News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Officially Driving My 68 R/T

Started by 4402tuff4u, September 19, 2006, 06:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4402tuff4u

I can finally say that I'm finally driving my 68 Charger. I've had it back home for the past few months and was trying to finish it and juggling my time between family responsibilities and the my two jobs. I have to personally thank Chryco Psyco (Neil) for his generous help in assisting me with building this awesome 440 that propels the Charger through the gears very nicely and smoke the tires at my command (I should say tire - it's a one legged)!! Anyway, the cam was broken in three weeks ago, but I haven't had the time to drive the car. The engine is running a bit on the hot side at 200*, but I've been told that it will cool off a bit once the engine becomes a bit more "broken-in". I had this annoying small leak around the oil pan cause the engine builder installed cork gaskets and with my torquing up the bolts, I pushed the gasket out. :flame:
This was actually a positive thing. Since then I have upgraded the gaskets with a steel core type as suggested by Neil and Ron  :2thumbs:

I also want to actually thank the whole message board and it's members cause it sure made things allot easier to restore the Charger with each members suggestions, recommendations and basically the "know how". Also thanks to the members here that provided parts - you know who you are, many below market price and some even free - the best kind! :2thumbs: .....oh, and also the members here that were in the same stage in the restoration as I was, but manage to complete their Charger before I did - it sure kept the motivation going! Right PT? :yesnod: 

I know the rims have to go, I don't care for them since I day the Charger came home. But I don't have the money to buy rims at this stage, so I'll keep them until I have the bucks to upgrade. The car also came with the original steel rims and hub caps that the Charger rolled out of the factory. I have them in the attic. I have located four correct date coded polished 14" rims and redline tires for this Charger and the guy who has them will sell them to me once I have the $$. I have to make up my mind first. I'm also planning on upgrading the brake system and installing a sure grip rear. I also wanted the black spark plug wires, but I would of had to wait for 4 days and my mechanic was actually waiting for me at his shop to get them wires to him, my bad, I should of planned that one better - they only had red ones! :rotz:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

4402tuff4u

Some more...............

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

NYCMille

Way to go Mike! The car came out wonderful and you should be proud of all the work that went into it. We definitely have to get together for a cruise in the next couple weeks with the cars, maybe a nice ride out east or something.

Cheers and congrats on finishing your new toy.

Mike

Hemidog

That is one sharp '68  :o
Personally, i liked those wheels.
Congratiulations!

4402tuff4u

Quote from: NYCMille on September 19, 2006, 07:53:02 AM
Way to go Mike! The car came out wonderful and you should be proud of all the work that went into it. We definitely have to get together for a cruise in the next couple weeks with the cars, maybe a nice ride out east or something.

Cheers and congrats on finishing your new toy.

Mike

That's a big 10-4 Mike!! Take a nice cruise to the eastend of LI this fall would be nice!! Be nice to see two 68 R/T moving along on Ocean Parkway! Hey, I met Pete (Autodynamics) where his 69 is being done and that Charger is going to be a killer!! It's going to be an awesome looking masterpiece! He showed me the color and the different details he's going with. I'm exited for him. Can't wait to see it finished!  

hemi68charger

Man,,, Mike,,,,, she looks awesome !!!!!!   

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

tan top

looks awesome dude  :bow:,  black wheels look real good with your color combination  :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

4402tuff4u

Thanks for the compliments guys! yes, I've been told that the rims look good with the Charger, but I actually like them better on the Charger when I bought the Charger and was delivered in black prime. The black rims seem to look good on black cars and silver cars too. I also think they would look much better if the tires had larger white lettering - NASCARish if you will.

I wonder if the spark plug wires would take paint well if I decide to paint them. Wires were to expensive to replace just because of color!! Oh, yes that battery will go as soon as I have the $$ to replace it with Mopar red top type.

PocketThunder

Right!  :thumbs:  I think you caught up and passed me actually.  My 68 took a back seat to my house addition right after i got it running back in June.  I've still got a punch list of thing to finish up.  But i can drive it for now.  its just not "wife" ready yet.  hehe :icon_smile_big:

But damn dude. your 68 is top notch :yesnod:  And i agree with you on the wheels, they look good on black, silver and white cars.

Paul
in St. Paul

PS: that tinted side glass looks nice  ;)
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

4402tuff4u

Quote from: PocketThunder on September 19, 2006, 10:13:59 AM
Right!  :thumbs:  I think you caught up and passed me actually.  My 68 took a back seat to my house addition right after i got it running back in June.  I've still got a punch list of thing to finish up.  But i can drive it for now.  its just not "wife" ready yet.  hehe :icon_smile_big:

But damn dude. your 68 is top notch :yesnod:  And i agree with you on the wheels, they look good on black, silver and white cars.

Paul
in St. Paul

PS: that tinted side glass looks nice  ;)

Thanks for your help Paul and glass! Now I can see whom I'm flying by!!  :devil:    I now have to re-route the spark plug wires through the engine compartment the way they are supposed to be.

Charger_Fan

Congratulations Mike, that's gotta be a pretty damned great feeling cruising around in that beauty. :icon_smile_approve:

Have you caused any wrecks yet from people rubber necking as you go by? :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Brock Samson

awsome looking R/T why dont you work a trade with someone regarding the wheels?... what kind you invisioning?..

i see you got the rare rear seat paper towel option...  ;D
nice ride man really really nice, you aint got far to go now if the wheels plug wires and battery are all you got to worry 'bout..  :pity:

Manfred318

Beau-ti-ful!!! :drool5: :cheers:
P.S. Those wheels actually look rather nice on there.

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

OttawaCharger

Congratulations! :cheers:
That is one sharp looking 68!  :2thumbs:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

472 R/T SE

Looks great.  I really like the color combo.  How 'bout some magnums?  Here's a pic I stole from Troy's thread.

4402tuff4u

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on September 19, 2006, 11:55:47 AM
Looks great.  I really like the color combo.  How 'bout some magnums?  Here's a pic I stole from Troy's thread.

Now those are nice wheels!!!  :yesnod: I think that's what the 68's rims suppose to look like. I believe those are the rims my friend has ready for me. He has to email me the photo's. Nice Charger too! Love that color, oh! same as mine  :icon_smile_big:

yes there are always little few details to finish up. I also want to install new the backside piece of the bucket seats. The ones I have on now are the originals and the cardboard is kind of bent. I have a signature and number of someone on the driver side one. I wonder if it was the assembler or the inspector. Yes Strat! you know you have to carry the roll of paper towel for the unexpected smear or bird caca falling from the sky! :icon_smile_blackeye:

JW69

4402tuff4u thats one nice looking 68, it really needs 15x8 magnums to finish it off.

cudacharger

Just 6T9 CHGR

Please NO paper towels on the paint!!!!  Especially on a dark color like yours......can you say scratch city? :nono:

Only 100% USA cotton!!!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Beep Beep Dave

Wow that car looks great. I agree the chrome magnums would look great!
Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

BigBlockSam

sweeeeeeeeeeet car! you did a hell of a job.  :2thumbs: 

enjoy her now. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

69 OUR/TEA

Charger Aficionado

OUTSTANDING.  Color is excellent.  I think the rims make it look MEAN, but I also thing the Magnums are a beautifier.  Great job!