News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

head gaskets for a 270 poly motor 1955

Started by jerry, September 12, 2006, 10:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry

checked napa no listing for head gaskets .55 dodge royal.

Todd Wilson

Never heard of a 270 Poly motor.    There is a 270 Hemi motor.

31$ a piece

http://www.hothemiheads.com

Todd

jerry

in 55 the dodge royal , custom royal and royal lancer came with the 270 poly , or the 270 hemi.
both engines are 2-bbl.

Todd Wilson

You got a picture of the motor?   I find no listing for a 270 Poly anywhere.   270 Hemi. It was a dodge specific engine if I remember correctly.
Alll info I show for a 55 Royal    has 2 motor options.   The 230 flathead 6  or the 270 Hemi Red Ram. Are you sure of the year of car?  The poly's started to come out in 1956 with a 270 evolving into the 277.  Maybe you got an engine swap  or a late 55 car with a 56 Poly?!?!

Todd

John_Kunkel

There was indeed a 270 Poly, it was used in both Dodges and Plymouths; in '55-'56 Dodge called it the Red Ram and in '56 Plymouth called it the Hy-Fire.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 13, 2006, 04:12:10 PM
There was indeed a 270 Poly, it was used in both Dodges and Plymouths; in '55-'56 Dodge called it the Red Ram and in '56 Plymouth called it the Hy-Fire.

What i saw  was a 270 Poly starting in 56 which evolved into the 277 poly that ended up as the 301.    The 270 Red Ram Hemi was a different beast all together wasnt it?  The had the early Hemi engines and then in 1956 they started the Poly series of engines which ran until the LA came out.

Todd

jerry

the 55 royal red ram engine  is a 270 poly motor. the 270 hemi was called the super red ram.

Todd Wilson

This is interesting. I got one area that says Polys came out in 1956  but if I read the Royal information it had 2 engines the flathead or the 270 Hemi   but then I read more info on Royals and it talks of the 230,270 Poly and 270 Hemi.    The 270 Hemi was standard on Custom Royal while the flathed 230 was standard on Coronets. A flaw in information in my collected readings.

What transmission does your car have?

Todd

Challenger340

Wasn't the head gasket configuration common to both the 270 poly and the 270 HEMI anyways ?   I'm not sure, just I thought that was the case.
Might be worth comparing the old/removed poly head gasket to the new 270 HEMI one.

Just a thought.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

jerry

the transmission is a 2 speed auto with shifter on dash. i am new to all this foward look cars as they call them [55-61]. i have heard that the 270 poly and the 270 hemi share alot of parts.this car is in real nice shape for sitting in a barn for 35 yrs. i pulled the heads and the cyl walls look fine with no rust. but it is stuck. i used some PB blaster on it, now i guess its a wating game. car has 50,000 miles on it.

Challenger340

There is a Company building early HEMI head conversions for the early A poly's, I think it's the same head gasket you may be looking for. That, or the head gasket is common ?   Sorry, I don't have a link.

Sounds like a really nice old car, and a neat FIND !
Only wimps wear Bowties !