News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What the....lifters knocking???

Started by gnrl01, September 14, 2006, 10:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnrl01

I have no idea where this problem came from, I installed a set of Msd wires tonite and started it up and sounded good so I took it out for a 15 min run, I started hearing this squishing noise got out and noticed i could hear lifter noises inside my valve cover under both sides. Brought it home and parked it. The sound never got worse and I was running almost 75 psi of oil pressure. The oil level seems fine, what is going on here any one have ideas, damn this sux! (69 charger with 440)

Chryco Psycho

new hyd lifters are not as good as the old ones , it is possible they are bleeding down internally & may need to be replaced If it is lifter , rocker noise

Challenger340

I'm wondering how the plug wire change may have affected the Lifters ?
Were you wailing on it just before the lifters got noisy ?
Did the new wires allow the engine to rpm harder ? 
Is this a new motor, or have you been driving it for awhile with no problems ?
Could the new wires have affected the timing ? 

I'm stumped, sorry can't help.  Just trying to give some areas that I'm sure you've alreadt thought of. 
Does seem strange the plug wires would make the lifters go away ?  Were the lifters OK before the new plug wires ?

Can you restart it and see if the lifters "pump up" again and go quiet ?  or are they staying noisy ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

gnrl01

The motor has about 3,000 on it, I have checked around and what I am hearing is to change the oil that it may have been contaminated when it was only running on 6-7 cylinders and had to drive it home in the city. After I got the plug wires on it started right up but was smoking it bit and smelled really rich of gas. It ran fine..I did go out on the highway and jump on it a bit nothing major, when I cam up to a light the lifters were making real light ticking. I took it home and parked it. Oil pressure was great and everything, two people have mentioned that the oil may have alot of gas in it and the oil is not making it to the top end. Two shops say so far change oild and test it and should be good???What do you guys think?? I really hope its that easy!

Challenger340

Changing the oil sounds like a good start, lets all hope it's the finish of the problem as well.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

deputycrawford

I had a problem with Comp Cams High lift series cam and the hydraulic lifters. The lifters would bleed down at RPM. I changed to a solid cam. What is the size of the cam, brand etc? Check the timing. Pull the plugs and see how they are doing, missing insulators, etc. I guess you could do all the usual stuff and check back with us. What is the weight of your oil? Stock rockers? Give us the run down please.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

gnrl01

Thanks for the tips guys, got him running like a champ again tonite. Checked all those plug wires again and come to find out none of them had snapped in tight. These msd wires were a royal muther to get on. Since I have large tubed headers and now heat sleeves over the wires they do not go on easy. Once I got them all on for sure tested him out and all the noises were gone, test drove and everything is cool now. I am glad cause I could not figure out why this was going on...not had any issue like this with him before.

dodge freak

Yeah they can be a bitch to put on but they won't pop off either on you. You see MSD makes their stuff for drag racers that spin the motors 8,000 rpm's. Some wires would come off but not MSD.