News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any Craftsman tool owners had to deal with Kmart yet?

Started by bull, September 21, 2006, 10:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I didn't know Kmart bought out Sears until a few days ago when a coworker told me that Kmart is going to start carrying Craftsman tools. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you guys have been in a Kmart and seen the Craftsman tools yet, do they have as much stuff as Sears, have you had to deal with them on any warranty issues, etc.? It's good in one sense because there are a lot more Kmart stores than Sears so I'll have better access but I can't help but wonder if the quality is going to suffer.

Troy

I think Sears is selling Craftsman tools at Kmart - it's just another distribution channel. Die Hard batteries will be there as well. Sears "merged" with Kmart just like Chrysler "merged" with Daimler Benz (meaning they were acquired).
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2006-09-14-craftsman-kmart_x.htm

Most all of the Kmarts by me closed but I have 4 Sears retail stores and 2 Sears Hardware stores within 30 minutes of me. I haven't had the opportunity to buy any Sears brands at Kmart to test the warranty. I doubt if the quality will change but you never know.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

derailed

KMart by me has been selling Craftsman tools for almost a year now. I havent really dealt with them there. I wanted to use a $100 Sears gift certificate there on some tools but they wouldnt honor it. They told me they might sometime in the future.  ??? So i just headed down to the sears store in Albany

TruckDriver

Sears owns Kmart now or at least half of it. They turned a Kmart here totally into a Sears store this past spring.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

daytonalo

I just returned 4 ratchets to k-mart , they had 3 , the other was a half inch drive long handle in which they didn't have . Other than that I had no problem .

bull

I guess Sears isn't much of a presence in the Great Northwest. There are only three Sears department stores in malls around the Portland metro area that I can think of and none of them are close to me. I've never even heard of Sears Grands, Sears Hardware or Sears Dealer and Orchard Supply Hardware. I hate traversing malls to get a 7/16 socket replaced. It's not worth it.

sunfire69

You guys have it backwards...believe it or not.
K-Mart bought Sears not the other way around.  Kmart has had Craftsman tools for close to a year.
Jerry

Charger_Fan

Quote from: DodgeChargerGuy on September 22, 2006, 05:00:45 AM
Sears owns Kmart now or at least half of it. They turned a Kmart here totally into a Sears store this past spring.
Same here, I thought it kind of odd at first, but after hearing this news, it makes sense.

Quote from: bull on September 21, 2006, 10:02:57 PM
but I can't help but wonder if the quality is going to suffer.
I'd just about bet the bank on it, especially since Sears has really gone heavily into Chinese made tools (especially power tools) in the last couple years or so.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

dodge freak

I know somebody who got all their appliances at Sears , dishwasher, stove, wash machine, etc. a year ago and something has broke on each one he claims.

TruckDriver

Quote from: sunfire69 on September 22, 2006, 04:07:06 PM
You guys have it backwards...believe it or not.
K-Mart bought Sears not the other way around.  Kmart has hand Craftsman tolls for close to a year.
Jerry

I knew that, really. I was just testing you guys :angel:

That's what happens when I post at 5am and I'm still half a sleep. :icon_smile_blackeye:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

dkn1997

I would rathe get the tools at sears.  While they don't exactly employ Tim the tool man Taylor there, at least they make some attempt to staff the store with guys who know what a socket is.  your'e not gonna get that at K mart.  Has anyone been to a K mart lately?  Judging by the chicks in that place,   Unless you weigh 400 lbs, you probably cannot trip the sensor that opens the damn door!!
RECHRGED

dodge freak

I been to K-Mart a few months ago, the place was not busy at all and the customers made the Wal-Mart customers look high class. :laugh: But I sure some are better than others.

Lowprofile

Quote from: dkn1997 on September 22, 2006, 08:48:04 PM
I would rathe get the tools at sears.  While they don't exactly employ Tim the tool man Taylor there, at least they make some attempt to staff the store with guys who know what a socket is.  your'e not gonna get that at K mart.  Has anyone been to a K mart lately?  Judging by the chicks in that place,   Unless you weigh 400 lbs, you probably cannot trip the sensor that opens the damn door!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA  You're killin' me!! :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :hah: :hah: :hah: :hah: :hah: :D
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

derailed

Quote from: dodge freak on September 22, 2006, 09:21:46 PM
I been to K-Mart a few months ago, the place was not busy at all and the customers made the Wal-Mart customers look high class. :laugh: But I sure some are better than others.
Those were probably disgruntled Wal Mart employees you were seeing.

Wakko

The KMart in my patrol area is horrible...always a mess and very disorganized.  I'd rather go twice the distance to the Walmart.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

bull

My biggest fear is that they will start doing the 'ol "manufacturer's lifetime warranty" rather than keeping it the way it is now. A manufacturer's lifetime warranty basically means you're screwed if something happens to the tool because all you get is the runaround like you get at Lowe's or Home Depot. If you return the tool to the store during your "lifetime" they want the original receipt and/or all the packaging and/or they want you to return the entire 354-piece set if one 3/8" socket breaks, etc. They are counting on the fact that you will not have your receipt and packaging after three years and that you will not go through all the hassle of returning 354 tools to replace one socket. IMO, Lowe's and HD are deceiving the consumer by offering a lifetime warranty.

chrisII

I bought a cheepo set of allen sockets at my local auto zone that had this type of warranty. when i twisted one I took it in, they were out of stock on that set but the guy promptly ordered a whole set for me (they warranty the set) and told me i could either bring him my whole set, or any that were worn. and he would just change out whatever ones i broguht him and send them back..seems dumb to me that they replace the whole set. but they dont sell them individualy so thats how it is..either way they were really good about it for being such cheep tools. I will not hesitate to buy sheep tools at auto zone...I just stay clear of alot of there parts!

bull

Quote from: chrisII on September 25, 2006, 10:31:36 PM
I bought a cheepo set of allen sockets at my local auto zone that had this type of warranty. when i twisted one I took it in, they were out of stock on that set but the guy promptly ordered a whole set for me (they warranty the set) and told me i could either bring him my whole set, or any that were worn. and he would just change out whatever ones i broguht him and send them back..seems dumb to me that they replace the whole set. but they dont sell them individualy so thats how it is..either way they were really good about it for being such cheep tools. I will not hesitate to buy sheep tools at auto zone...I just stay clear of alot of there parts!

Yea, I told my wife it would be pretty funny if I did actually throw that 354-piece tool set into a five-gallon bucket and take it back to them just to have a socket replaced. I'd have new tools all the time. But I'm sure they'd find a way around honoring it.