinawa costing thousands of lives because our intelligence at the time did not "foresee" how well the Japanese were dug in on IWO and Okinawa. Those kinds of dead troops would have the liberals holding die in's all over the country calling our leaders murderers for years after.

And the thousands of dead that happend on Iwo Jima and Okinawa the soldiers killed AFTER Japan surrendered, the news media/democrats in the US would be whining about bringing troops home after the D-Day assault when we still had months of fighting and dead after the landing. The MSM/Democrats would be proclaiming the war as a defeat based on the number of dead.

Sorry But I think he's right
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

Shakey

Quote from: 73dodge on September 28, 2006, 10:49:40 AM

You used the word response, as in an answer to a question.

What was the question?

I read the article and didn't read anywhere that he was asked a question.  If I missed something, please let me know.

By looking at this photo that accompanied the article, I personally, would have kept my mouth shut and not offered my opinion if I were a man in his position or if I actually were asked the question, I would have offered a more diplomatic answer.

dodge freak

The Canadian people were told their sons and daughter's were going as peace keepers, not for fighting the enemy's. Canada was not for the war in the first place and afterwards when the USA and Britain ask for them to at least help out as peace keepers they agree. This is why they are upset now 3 years latter and their kids are still being hurt and killed.

Yeah they might be cry babies but their murder rate is much lower that the USA. Now things have been going down hill for a while in their big city's , lets hope the new guy-Harper-can do someting about it.

Lowprofile

Quote from: Shakey on September 28, 2006, 11:16:04 AM
Quote from: 73dodge on September 28, 2006, 10:49:40 AM

By looking at this photo that accompanied the article, I personally, would have kept my mouth shut and not offered my opinion if I were a man in his position or if I actually were asked the question, I would have offered a more diplomatic answer.

Well, maybe that's the problem........Too many politicans are afraid to say things that do need to be said. I am sure in his own way he was trying to convey the fact that ALL NATIONS involved in both peacekeeping missions & the War on Terrorism have experienced tragic losses. But, just because we have had loss of life, we should not run from the mission.

It is a horrible shame that any solder looses their life. The Canadian govt & the people of Canada have contributed troops to a noble cause. I am sure the people of Afghanistan are very grateful for the help and the protection they receive from the troops of all nations, including Canada.

As an American, I am thankful that Canada is in the fight and on our side.
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

73dodge

Quote from: dodge freak on September 28, 2006, 11:21:52 AM
The Canadian people were told their sons and daughter's were going as peace keepers, not for fighting the enemy's. Canada was not for the war in the first place and afterwards when the USA and Britain ask for them to at least help out as peace keepers they agree. This is why they are upset now 3 years latter and their kids are still being hurt and killed.

Yeah they might be cry babies but their murder rate is much lower that the USA. Now things have been going down hill for a while in their big city's , lets hope the new guy-Harper-can do someting about it.

Just because you have a presence there as peacekeepers does not mean they do not view you as an enemy. Last I checked the muslims that we are fighting believe anyone that is not muslim is an enemy regardless of your intentions. did not al-zarwhaheri? [sp] just issue another tape telling the world we must convert to islam or suffer the consequences? That was not a plea for us to consider islam as an alternative religion that was warning a tape, you do not have a choice it is either you convert or die and just because you do not agree with the war does not mean you are less of a target. YOU ARE A TARGET BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT MUSLIM!!!    Why is this a hard concept for people to grasp? 

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

dodge freak

Yes they are nuts some of them. Canada went in after the war was "over" they were told. It seems like war is still going on in some area's. Some of the Canadians were killed by the USA troops by mistake-like 4 guys last month. Thats uncalled for. I can see why they are upset.

Orange_Crush

Quote from: dodge freak on September 28, 2006, 02:06:37 PM
Yes they are nuts some of them. Canada went in after the war was "over" they were told. It seems like war is still going on in some area's. Some of the Canadians were killed by the USA troops by mistake-like 4 guys last month. Thats uncalled for. I can see why they are upset.

Canadians went into Afghanistan when we did.  They have fought against the Taliban alongside our troop and have fought (as they have fought in every war they have been involved in) as hard as any American out there.  Aside from not being able to get it through their heads that the crap they eat is HAM and NOT bacon, they're an okay bunch of guys.

Seriously though, I kinda have to agree with Musharraf on this one.  When you take part in a war, you are going to lose some of your men.  He may have been a little too flippant aboput it, but someone has to state the cold hard facts.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Shakey on September 28, 2006, 10:26:17 AM

Since Canada joined the US-led war on terror in late 2001, about 35 of its soldiers have died in Afghanistan.

35? so  that's what...like 20 in American?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Shakey

Quote from: Orange_Crush on September 28, 2006, 02:23:02 PM

He may have been a little too flippant about it....

That's all I was sayin'!   :smash:

Now, about this:

QuoteAside from not being able to get it through their heads that the crap they eat is HAM and NOT bacon....

Let's say we tackle that subject on that on Friday.   :yesnod:

Shakey

Quote from: MojoJojo Classic ® on September 28, 2006, 02:30:36 PM

Since Canada joined the US-led war on terror in late 2001, about 35 of its soldiers have died in Afghanistan.

Actually with the obesity factor that would be more like 17.5 American.   :nana:

73dodge

Quote from: Shakey on September 28, 2006, 02:38:31 PM

Actually with the obesity factor that would be more like 17.5 American.   :nana:

Hey now, that's not nice..................

Funny as hell   :smilielol:

But not very nice   

Besides I am going to be in Toronto next week I hope I can find some Canadian Bacon to put on my eggs because that's what I am going to order at the local tim hortons and I better get canadian bacon! 

Shakey

Quote from: 73dodge on September 28, 2006, 02:45:06 PM

But not very nice   

Besides I am going to be in Toronto next week I hope I can find some Canadian Bacon to put on my eggs because that's what I am going to order at the local tim hortons and I better get canadian bacon! 

I don't think you'll get it at Tim Horton's.

You'll have to go to a "greasy spoon" type restaurant or diner and make sure you ask for either back bacon or pemale bacon.

A great sandwich - 4 - 5 slices of pemale on a kaiser with some onions, cheddar cheese and some mustard.   :thumbs:

Orange_Crush

But not very nice   

Up there they just call it "bacon."

Actually, ask for peameal bacon...that's what they call it and it tastes a LOT better than that thing you get on the egg McMuffin....still not bacon though.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Lowprofile

Quote from: Shakey on September 28, 2006, 02:49:41 PM

But not very nice   

I don't think you'll get it at Tim Horton's.

You'll have to go to a "greasy spoon" type restaurant or diner and make sure you ask for either back bacon or pemale bacon.

A great sandwich - 4 - 5 slices of pemale on a kaiser with some onions, cheddar cheese and some mustard.   :thumbs:

I thought you guys put Brown Gravy on EVERYTHING? :shruggy: :D
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Shakey

Shakey

But not very nice   

You guys should all know me well enough by now that I really mean no harm.   :stirthepot:

Besides, you'll see that we have our fair share of two legged elephants also!   :yesnod:

73dodge

Quote from: Shakey on September 28, 2006, 05:20:42 PM

But not very nice   

You guys should all know me well enough by now that I really mean no harm.   :stirthepot:

Besides, you'll see that we have our fair share of two legged elephants also!   :yesnod:

I know that, I was just kidding myself and besides I really can't disagree with you on that point anyway........................