News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TRIPLE BLACK 69 R/T SE STRIPE DELETE,LEAVE THE VINYL OR LOSE THE VINYL ???

Started by 69 OUR/TEA, September 07, 2006, 10:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blusmbl

I vote to leave the top on as well.  I love the looks of vinyl tops on 'em, the 2nd gen Charger is one of very few cars that looks better with a vinyl top, IMHO.  My '68 is getting a vinyl top reinstalled.
Caintmakit Racing: Craptastic!
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram
-looking for another '68-'69 Charger

69 OUR/TEA

That's a beauty histoy,seeing pics like that temps me to grab the sandpaper!!!!!!! :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

Shakey

bull

Double black looks much better IMO. If it were me I'd have no qualms about ripping the vinyl off and throwing it in the gabage can next to the dog poo. Viinyl looks ok but it's a rust disaster waiting to happen on most cars, even if you think you've got the top prepped correctly.

RT/SE

Histoy, beautiful car!!!!! Shakey, I have worked under the car quite a bit.  I spent some time removing undercoating.  On the wood blocks, everything was nailed together using a nail gun.  They are very sturdy and have blocks in front and back of the tires.  Also, lots of testing was done before going under.  I would never do any kind of work which could rock the car.  Bull, your not kidding about vinyls causing problems.  On many of the Chargers I've looked at over the last 20+ years, vinyl tops in many cases were the cause of some serious roof rust and window channel rust.  This is especially true for the Chargers that sat outside.  I think any car getting a vinyl should have top notch prep work done underneath to reduce the risk of any future problems. 

Troy

If it were mine (assuming I would want a 69 any way :P), I'd leave the top on. Of course, my much more common car will be losing its vinyl top... or not. I welded the holes but still just can't decide. Two of my cars have rather unique color combos which is the only reason I'd consider putting the vinyl top back on them. The purist in me would make any rare car original though. As for the negatives of reinstalling a vinyl top, this car will be prepared much better than stock and see a whole lot less moisture so it should last several decades.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

histoy

My car came from Arizona, and had no rust under the original top.  The entire car was painted black before the top was applied, and I don't think it will see rust in my lifetime, nor my son's.

GottaB69

Hi, new here, this topic caught my eye because a triple black 69 charger is one of my favorite color combos, and  in my opinion one of the meanest looking there is. You're right it is YOUR CAR and you should be able to do what you choose with it, but I'm hard pressed with your decision to loose the vinyl top and no longer have a triple black car.  I do like the SE option, but I'm not a fan of the wood grain in the dash, and besides it's $$$$ if you have to buy it all new.

Well, I'm sure you'll make the best decision because it is YOUR CAR, and I wish you the best of luck with it, but personally I'd keep the vinyl top and lose the wood grain.

2fast4u

IMHO!               As much as I hate outdoor upholstery, I would keep it as a part of the car mostly due to its condition and rarity!!  It does accent the coke bottle design as well as make the car look like it has a cockpit with the vinyl top and chrome trim!

2fast
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

Pistolpete

I vote for going topless !!

I've been lucky  in that mine was a vinly top delete, I just  like the look, nice and clean!!

topless baby, topless!!
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

MGBRingo

I would leave the vinyl top on.  Nothing better than a triple black Charger in my opinion.  But of course it is your car.

Get rid of the blocks.  Those make me nervous even if they are nailed together.  You would be surprised how easy those will tip sideways.  Not worth taking the chance, we need all the Charger fans we can get.

Brock Samson

i'd say all things being equal leave the top,..
but what do i know im goin bling bling with my runner..  :icon_smile_wink:

TripleBlackGator

With a name like mine what do you think? Can you say A-Duh?
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

Hemidoug

I vote to go with the vinyl as original. The chrome accent along the c piller would really looks nice on a black car. I don't think you would be disapointed if you left it! :icon_smile_wink: :icon_smile_tongue:
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

1fine69

that is so awesome i too am not a big fan of vinyl tops but to have a triple black car well that is a must if you are restoring back to original. your buddy definently has one very very cool ride!  ;D
THE DEVIL'S A PIMP DON'T BE HIS HOE!

Back N Black

JW69

Personally I'd keep the vinyl but I suppose it wouldn't be hard to add the vinyl at a later date.

69 OUR/TEA

thanks everyone for replying,seems like more would leave the vinyl,keep the opinions coming!!!

Brock Samson

what ever happened?..  :shruggy:

here's my R/T S.E. originaly had a tan top and med bronze paint... Mine was 3xBlack for ten years... BTW...
anyhow, the bottom of the R and the top of the T straddle the crease...

charge69

I like them with or without the vinyl top and have considered leaving mine off when I restore mine. Pretty sure mine will have the vinyl top back on it when restored as it does provide a nice contrast for my color combination.  One thing to consider is the fact that in 1969, all R/T's came standard with the vinyl top and it would have to be special ordered to have the R/T delivered without the vinyl top!
It will look fantastic either way but I would put the vinyl top back on it.  Not as easy as you might think to put the vinyl top back on it if you weld up the holes for the trim if you change your mind.

Brock Samson

Not true, I've seen many R/Ts and S.E.s without Vynal, but most were sporting them...
perhaps we need some clarification on this point..

charge69

OK, got me to thinking about the vinyl top thing on R/T's so I broke out my 1969 Charger Brochure which I have not looked at for quite a while. I stand corrected as it does not list the vinyl top as standard equipment on any configuration of Charger. Only lists it as an option. I think I was told this a long time ago and never gave it much thought as I have seen only a few 1969 R/T's without them.

Brock Samson

i never paid that much attention to the taped (striped) cars, my R/T emblem holes are original and i never "tripped" on that,..
BTW here's a pic. of my Charger when it was tripple B with a custom painted stripe...  :icon_smile_wink: it had a souped up SB at this time in it's history... Pre '99.

ha ha,.. Pocket!  :nana: i was renaming pics and adding one...  :smilielol:

PocketThunder

Quote from: Brock Samson on November 15, 2007, 12:50:42 PM
i never paid that much attention to the taped (striped) cars, my R/T emblem holes are original and i never "tripped" on that,..
BTW here's a pic. of my Charger when it was tripple B with a custom painted stripe...  :icon_smile_wink: it had a souped up SB at this time in it's history... Pre '99.

:scope:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."